Sponsored

Jerry Can mount?

jlrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ6
Any suggestions on the best way to attach a Jerry Can or Rotopax to my JLU? I just installed a Gobi rack so maybe up top is the best way to go? Would hurt clearance though since I'd like to leave it attached all the time.
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Any suggestions on the best way to attach a Jerry Can or Rotopax to my JLU? I just installed a Gobi rack so maybe up top is the best way to go? Would hurt clearance though since I'd like to leave it attached all the time.
A couple of thoughts...Rotopax containers could be laid flat on top of the Gobi, if that's the clearance issue you cite.

Here's were you can find hardware that might have you installing the can in front of the driver's side rear window, soft or hard top

https://rotopax.com/rotopax/mounting-hardware/

Here's a video on a guy you did that. It would involve integrating your Gobi, which depending on your design, I think you'd be smart to factor in the likelihood/frequency with which you see yourself raising the Gobi and the implications this could have on your install attached to it. I think his design is smart but I do not endorse placement of same on the passenger's side back window as I believe it can affect safety/visibility.

Here's product all assembled. I'm not sure if it's JL compatible, costs a small fortune, necessitates a hard top, and necessitates drilling through that hard top, which IMHO would be a darn shame and unnecessary considering you already have the Gobi rack, and might have been attracted to it precisely because it was a "no holes necessary to drill" install.

I needed a rack before the Gobi was **available** . I ended up making my own roof rack and attaching my fuel pack connecting to it, and down the driver's side back window.

** Gobi had the rack out, but it was backordered at the time I needed it.

OP
OP

jlrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ6
Nice one, but I'd rather not block any of the windows. Here's a tailgate mount for the JK:

https://rotopax.com/jeep-jk-tailgate-mount.html

Any idea if that would work on the JL? That would be ideal since it would be so accessible.

If I put it on the roof rack, does anything come to mind for securing it there?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Nice one, but I'd rather not block any of the windows. Here's a tailgate mount for the JK:

https://rotopax.com/jeep-jk-tailgate-mount.html

Any idea if that would work on the JL? That would be ideal since it would be so accessible there.

If I put it on the roof rack, does anything come to mind for securing it there?

I respect that.

Here again, the mounting hardware off the Rotopax sight (link provided prior) might be of interest to you (e.g):

https://rotopax.com/universal-mounting-plate.html?category_id=22

https://rotopax.com/single-mounting-plate.html?category_id=7

rotopax.jpg

I drilled directly into the pipe that extended from my rack and down the driver's side back window, and attached this above mounting place with bolts. Any holes other than the ones that protrude, which are for the rotopax attachment hardware (sold separately on the link) are fair game.

For you I might suggest "U" bolts to go around some of the Gobi pipes so as to not mar this beautiful accessory. If you need dimensions on this mounting plate and its holes/distances/size, just let me know; or contact the vendor.

Of course there are Jerry can attachments to the back tire. It's cheaper.

I can't speak to how much weight, at about 40 lbs per full 5 gallon can one can add before tailgate reinforcement becomes suggested/necessary.

I despise the behind the front fender Jerry can holders. I believe them an invitation for trouble on a side motor vehicle impact.

You're link shows what I think is a pretty cool idea. Of course, like you, I can't speak to JL fitment, and for me, the higher in the air the gas packs, the more I like it.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

vrtraa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / 2018 Jeep Compass(wife)
Occupation
Infantry swaped to UAS Operator (MQ-1C)

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
upload_2018-12-30_22-42-15.jpeg

In case you wanted another view of the @lodoffroad bumper with jerry can mount. I love it personally.
How secure would you say they are? I'm really torn between AEV (speculation) and LOD.

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
A couple of thoughts...Rotopax containers could be laid flat on top of the Gobi, if that's the clearance issue you cite.

Here's were you can find hardware that might have you installing the can in front of the driver's side rear window, soft or hard top

https://rotopax.com/rotopax/mounting-hardware/

Here's a video on a guy you did that. It would involve integrating your Gobi, which depending on your design, I think you'd be smart to factor in the likelihood/frequency with which you see yourself raising the Gobi and the implications this could have on your install attached to it. I think his design is smart but I do not endorse placement of same on the passenger's side back window as I believe it can affect safety/visibility.

Here's product all assembled. I'm not sure if it's JL compatible, costs a small fortune, necessitates a hard top, and necessitates drilling through that hard top, which IMHO would be a darn shame and unnecessary considering you already have the Gobi rack, and might have been attracted to it precisely because it was a "no holes necessary to drill" install.

I needed a rack before the Gobi was **available** . I ended up making my own roof rack and attaching my fuel pack connecting to it, and down the driver's side back window.

** Gobi had the rack out, but it was backordered at the time I needed it.
I love the first option, and way better than removing my window and adding a more built in piece. Removable and no drillling with a roof rack

OP
OP

jlrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ6
The Rotopax will be for bringing diesel to a vehicle that I don't want to take on public roads. Would you use a siphon? Or is there a good funnel for this?