Sponsored

19A Recall Tracking Spreadsheet - Clutch Recall (2/23/23) - Please help the community by sharing your recall experience

Billyg73

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2021 wrangler Sahara
I spoke to the dealer and they said they are replacing the pressure place with a heavier beefed up plate. Not touching the flywheel. Can anyone confirm who speaks to the TECHS? Called jeep and they said bc it is underwarranty it would be covered if I wanted to put my own clutch in. Dealer said they did hear anything like that. SO......
Sponsored

alphawolff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I spoke to the dealer and they said they are replacing the pressure place with a heavier beefed up plate. Not touching the flywheel. Can anyone confirm who speaks to the TECHS? Called jeep and they said bc it is underwarranty it would be covered if I wanted to put my own clutch in. Dealer said they did hear anything like that. SO......
If you bring your vehicle it to the shop for the recall you can ask them to install your own clutch instead. You won't have any warranty on it, but they most likely will do it for free under the recall. They'd also probably give you the stock clutch as well since it needs to be billed out for the recall.

The parts used for the recall are different part numbers, but visually they are identical. If anything's actually been changed only the engineers know.

Buzz11

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR, 2001 Wrangler TJ Sport
Add me to the list of WTF just happened. Had the recall done, and the first highway I got on started getting errors. Limped home and it goes back to the dealership on Tuesday. Dealership said that they have had issues where the new software throws false messages. Not exactly reassuring.

Capture.JPG

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Add me to the list of WTF just happened. Had the recall done, and the first highway I got on started getting errors. Limped home and it goes back to the dealership on Tuesday. Dealership said that they have had issues where the new software throws false messages. Not exactly reassuring.

Capture.JPG
things i have never seen in 12 years of automatic 6 or 8 speed use. Hope they get this fixed, like most I'd love a manual, but they suck. 2012 test drove both back to back. I told the dealer how can they sell a jeep with a clutch tranny combo which acts so poorly, shrug is all i got.

Put another way, my 73 Bronco, has an NV4500 with hughes performance clutch and pressure plate. Shifts like a dream, and the 4500 is supposed to suck at shifting.

Buzz11

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
things i have never seen in 12 years of automatic 6 or 8 speed use. Hope they get this fixed, like most I'd love a manual, but they suck. 2012 test drove both back to back. I told the dealer how can they sell a jeep with a clutch tranny combo which acts so poorly, shrug is all i got.

Put another way, my 73 Bronco, has an NV4500 with hughes performance clutch and pressure plate. Shifts like a dream, and the 4500 is supposed to suck at shifting.
No kidding. I've driven manuals all my life and never had any issues. Honestly

No kidding. I've driven manuals all my life and never had any issues. Honestly, I wasn't having issues until the recall

Sponsored

shwemp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 19 JLR
I had my 2019 JLR stock gearing with 35's done this week. First, I unmarried the tazer at home and then drove the 45 miles to the dealer. The recall work was completed in about 5 hours and then I drove it the 45 miles back home with no issues other than the speedo being off. I parked it for the night and then updated the tazer (it had been a while since I updated) and married the tazer the next day and completed all my tazer setup again, including tire size, and then did the documented tazer manual transmission relearn procedure. I've driven about 150 miles since then and still no issues to report.

Last edited:

Buzz11

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had my 2019 JLR stock gearing with 35's done this week. First I unmarried the tazer at home and then drove the 45 miles to the dealer. The recall work was completed in about 5 hours and then I drove it the 45 miles back home with no issues other than the speedo being off. I parked it for the night and then updated the tazer (it had been a while since I updated) and married the tazer the next day and completed all my tazer setup again, including tire size, and then did the documented tazer manual transmission relearn procedure. I've driven about 150 miles since then and still no issues to report.
Good to know that the recall should work ... even with a Tazer installed.

Jay Speedy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
I Just got my Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 back today.

People need to stop saying that it is the same clutch. It is not. It only looks the same as previous.

The feel of the clutch petal is 10x better now. It ain't sensitive where you have to find the bite point now. When I shift I even feel a slight difference on the shifting stick. It feels like it less effort to move from gear 1 to 2, etc.

I haven't had no error messages as of now.

I had my Jeep brand new in 2019, and compare to when it was new it feels much easier.

Now when I first started up the Jeep this morning I stalled, but that's only because I didn't readjusted my seat back to how I had it. Once I set my seat the way I like it, it was smooth sailing.

I had added 48,000 before the new clutch, but this does feel much better. I wish this was how I would have gotten my Jeep originally.

I'll update if anything, but right now I'm glad I had the recall done.

TS_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I Just got my Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 back today.

People need to stop saying that it is the same clutch. It is not. It only looks the same as previous.

The feel of the clutch petal is 10x better now. It ain't sensitive where you have to find the bite point now. When I shift I even feel a slight difference on the shifting stick. It feels like it less effort to move from gear 1 to 2, etc.

I haven't had no error messages as of now.

I had my Jeep brand new in 2019, and compare to when it was new it feels much easier.

Now when I first started up the Jeep this morning I stalled, but that's only because I didn't readjusted my seat back to how I had it. Once I set my seat the way I like it, it was smooth sailing.

I had added 48,000 before the new clutch, but this does feel much better. I wish this was how I would have gotten my Jeep originally.

I'll update if anything, but right now I'm glad I had the recall done.
I agree, the clutch definitely feels and acts better.

However, without the Tazer, and programming the actual tire size and gears the Jeep was not going over ~35 miles/hr.

Buzz11

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Weeks ago (as mentioned several posts ago), I took my Jeep in for the recall. 3 times they said it was fixed, and 3 times I got on the highway, and "service transmission" popped up, and into limp mode. .... ugh

Well this last time I think they fixed it. I took my Jeep for a test drive for about 40 mins on both highway and slower roads, and the first time since they did the recall "fix", everything worked!!!!!!

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I believe they left the Tazer married with correct tire settings. (35s, stock gears) Then they did their resets, and then the key new piece from the failed attempts, they had to do something in 6th gear to calibrate everything (which was mentioned by someone in this thread). I've attached what I believe is the STAR case that describes this. (I'm waiting on confirmation from the Dealership that this is the correct STAR case.)

Below is what my receipt from the dealership says:
1715183380428-gz-png.png

The "105" comes from Circumference = 2*Pi*R = 2*R*Pi. In my case 2*R = 35" tires. If you approximate Pi to 3, then you get 35*3 = 105. It bothers me that they didn't use 3.14 for Pi, but if 3 works, I guess I won't complain
72-png.png

I want to drive my Jeep around a few more days before I'm convinced it's fixed, but this is the first time things are pointing in the right direction.
Sponsored

Attachments