Sponsored

Any alternative headrests?

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I've turned mine around & was looking at the pads Der suggested to help offset the rearward tilt. I was putting in my shipping location & noticed the option of shipping an item to...the San Diego county jail??? (Disclaimer: I'm not currently IN the S.D. county jail, for those wondering)
Jeep Wrangler JL Any alternative headrests? Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 15-52-05 50.85US $ Lantsun Jl1252 Car Pillow For Jeep For Wrangler Jk

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4-door)
Do you have any photos of this? Or Part Numbers? This is the first suggestion that I'm interested in checking out.
So after seeing this post I did just that, and more.

Purchased Jeep Compass headrest. Part # 6WL9 3DX9 AB - 001. Black, fabric, tilting headrest. $136 from my local dealer. Got gray at first by accident, they wanted like $95 for it but I had them order the black before I realized I could swap the cover. My headrests in my Rubicon are leather but I wanted tilting/ratcheting so I didn't really care it was fabric.
Fit perfect, but quickly started thinking... Hey that's pretty close to the stock headrest size and shape. Wonder if I could swap the leather cover onto the tilting headrest... It took some doing but I was able to make the swap. I did a bit of Google-fu and found that once you had the cover off of both you could put a plastic bag around the headrest and use a vacuum to shrink the foam down a little bit, making it easier to put on the leather cover.
Jeep Wrangler JL Any alternative headrests? 20230330_172215

Fabric headrest on leather seat.

Jeep Wrangler JL Any alternative headrests? 20230330_173120

Jeep Wrangler JL Any alternative headrests? 20230330_175703

fabric cover pulled off of tilting headrest
Jeep Wrangler JL Any alternative headrests? 20230330_175345

Stock headrest with cover off. Note the remains of the plastic bag used during manufacturing to vacuum out the air to shrink it when installing the cover
Jeep Wrangler JL Any alternative headrests? 20230330_182749

Finished product. I tore like 1" of stitching on the fabric part on the bottom and stitched it back together without issue.
At first I had ordered :
Front Headrest - Mopar (6WL93SA5AD)
2022 Jeep Compass - 6wl93sa5ad

Consider getting that one if you can find it cheaper than the black since you're swapping the cover anyways.

Here's what I bought:

Jeep Wrangler JL Any alternative headrests? 20230330_160806

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
So after seeing this post I did just that, and more.

Purchased Jeep Compass headrest. Part # 6WL9 3DX9 AB - 001. Black, fabric, tilting headrest. $136 from my local dealer. Got gray at first by accident, they wanted like $95 for it but I had them order the black before I realized I could swap the cover. My headrests in my Rubicon are leather but I wanted tilting/ratcheting so I didn't really care it was fabric.
Fit perfect, but quickly started thinking... Hey that's pretty close to the stock headrest size and shape. Wonder if I could swap the leather cover onto the tilting headrest... It took some doing but I was able to make the swap. I did a bit of Google-fu and found that once you had the cover off of both you could put a plastic bag around the headrest and use a vacuum to shrink the foam down a little bit, making it easier to put on the leather cover.

Jeep Wrangler JL Any alternative headrests? 20230330_160806

Wait wait WAIT! Are you saying for roughly $100/headrest, you have adjustable, tilting headrests? Seriously???? And it was that easy? How well does the leather fit on the new Compass headrest?

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait wait WAIT! Are you saying for roughly $100/headrest, you have adjustable, tilting headrests? Seriously???? And it was that easy? How well does the leather fit on the new Compass headrest?
Yes, that's what I'm saying. :)
"That easy" is subjective. Getting the covers off was a pain. The initial plastic closure is kind of a pain to undo. Maybe Google how to do it correctly. I used pliers and kinda forced it open. Popped a couple stitches this way.
Ended up clamping one leg of each headrest on a bench vise (with the rubber bench vise grips on there) and pulling each cover off.
Once they were bare had the wife hold the bag/vacuum setup, used my hands to squeeze the foam to shrink it more, and then the cover went on super easy. You end up tearing the plastic bag and leaving a lot of it under the cover, but that's also how it came from the factory. I used a smaller garbage bag from our small bathroom garbage, not a large kitchen garbage bag.
The leather cover fit surprisingly well considering the geometry of each headrest was slightly different. Couple puckers as you can see. Also see my crappy stitching in the pictures below where I tore it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Any alternative headrests? 20230330_203517

Jeep Wrangler JL Any alternative headrests? 20230330_203529

Jeep Wrangler JL Any alternative headrests? 20230330_203607
Jeep Wrangler JL Any alternative headrests? 20230330_203522

Jeep Wrangler JL Any alternative headrests? 20230330_203556

Jeep Wrangler JL Any alternative headrests? 20230330_203553
Jeep Wrangler JL Any alternative headrests? 20230330_204323

The bag I used

Last edited:

Sponsored

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Yes, that's what I'm saying. :)
"That easy" is subjective. Getting the covers off was a pain. The initial plastic closure is kind of a pain to undo. Maybe Google how to do it correctly. I used pliers and kinda forced it open. Popped a couple stitches this way.
Ended up clamping one leg of each headrest on a bench vise (with the rubber bench vise grips on there) and pulling each cover off.
Once they were bare had the wife hold the bag/vacuum setup, used my hands to squeeze the foam to shrink it more, and then the cover went on super easy. You end up tearing the plastic bag and leaving a lot of it under the cover, but that's also how it came from the factory. I used a smaller garbage bag from our small bathroom garbage, not a large kitchen garbage bag.
The leather cover fit surprisingly well considering the geometry of each headrest was slightly different. Couple puckers as you can see. Also see my crappy stitching in the pictures below where I tore it.
Dude, I'm seriously impressed. Going to go out this weekend & mess with mine to see if I want to tackle it. Thanks!

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
@Timmybung Thatā€™s pretty sweet! Will probably try this as well.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
@Timmybung sorry, am I reading correctly that this is just a straight switch if you werenā€™t changing the covers? Do the headrest adjust by ratcheting ?

Sponsored

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Timmybung sorry, am I reading correctly that this is just a straight switch if you werenā€™t changing the covers? Do the headrest adjust by ratcheting ?
Yes exactly. It moves up and down like stock but also tilts/ratchets forward and back. Direct install / straight switch.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know, thanks for trying this out!

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
Yes exactly. It moves up and down like stock but also tilts/ratchets forward and back. Direct install / straight switch.
Over at the Compass forum I see a lot of people complaining about how far forward these head rests push your head out (even in the totally ā€œbackā€ position). It does sound like the people complaining like to sit more vertical (not reclined), so maybe thatā€™s the issue? How do the new head rests feel regarding the aforementioned? Do you recline your seat a bit or sit more vertically? Iā€™m doing this mod for my wife who does like to sit more vertically, so maybe these wonā€™t work.
Sponsored