Sponsored

Alabama Hills

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
But the fishing rock seemed huge!

Wow, a serious movie buff. I bow down to your superior wisdom. (In this category) I've never even watched the stuff after the second movie ; I loved that one slightly less.

The later stuff looked interesting. Flying graboids? Missed the series too.

Is the cliff/canyon from the final scene nearby also? Maybe I should plan a location-shot road trip.
Sponsored

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
But the fishing rock seemed huge!

Wow, a serious movie buff. I bow down to your superior wisdom. (In this category) I've never even watched the stuff after the second movie ; I loved that one slightly less.

The later stuff looked interesting. Flying graboids? Missed the series too.

Is the cliff/canyon from the final scene nearby also? Maybe I should plan a location-shot road trip.
Just actually got back from camping over the past week and stopped by Alabama Hills to get some updated Tremors pics for this thread...

Jeep Wrangler JL Alabama Hills tremors1

Here's the corner where the road crew gets eaten.

Jeep Wrangler JL Alabama Hills tremors2

And the rock where they spent the night.

Believe it or not, the cliff in that opening scene (where Val is pissing off the cliff) is actually a really fantastic matte painting by a VFX artist named Rick Rische! I believe the actual shot (sans cliff) is in the same area as the overnighting rock. They did a lot of shots in that general area.

If you keep watching the films, I recommend stopping after the 4th one. The 5th thru whatever the latest current one is... are all completely terrible.

The TV series is fun and can be picked up for cheap. And it was filmed mostly around Valencia, near Magic Mountain. I haven't been able to scout those spots, however, since it's mostly either quarries / private property or has been paved over for sub-developments.

And even if you aren't a movie buff... Lone Pine & Alabama Hills are worth it just for things like this alone...

Jeep Wrangler JL Alabama Hills tbDSC_8239c

Jeep Wrangler JL Alabama Hills tbDSC_8165c