• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 11, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 11, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
Sponsored

Pennsylvania Adjustable lower front control arms

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My two door 2020 Wrangler Sport S (JL) has Rubicon take-off axles (Dana M210/M220), an AEV Dual Sport 2.5” lift, and 35” tires.

I tried to schedule an alignment today. I called two shops that do trucks to see if they can align a Jeep. They both asked if I have adjustable lower front control arms.

I don’t. Apparently that limits the shops’ ability to adjust caster/camber (I did some digging and now I have [kind of] an idea what that means).

My AEV Dual Sport 2.5” lift came with geometry brackets. The jeep drove fine, or I didn’t notice any issues. However since I moved to 35s, steering and handling feels a bit off.

So in looking at options, I’m a bit perplexed.

Apparently the different designs can use rubber or polyurethane bushings. Where rubber requires greasing, and polyurethane does not.

Some designs have bushings on both ends, and some only have a bushing front and a “Y” at the frame end. I don’t have a clue about the Dual bushing versus single bushing designs.

Any recommendations for a newbie on what to get?
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

My two door 2020 Wrangler Sport S (JL) has Rubicon take-off axles (Dana M210/M220), an AEV Dual Sport 2.5” lift, and 35” tires.

I tried to schedule an alignment today. I called two shops that do trucks to see if they can align a Jeep. They both asked if I have adjustable lower front control arms.

I don’t. Apparently that limits the shops’ ability to adjust caster/camber (I did some digging and now I have [kind of] an idea what that means).

My AEV Dual Sport 2.5” lift came with geometry brackets. The jeep drove fine, or I didn’t notice any issues. However since I moved to 35s, steering and handling feels a bit off.

So in looking at options, I’m a bit perplexed.

Apparently the different designs can use rubber or polyurethane bushings. Where rubber requires greasing, and polyurethane does not.

Some designs have bushings on both ends, and some only have a bushing front and a “Y” at the frame end. I don’t have a clue about the Dual bushing versus single bushing designs.

Any recommendations for a newbie on what to get?
the ones with a Y at one end are upper control arms. you adjust the caster with either uppers or lowers. camber is not affected since you have a solid axle. camber is the "butterfly" of the wheels when you have independent suspension.

first buy an angle finder and check the caster yourself, you may be within spec. if you have AEV lift and their brackets, you probably are. that's what the brackets are for.

so if anything, you may just need to adjust your toe which you can do fairly easily yourself. if it drove fine before the 35s, then it may be the air pressure you are running in the tires. i run mine at about 30psi cold. tire shops and the dealer put way too much air in the tires.

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I ordered a set of Currie control arms. They’re adjustable and have the Johnny joint on both ends. Unfortunately I don’t have the tools or knowledge to handle this on my own, but good info, learning a lot, thanks!

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
What do you mean when you say handling feels a bit off? The handling will change when you move to a bigger, and more importantly wider tire. Different sidewall characteristics, higher center of gravity, more road contact area will all impact the feel. Too much air will make it ride stiff, will affect steering characteristics because you are driving on the center part of the tread. Lower air pressure rides nicer, but too low and it can start to feel sloppy or loose from sidewall play. Wider tires also generally tend to get pulled around more by groves in the road. If your alignment was fine before the tires, there's no reason it would be out now because you changed tires. If your jeep was out if alignment before the tires though, bigger tires can accentuate the problem and make it more noticeable.
Sponsored