Sponsored

Keeping windshield clean

Doomgaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I've grown quite attached to my clean windshield and grill this winter. Warm weather is just around the corner, and soon the bugs will be out in full force. Last summer I couldn't drive 100 yards without some large unknown insect squishing yellow guts on my windshield...

Any tips to keep it clean? I typically use rainx brand wiper fluid. Would I get better results if I put a layer of the real rainx across the windshield, then switched to a wiper fluid formulated for bug guts? Any products that can help with this problem? Also the grill, any kind of coating there that can help?
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Fold the windshield down :giggle:

Honestly, I just go thru a lot of windshield fluid. And Dawn to remove bug guts. I've thought about using magic eraser also, but not sure if that would be abrasive. I'll have to research it some.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I use the rain-x bug fluid as well, seems to do well if you get them quick enough.

I like a clean windshield, it it a pet-peeve of mine to get into someones car, and be like "how the heck do you see anything through the dirt on your windshield?"

GlitteryPonies

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S
If you get them before they dry/harden, a microfiber soaked in hot tap water wipes them right off. I wipe my grill and windshield off 2x a day (when I get to work and when I get home) after a 40 mile one way interstate commute in the summer. Literally takes 45 seconds each time.

Sponsored

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
magic eraser inside the windshield :lipssealed: I mean maybe, but ya, doesn't sound like a great idea

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Forget that, what about the inside of windshield?
I found the foaming glass cleaners work really well on the windshield, with a microfiber towel and you can get them streak free clean.
The Jeep is the easiest I have ever had, vertical glass is so much easier to clean than the long elongated windshields in my previous vehicles.

OP
OP
Doomgaze

Doomgaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
If you get them before they dry/harden, a microfiber soaked in hot tap water wipes them right off. I wipe my grill and windshield off 2x a day (when I get to work and when I get home) after a 40 mile one way interstate commute in the summer. Literally takes 45 seconds each time.
Right, but what about after they dry? Especially when they hit the corner where the wipers don't reach, by the time I have a chance to get to them, they're already dried. Microfiber isn't even enough, I usually have to use my fingernail to get the final bits off.

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Right, but what about after they dry? Especially when they hit the corner where the wipers don't reach, by the time I have a chance to get to them, they're already dried. Microfiber isn't even enough, I usually have to use my fingernail to get the final bits off.
You just have to soak them with water or glass cleaner and let it soak for a bit to soften them back up, then they should come off relatively easy.

Sometimes I use a plastic putty knife to scrape them if I am impatient.

GlitteryPonies

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S
I also have used a product called poor boys bug squash. It works really well but takes wax off.

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
Wet it....wring it out....clean your window. Watch his video before hurling sarcasm. Thanks!
Was a simply reply - that still stands. I didn't say it wouldn't work. I said it doesn't "sound" like a good idea. Relax, the world still spins
Sponsored