2021 vs 2013 wrangler

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Auto start stop is stupid and annoying but you can turn it off with hitting a button
Smart Stop Start is an excellent dongle to resolve this. It remembers the button setting that was last set. So if you turn the jeep off, you won't have to turn ESS off again unless someone pushes that button changing the setting. Owner is a jeeper and forum member too
Sponsored

21 Willys

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys Sarge Green
Jeep Cares (not my dealer) just updated me that my new Jeep is in the shipping phase! I haven’t had a chance to drive the new Jeep’s. I know there’s going to be a lot more technology since my sport from 2013. Has anyone went from a 13 to 21? Will it drive differently? Will I notice any big changes?
I am also going from a 2013 Sport to 2021. I will watching as I am interested in seeing the responses.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I went from a 2013 JKU Sport S (commando green) to a 2021 JLU Rubicon. My JKU was 6 speed manual and I really loved it. I had no intention of getting rid of it. Had a guy offer me almost what I paid for it brand new and my wife said lets upgrade to auto Rubicon....

The 8 speed auto makes me not miss the manual while daily driving. I stuck with the 3.6 due to familiarity. The acceleration of the '21 feels much better though I did go from 3.73 gears to 4.10. The overall quality feels nicer as well and I kept my '13 in very good condition. The door handles are much nicer for my kids as they can actually open them now. The '13 was difficult for them due to the design. I had a hard top on both Jeeps and the '21 has better rear view visibility.

So far, no real negatives to the '21 (besides no commando green). The overall Jeep feeling is still there, just feels more refreshed. Enjoy your new Jeep!

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
2013 JK Sport S with a Softop. To a 2020 JL Willys with a Hard Top.

What can I say, there are enough differences and almost an equal amount of sameness for me/
Soft Top vs Hard Top. A bit quieter which is good for the traveling my retired wife and myself do. A bit more security which is fine also, but I miss the capability of just flipping open the top anytime I want too. The freedom tops are okay, just not as easy to deal with. A Bestop Sunrider top WILL be the way I get the best out of both style tops, at least for me.

I had 3.73’s in both and with 6 speed sticks I feel that the 2013 was geared better than the 2020. The 2013 was a shifter attached directly to the tranny where as the 2020 is a cable shifted tranny. I have adapted to the 2020 pretty well and the improvements is MPG is a noticeable thing.

Aftermarket LED Headlights. Much better than the Stock halogens on either vehicle, same with the foglights. Tail lights are smoked and they will be swapped out next year for som much brighter LED’s. I want those behind me to KNOW what I am doing without a second guess.

I did a few upgrades to the 2013, but nothing really crazy. Changed to ACE Rock rails, Rubicon Take off Shocks, 1st Gen Firestone Destination M/T tires, and a Banks Air intake.

The 2020 was slightly modded with almost everything that it looks like I did a color change to the 2013 instead of buying a used Jeep.

Other than a speaker upgrade coming soon at least to the front corners, the BESTOP, and the LED Tail lights, I think that will be all that I’ll do in the near future.
Sponsored