Block Heater Cord -- Found it!

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
Did you get the Cold Weather Group as an option with your 2018 Wrangler JL. Can't find the plug in cord for it.

Watch this video/ It's a Jk in the video but cord is in same place on a JL:

Place bulb grease, etc. on each of the 3 prongs and keep covered to ward off corrosion.

2018 JLU
kkk.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
In the video, it is a JK. Is it in the same place on the JL?

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
In the video, it is a JK. Is it in the same place on the JL?
Yes, same place. See pic I posted just below embedded video. That pic is of a JLU.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How exactly does it heat the engine block? Does it warm the coolant or oil? Where is the heating element? I'm just curious because normally my JL is in the garage, but tonight we get the beginning of the arctic blast so I decided, just for weird fun, to leave it outside and plug it in. I'm going to see what the temp gauges show tomorrow when I start her up.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I left my JL out in the driveway last night and plugged it in. It got down to about 10 degrees or so. Early this morning, I unplugged it and started her up. It started the same as if it were 80 degrees, with no noise, no groaning, no fuss. I checked the coolant temp and it showed 70 degrees. The oil temp showed 48 degrees. Looks like it works beautifully! I will say this, though: Even with a head start from the block heater, my 3.8 JK's heater starts blowing warm air faster and gets so hot you can't have the heat blowing through the vent on your hand. It's heater can just flat run you out. The JL can get good and hot, but it takes soooo much longer to get there. The heated seats and wheel make up for a little of it, but if I had to trek across the frozen tundra, I'd have a tough time deciding which Jeep to take. If based on heat alone, the JK's blast furnace would give it the nod.

TJ01

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler JLUR
I left my JL out in the driveway last night and plugged it in. It got down to about 10 degrees or so. Early this morning, I unplugged it and started her up. It started the same as if it were 80 degrees, with no noise, no groaning, no fuss. I checked the coolant temp and it showed 70 degrees. The oil temp showed 48 degrees. Looks like it works beautifully! I will say this, though: Even with a head start from the block heater, my 3.8 JK's heater starts blowing warm air faster and gets so hot you can't have the heat blowing through the vent on your hand. It's heater can just flat run you out. The JL can get good and hot, but it takes soooo much longer to get there. The heated seats and wheel make up for a little of it, but if I had to trek across the frozen tundra, I'd have a tough time deciding which Jeep to take. If based on heat alone, the JK's blast furnace would give it the nod.
I’ve got the cold weather package but don’t see cord. Was it tucked away or like the pics?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@TJ01

Not all JL's with the Cold Weather Package have the block heater. At first the Cold Weather Package included the block heater but then FCA removed the block heater from that option package..

Pic below shows the block heater, cord/plug location on a 3.6. On a 2.0 engine JL, the cord/plug will be found on the other side of the engine compartment. Hard to miss if it is there you will see it.

kkk.jpeg

TJ01

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler JLUR
@TJ01

Not all JL's with the Cold Weather Package have the block heater. At first the Cold Weather Package included the block heater but then FCA removed the block heater from that option package..

Pic below shows the block heater, cord/plug location on a 3.6. On a 2.0 engine JL, the cord/plug will be found on the other side of the engine compartment. Hard to miss if it is there you will see it.

kkk.jpeg
Thanks. I ordered mine last feb hope it has it. If not will it be like my diesels? Have the block heater and just need cord? Thanks

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I ordered mine last feb hope it has it. If not will it be like my diesels? Have the block heater and just need cord? Thanks
I think it really isn't necessary. It is more of a novelty to me. If you are running a high quality 0w20 full synthetic like Mobil 1, Pennzoil, or Valvoline, your Jeep will start right up with no issue. These oils will flow anywhere from -40 degrees to -60. I have Mobil 1 AP in mine and I think it would have fired right up with no issue, even without the heat. I wouldn't worry about it unless I lived someplace like Yellowknife or something, Lol!

Sponsored

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
I think it really isn't necessary. It is more of a novelty to me. If you are running a high quality 0w20 full synthetic like Mobil 1, Pennzoil, or Valvoline, your Jeep will start right up with no issue. These oils will flow anywhere from -40 degrees to -60. I have Mobil 1 AP in mine and I think it would have fired right up with no issue, even without the heat. I wouldn't worry about it unless I lived someplace like Yellowknife or something, Lol!
Careful with mobile 1 oils since they do not meet the ms 6395 spec. Seen a few guys get denied engine warranty over it in the JK platform

Also all Canadian spec built Jeeps come with a block heater no matter the trim or package

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Careful with mobile 1 oils since they do not meet the ms 6395 spec. Seen a few guys get denied engine warranty over it in the JK platform

Also all Canadian spec built Jeeps come with a block heater no matter the trim or package
I've never seen that happen to anyone. I have no worries. The Magnusson Moss Act in the US makes that situation a little harder for them. They'd have to prove the oil caused the problem. Good luck to them proving that with Mobil 1, especially EP or AP, which have superior base stocks to Pennzoil and most other synthetics. I get a used oil analysis by Blackstone Labs with every change, too, showing no unusual wear, at all. That would be hard to refute.

That reminds me...I had a friend with a JK 3.8 whose engine ran out of oil and seized up at about 40k miles. He took it in and admitted he didn't check the oil between changes. They never asked him anything except if he had the oil changed, to which he replied he did, every 6k miles. They covered it and replaced the engine. They never asked him the brand of oil or filter, or even the weight of it. They never asked for records. Of course, they knew the 3.8 had oil consumption issues, though. That was the dealership where I bought mine, btw. They were great to him.

As for the block heater, I was wondering if those were a standard feature up north. I couldn't imagine not having it with the extreme low temps that are common up there. It initially came with the cold weather package, but later eliminated it. I got mine before they made the change. It sure works well! I just don't really need it. It doesn't get that cold here, and when it does get below zero, it doesn't last too long.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
I've never seen that happen to anyone. I have no worries. The Magnusson Moss Act in the US makes that situation a little harder for them. They'd have to prove the oil caused the problem. Good luck to them proving that with Mobil 1, especially EP or AP, which have superior base stocks to Pennzoil and most other synthetics. I get a used oil analysis by Blackstone Labs with every change, too, showing no unusual wear, at all. That would be hard to refute.

That reminds me...I had a friend with a JK 3.8 whose engine ran out of oil and seized up at about 40k miles. He took it in and admitted he didn't check the oil between changes. They never asked him anything except if he had the oil changed, to which he replied he did, every 6k miles. They covered it and replaced the engine. They never asked him the brand of oil or filter, or even the weight of it. They never asked for records. Of course, they knew the 3.8 had oil consumption issues, though. That was the dealership where I bought mine, btw. They were great to him.

As for the block heater, I was wondering if those were a standard feature up north. I couldn't imagine not having it with the extreme low temps that are common up there. It initially came with the cold weather package, but later eliminated it. I got mine before they made the change. It sure works well! I just don't really need it. It doesn't get that cold here, and when it does get below zero, it doesn't last too long.
Might have a hard time under the act when the motor has specific grade and specs listed. Be like pouring a 50w in and expecting warranty when the valve train burns up. Not saying mobile 1 is poor oil, just saying they will find ways to deny if they want too. Even read of a few guys get a hard time From FCA due to oil filter choice, mopar undated the design in 14 so there is 2 types of filters from them but only one from the aftermarket world

Even tho I’ve had black heater is most of my vehicles, I’ve only ever plugged in a handful of times lol they do work nice to get some heat circulating inside the Jeep. Still will let it idle for a few minutes to allow the trans to come up more in temp.
In extreme cold I’ve thrown the t case in neutral and the trans in first on my manuals to help warm up the oil inside. Make the shifts a little more smoother

SilverBug86

First Name
John Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Update: the plug is on the passenger side for diesel owners, near the front end.
Sponsored