Sponsored

2018 JLU in Naples Italy , good or bad move ?

Should I take my JLU to Italy ?

• Total voters
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Hey guys , thinking about moving my 2 door JLU to Naples Italy with me , going to be stationed there for 2 years , do really plan on driving it much while I’m the because I’ve read the roads are really small & locals there drive crazy , my main goal while I’m there as far as my Jeep is just to maintain it up until I leave .

8711D60E-4B79-4626-A85F-7987E1C1ADBF.jpeg
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
I've been to Calabria to unfortunately see my dad's family (got stuck there, bored out of my mind), and it'd be fine

I saw a 2dr Land Crusher manual in my dad's home town, so a 2dr should be fine

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I lived in Naples, Italy, for over 5 years and I would not have a car there that I care about. Driving is crazy! The laws are just general guidelines in case someone gets hurt and then it's still debatable. I had a half-dozen or so incidents during my time there and they were basically just shrugged off without anyone even stopping. I always bought cheap native cars that I didn't mind getting banged up and then it was kinda fun. Now, having said that, you might be at an advantage with a Jeep with over-sized tires and steel bumpers. There is no doubt the Jeep will intimidate most of the drivers there. However, you may also have issues squeezing through some of the tight streets but that wouldn't be a very common problem unless you try to drive all over downtown Naples or some other Italian towns. I doubt you'll find many opportunities to go wheelin' over there but that's just a guess. Parts may be a little more difficult to get but you'll be able to rely on the USPS to get you anything ordered online. If it was me (assuming you're military), I'd take advantage of the privilege to store it during your tour. It'll be like new when you get back.

BTW...Naples can be a great tour if you keep that adventurous spirit. Don't be intimidated. Get out there and see it all. It's an amazing region (no doubt my all-time favorite place). The local Italians are also amazing people. Make some friends and they'll be friends for life.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
I lived in Naples, Italy, for over 5 years and I would not have a car there that I care about. Driving is crazy! The laws are just general guidelines in case someone gets hurt and then it's still debatable. I had a half-dozen or so incidents during my time there and they were basically just shrugged off without anyone even stopping. I always bought cheap native cars that I didn't mind getting banged up and then it was kinda fun. Now, having said that, you might be at an advantage with a Jeep with over-sized tires and steel bumpers. There is no doubt the Jeep will intimidate most of the drivers there. However, you may also have issues squeezing through some of the tight streets but that wouldn't be a very common problem unless you try to drive all over downtown Naples or some other Italian towns. I doubt you'll find many opportunities to go wheelin' over there but that's just a guess. Parts may be a little more difficult to get but you'll be able to rely on the USPS to get you anything ordered online. If it was me (assuming you're military), I'd take advantage of the privilege to store it during your tour. It'll be like new when you get back.

BTW...Naples can be a great tour if you keep that adventurous spirit. Don't be intimidated. Get out there and see it all. It's an amazing region (no doubt my all-time favorite place). The local Italians are also amazing people. Make some friends and they'll be friends for life.
+1 Steel bumpers

when-someone-backs-into-your-steel-bumper-mematic-ne-jacobkx85-345786.png

eljefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray Jeep Wrangler 2-Door Sport S
Hey Rob,

I lived in Vicenza (approximately 45 minutes west of Venice) for roughly 3 and half years. I can tell you that if you make it up north from Naples there will be plenty of areas to wheel especially in the Dolomites. Unbelievable views and not too far from Austria/Germany and everything those countries have to offer.

I saw plenty of Jeep Wranglers (2-doors) during my time in Italy being driven by local Italians, Germans, Austrians and of course Americans. Locations varied from down the eastern coast on the pristine beaches of Rimini, throughout the beautiful winding, hilly terrain of Tuscany as well as on the city streets of Rome. There is also an Italian Jeep Facebook group called "Jeep Club Italia" if you're interested. They advertise outings, trade shows, etc. and there are members of various nationalities who take part in the events. Pretty cool to see!

Most "suburban" and rural towns do tend to have narrower streets however, a two door Jeep won't be that much bigger than some of the other local cars, i.e. Mercedes Sprinters, Audi A4, VW sedans and station wagons. I witnessed Jeeps getting around just fine. Inter and intra provincial highways are normal size just like in the states so no worries there. Just to be clear however, from time to time it would not be abnormal to traverse roads that seem like only a single car could fit heading in either direction. In those instances it wouldn't matter if you were driving a Smart Car, a FIAT or something of that scale. You just pull off on the shoulder as much as you can, wave on your fellow driver, let them through and then be on your way. No problem!

Rome, Naples, Milan or any other metro area is comparable to any other metro area in the States. Drivers are assertive and seem to interpret each others moves so if you're not comfortable with driving in those settings I'd say leave the Jeep at home (in Naples!!!) and leverage their prevalent and inexpensive public transportation system (rail) to sight see in those cities.

Lastly, to echo one of the previous posters, I'd 100% bring the Jeep just to enjoy the convertible on the coast during the summer months, to get you into and out of the Alps during ski-season and to take advantage of the other mountainous areas of Europe. Also....the French beaches of Normandy as a backdrop with your Jeep?!?!? You couldn't ask for a more iconic photo!

Whatever you do, enjoy your trip to Italy and explore, eat, interact and drink as much as you can all over Europe!

Ciao,
El Jefe

Sponsored

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Hey Rob,
Rome, Naples, Milan or any other metro area is comparable to any other metro area in the States. Drivers are assertive and seem to interpret each others moves so if you're not comfortable with driving in those settings I'd say leave the Jeep at home (in Naples!!!) and leverage their prevalent and inexpensive public transportation system (rail) to sight see in those cities.
I've driven all over Europe and North America, including just about every major city on both continents and I've never come across driving like Naples.The only thing close or worse that I'm aware of is some South American cities and India. But, it has been over 15 years since I lived there so maybe it has improved.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Hey Rob,

I saw plenty of Jeep Wranglers (2-doors) during my time in Italy being driven by local Italians, Germans, Austrians and of course Americans. Locations varied from down the eastern coast on the pristine beaches of Rimini, throughout the beautiful winding, hilly terrain of Tuscany as well as on the city streets of Rome. There is also an Italian Jeep Facebook group called "Jeep Club Italia" if you're interested. They advertise outings, trade shows, etc. and there are members of various nationalities who take part in the events. Pretty cool to see!
This, on the other hand, does sound like a great opportunity. If you take the Jeep, consider getting a junker for around Naples and leave your Jeep for the trips outside the city. Lots of people who unknowingly ship their nice cars over take this approach.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

and when you're ready to head back to the States, sell your jeep to a local and cash in. then buy a new one when you get back.

OP
OP
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
and when you're ready to head back to the States, sell your jeep to a local and cash in. then buy a new one when you get back.
I feel like it would be hard for me to sell my Jeep , I already put so much time & money into it & made so many memories . Is that something you did ? Do jeeps sell for a good price out there ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
This, on the other hand, does sound like a great opportunity. If you take the Jeep, consider getting a junker for around Naples and leave your Jeep for the trips outside the city. Lots of people who unknowingly ship their nice cars over take this approach.
Yea this sounds like a great idea , will most likely go with this .

OP
OP
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I've driven all over Europe and North America, including just about every major city on both continents and I've never come across driving like Naples.The only thing close or worse that I'm aware of is some South American cities and India. But, it has been over 15 years since I lived there so maybe it has improved.
Thinkin I’ll bring my Jeep but also purchase a junket & use it as a daily , then use my Jeep for visiting beaches & trips outside of Naples

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I feel like it would be hard for me to sell my Jeep , I already put so much time & money into it & made so many memories . Is that something you did ? Do jeeps sell for a good price out there ?
You wouldn’t like the price you’d get for it in Europe, our vehicles suffer much greater depreciation than you’re used to in the US.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Sounds like a good idea, but as others have said, be careful. Drivers are very different in the cities and many of the small towns and roundabouts aren't designed for larger vehicles. You'll prob gather crowds and attention where ever you go, be prepared for that. If you go up north to the Dolomites there are some of the most beautiful roads and sights you will ever see!

If you're a military transplant you have the info you need for the details, but just a couple of notes to others: Check with your bank if it's financed, many banks will not allow their asset out of the country and you may have to pay it off before shipping as I believe you need either clear title or some indication that it's OK with the owner/lien-holder.
I had a friend who wanted to ship his Ducati to Italy for a riding vacation and he would have had issues bringing it back into the USA because he had removed the emissions decals and had no proof it was manufactured for the American market. He finally got a copy of the original CO.