First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
As the owner of very comparable Bronco and Wrangler models, I decided I would do my best to provide honest feedback to those interested in the competition. A year ago, I provided a short-term review... now, after owning both vehicles simultaneously for over a year and a half, I believe I have enough info to provide a decent long-term review. NOTE: This is a comparison of stock vs. stock. From the factory. I am not talking about the Bronco Raptor, or the 392. I'm comparing below what would be the most apples to apples comparison that makes sense, IMO. This is based on technology, drivetrain, and sticker price.

I'll start with the TLDR: I like the Jeep better. Now, on to a description of each vehicle:

2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 4dr ($56K)
Sasquatch Package
2.7L TT
High Technology Package
About 40,000 Miles
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. JL Long-Term Review CO_Nice

2022 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon ($63K)
XR Package
3.6L E-Torque
Pretty much everything but Advanced Safety Package
About 20,000 Miles
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. JL Long-Term Review ROCKY22

The pics above are both vehicles in their mostly stock form. I have made some modifications to each, which I will address below. I have decided to split the review into separate categories for ease of comparison, and to make sure I don't miss anything.

Styling: TIE
I'll keep this simple since this is a very subjective category. Both vehicles pay homage to their ancient predecessors. Both vehicles have ample aftermarket for decals, wraps, and modifications that give you the ability to truly make it your own. And in my experience, people on the JL forums think Broncos look stupid, and people on the Bronco forums think Jeeps looks stupid... to each their own!

Comfort: BRONCO (but barely)
Right when I purchased the Bronco I would have placed it first in this category without a second thought. The seats are more comfortable, the interior space is larger for more legroom, more storage for gear, equipment, groceries, etc. BUT there are a couple of areas that the Jeep actually now is coming through. First, the jeep feels more solid. This is a common complain amongst Bronco owners, the plastics feel cheaper in the Bronco. I don't believe they actually are cheaper, and they aren't likely to deteriorate any faster, but they definitely FEEL like they will. The main difference in is the technology buttons, where the Bronco wins hands down, I'll address that more in detail later. Also, the Jeep has cup holders for the rear seats, and the Bronco does not.... that ends up being way more annoying than you'd think! The other area that the Jeep clearly wins in in the soft top. It was no secret that the Bronco had issues with suppliers for the tops in the first year, and it shows in the quality of the finished product. The soft top on the Bronco is LOUD. Yes it is louder now also because of the light bar that has since been installed, but even before that, it was just loud. We get a sound like popping popcorn when we are on the interstate, and we have to shove some towels up their to quiet it down.
All that being said... there's a reason the Bronco has 40,000 miles on it and the Jeep is only at 20,000. The Bronco is our trip vehicle. It has more power, it's safer in an accident, it doesn't wander on the highway as much (IFS vs Solid Axle), more leg room and storage.

Aftermarket: TIE
Both vehicles have excellent aftermarket support nowadays. Yes it took the Bronco a while to catch up, but I would say it's there now. I can google it and find almost every major off road manufacturer now has armor, lift kits, lighting options, storage upgrades, etc. Even amazon now has all of the amazon special bumpers where 5 "different" manufacturers use the same product image. This is a tie.

Technology: BRONCO (for now)
I think the Bronco wins here just because it is newer. The screen is a true 12 inch screen, it's like an IPad on your dash, and the interface is smooth. This compared to the 8.4" on the JL, which is still very responsive... it's just smaller. Next, I do Android Auto... Bronco has wireless, the JL does not. BOTH systems have had small issues with Android Auto, so I can't say either is better, but I'm currently using GAIA GPS on both flawlessly right now.
So the real meat and potatoes of the technology is in the off-road tech, which I give to the Bronco for the following reasons. The lockers and sway bars work always and immediately. No blinking lights while I have to wait a few seconds, or even drive 50 yards before it kicks in. They just always work. Next, they're located in a much better spot from the factory, up on the dash as opposed to down low behind the shifter and 4WD selector. I do like the manual selector for 4WD on the JL better, BUT we have not be left stranded by the electronic selector on the Bronco yet, so other than the peace of mind with the manual selector, I don't have anything negative to say about the Bronco there. Next, the GOAT modes, vs. Off-Road plus. I'll just be honest, I use neither. They both change shift points and throttle response, and I understand the reasons, but in both vehicles it's something I could do without. The main benefit of each is lockers in 4H. I consider these features a TIE. Cameras... Bronco wins. I have a 360 degree view, plus the cameras on the side mirrors that look down on the sidewall of your front tires in 4L is just sick. Jeep does have a way better sound system... but all in all, Bronco wins this category.

Going Nekkid!!!!: JEEP
Both of these vehicles are soft tops because we go topless a LOT. Getting doors on and off is the same for each, one is not better or easier and they take the same amount of time. Bronco scores a point by having the mirrors NOT attached to the doors, one less thing you have to worry about. Removing the back windows is pretty much the same for each, but putting them back on the Jeep wins easily. It's just engineering better. And actually, from this point the jeep wins when it comes to folding the top back as well. They both fold back once for sunrider mode easy enough. But getting it ALL the way back, the Jeep's mechanism is smoother. The Broncos is very heavy, and the latches are starting to get more and more difficult to work as time goes on. Plus I have to fight with it for a minute to lock it into place. And it's more difficult to put back up. Ya, Jeep just did way better here. I want to buy a BESTOP for the Bronco, wife just hasn't approved the funds yet. When the top is finally all the way back, we have a mesh top on each that works great here in the AZ sun.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. JL Long-Term Review char4

Towing: BRONCO (not even a competition)
I have an 1800 lb. off road trailer. I have towed with both vehicles. Bronco just has more power. I don't even feel the trailer back there. The Jeep did better towing before I put it on 37s, but it was still worse than the Bronco. I'm not saying the Jeep is bad at towing.... just that the Bronco wins. YES, you could easily say the 392, or the diesel, would possibly tow better than the 2.7L Bronco. Maybe. But I don't have those to compare, the 392 is way more expensive, and diesel is dead.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. JL Long-Term Review turtleback222

On-Road Handling: BRONCO
I'm not going to talk too much about this. IFS vs. Solid Axle. Anyone who says the solid axle drives better on the road is lying. Stop lying. Bronco wins.

Off-Road Handling: JEEP (but it's closer than you think)
I know this is the part most people are going to be interested in, and this is why IMO the Jeep is the better off-road vehicle. I don't think this should be a surprise for anyone here, but I do want to call out that what I have learned is that, if done correctly, IFS can get you through a LOT... and Ford did this IFS right.
So let's dive into the real question.... HOW IMPORTANT IS THE FLEX??? The Bronco has proven that it only needs 3 wheels on the ground to go where the Jeep goes. Let me explain... it all comes down to how they've balanced the vehicle. I can't tell you how many times I went through an obstacle and used the flex to my advantage in the Jeep, only to have the Bronco walk through the same obstacle, on practically the same line, throw a tire 3 feet in the air... success. In the Bronco, half the time you don't even know the tire is in the air, it just feels so stable. Not al this rocking back and forth like the jeep would do. It throws a tire, but still feels very planted the entire time. Good job Ford engineers.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. JL Long-Term Review 666666666666

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. JL Long-Term Review elvis1

Let's move on to size. You'll noticed I did a fender delete on the Bronco. That's because if we didn't remove the fenders, the trails would have. The Bronco is bigger and less maneuverable, there is no way around that. It has some pretty deep pin striping. There is a reason I primarily use the Jeep to go on all of the narrow hunting trails here in AZ. Otherwise, the wheel track is pretty much exactly the same as the Jeep. The JL actually has a 2 inch longer wheel base, and that has actually made a difference on some obstacles and given the Bronco an advantage, or vice versa, but it's slight.

Gearing: both are fine. awesome control in 4L. Tie here. Not much to say

Now on to why I choose the Jeep over the Bronco. That is going to be entirely because of 37s. I spent about $1K (not including wheels and tires) and now on 37s I feel unstoppable in the JL. For the Bronco, to go to 37s immediately I can actually do it cheaper, BUT I will not gain as much capability until I do a true coil-over lift for about $4K. And even then, the Bronco will be wider than the Jeep. And I'll want to invest in a lot of Armor as a result. The obstacles have taken a jump in difficulty, and type of wheeling I want to do matches the JL better.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. JL Long-Term Review mesadelaosa3

CONCLUSION: I like the Jeep better, but I promise you the Bronco is a way more capable vehicle than people here give it credit for. You can't just sit there and say "Jeep wins cuz solid axle" anymore. Because as you use your Jeep to get through an obstacle, look behind you, there is a Bronco following you. You cannot say that about 4runners and other competitors without heavy modifications. Bronco and 4Runner might compete in the market place, but they don't compete on the trails. Bronco crushes it. My honest feeling is that the stock Bronco detailed above will go 99% of the places that people on these forums go, and if you start modding it.... then may the richer man win! oh and FYSA.... my wife would pick the Bronco.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. JL Long-Term Review jeepandbronco

What the JL looks like today, just cuz =)
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. JL Long-Term Review char111

broncos.jpg
Sponsored

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Meh, the Bronco copied the Jeep and added the bougie road manners.

BetOnBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Supreme Leader of IT
How are your Tie rods on the Bronco holding up? I hear a lots of complaints from people that go offroading that the bend and break easily. Some company ended up making basically a clamp that goes over them to strengthen them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
How are your Tie rods on the Bronco holding up? I hear a lots of complaints from people that go offroading that the bend and break easily. Some company ended up making basically a clamp that goes over them to strengthen them.
Tie rods are only an issue if you lift the bronco and mess with the geometry. If you actually talk to service departments, stock Broncos are not having any tie rod issues, or at least very minimal. Mine are perfectly fine right now. When I lift it and put it on 37s, I will spend $50 on a set of tie rod braces to mostly solve that issue. Ill spend another $50 on a Teflon bushing to help guide the tie rod into the steering rack. Noone who has done those 2 things are experiencing any issues. Also, ill note that newer Broncos have steering upgrades to fix that from the factory.

Cov

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Covfefe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I only wish Jeep took notes from bronco's sport bar delete and frameless windows. Bronco did a poor job with the cargo belt line, making it so high that you can't see much behind you with the top folded, but I do love how incredibly open their top is with no sport bar.

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I only wish Jeep took notes from bronco's sport bar delete and frameless windows. Bronco did a poor job with the cargo belt line, making it so high that you can't see much behind you with the top folded, but I do love how incredibly open their top is with no sport bar.
It's definitely awesome having that huge open air feeling, but that's also why the Broncos sound system isn't as good. There are no speakers anywhere in the center of the vehicle, unlike the wrangler. I'm not saying the wranglers is amazing.... but it makes a huge difference.

Also, I agree that you don't have a lot of visibility with the top back on the bronco, but personally that has not been something that has been a problem for me or my wife. I understand the complaint tho.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Forgot to add something important: maintenance and service.

The bronco had been in for a few recalls, mostly small things. We haven't had any drive train issues tho. Thing runs solid. The soft top on the other hand, we replaced under warranty because the seals went bad.... as I said, the stock soft top is terrible.

JL had only had one main issue: I had to have the rear locker sensor replaced under warranty. Luckily they don't have to swap the whole axle anymore to do that. But it went out on a trail, suddenly locker unusable, and for a couple of days it said I was locked in 2H when I clearly wasn't. In and out of dealership in a day, been fine since.

hemiblas

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi, 2018 JLU Rubi, 2023 Bronco base SAS
I have both as well. It seems like the visibility is better on the Jeep as well. I havent off-roaded the Bronco, but I feel like I wouldnt be able to see as much of the trail or line up as well than with my jeep. Wife prefers the Bronco as well. The advanced 4x4 is pretty awesome and such a solid feel in snow or rain. I've been driving the jeep, but I do like to go back and forth. They are each so different.

AK21

First Name
AK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee L
Great review. Thank you and enjoy your Jeep and Bronco.
I purchased 2024 Willys and thought about the Bronco but there is something special in the Jeep that is not quantified but steered me to choose it. It was just more fun for me compared to the Bronco (test drives).
The Bronco's 2.7 engine is hands down the better between the 2. It's very powerful and pretty reliable.

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Great review. Thank you and enjoy your Jeep and Bronco.
I purchased 2024 Willys and thought about the Bronco but there is something special in the Jeep that is not quantified but steered me to choose it. It was just more fun for me compared to the Bronco (test drives).
The Bronco's 2.7 engine is hands down the better between the 2. It's very powerful and pretty reliable.
We never even considered the 2.3, we knew we wanted the bigger engine right away, and we're glad we went with it. I totally get what you mean about the jeep, I feel the same way. I just enjoy it more while driving it than the Bronco. My wife loves the bronco tho, she just won an award at a car show this weekend with it. So ya, I'm sure we'll always have one of each.