Sponsored

Plenty of JLs on lots....

ZukiSam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Doesn't it seem like there are already plenty of JLs in stock... sitting unsold on lots? If so, this makes the delays in ordered builds and delays in the other colors seem odd.
Sponsored

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't it seem like there are already plenty of JLs in stock... sitting unsold on lots? If so, this makes the delays in ordered builds and delays in the other colors seem odd.
Look at what is sitting there though... a ton of Blacks, Granite, White, Red.... no color at all, no Blue, No Orange... I looked nationwide for a Ocean Blue Rubicon and there were some on the way to the dealer (mine included) but I did not see any on the dealer lot.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I think the ordered JLs are very specific with the options rather than the mass produced ones like I bought. Makes it a logistics challenge to fit in a one-off among the 100 or so Saharas with one option group they're making at any given point. Once the JK factory is retooled for the JL I think it might make the manufacturing process smoother.

SixteenPaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I think the ordered JLs are very specific with the options rather than the mass produced ones like I bought. Makes it a logistics challenge to fit in a one-off among the 100 or so Saharas with one option group they're making at any given point. Once the JK factory is retooled for the JL I think it might make the manufacturing process smoother.
They aren’t retooling the JK line for JLs, they will be retooling it for the JT.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK X 2-DR
I stopped by a local dealer cause I just wanted to see what they had. Lot full of JKs...with one or two JL's mixed in, almost purposely hiding among them (JK-JL-JK-JL-JK, etc) since they were with the same color JKs. . Mostly all red sport models.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They aren’t retooling the JK line for JLs, they will be retooling it for the JT.
Very well, I was under the impression the JK assembly line was going to make JLs as well. I had to do some research and confirmed the JT retooling.

The other part of my statement still stands.

SixteenPaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Very well, I was under the impression the JK assembly line was going to make JLs as well. I had to do some research and confirmed the JT retooling.

The other part of my statement still stands.
Yes and no. Jeep uses a JIT system where (in theory) they only build when they have all the necessary parts. They have a select number of options that are available so complication over similarly ordered items vs 'one-offs' isn't the issue exactly. The issue is when they run into a supply restriction, which they have supposedly been experiencing in a number of areas. For example LEDs are said to be out of stock, thats not a one off.

Right now, from my understanding, outside of some supposed supply restrictions (more below) I believe the biggest issue they have is logistics. I am unsure if someone is asleep on the job, or what is going on with the rail companies but they have thousands of Jeeps that are awaiting shipment.

With regards to the supply restrictions. I have, because I am bored, been looking around and I haven't found a single confirmation of supply restrictions that didn't come from Jeep Chat. Some of the information comes from dealers, but we aren't sure where that came from. Now it is possible that I missed it, but without something from Jeep corporate stating a supply restriction, all of the speculation and concern over restrictions in supply for components looks to be coming from one source, and that source has proved highly unreliable. That is not to say there isn't a supply restriction on one of the many items that have been rumored to be in short supply, but I wonder what is true and what has built up steam in the echo chamber of annoyance that is coming from all of these delays.

In any case, there are obviously issues in getting these Jeeps to people. I personally think it is mainly a logistics issue. If the logistics side of the house was operating as expected and the only issue was supply side, then we would be seeing delays en masse in preproduction, but as soon as a Jeep was built it would soar through. We aren't seeing that right now. We are seeing delays everywhere and to me that says that they can't get them out of Toledo. They build the Jeeps, store them, run out of viable space to hold the built Jeeps, become backed up and the delays ripple through the entire process.

It should be noted that I am speculating, because as I have said, there is no official information and I am bored.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes and no. Jeep uses a JIT system where (in theory) they only build when they have all the necessary parts. They have a select number of options that are available so complication over similarly ordered items vs 'one-offs' isn't the issue exactly. The issue is when they run into a supply restriction, which they have supposedly been experiencing in a number of areas. For example LEDs are said to be out of stock, thats not a one off.

Right now, from my understanding, outside of some supposed supply restrictions (more below) I believe the biggest issue they have is logistics. I am unsure if someone is asleep on the job, or what is going on with the rail companies but they have thousands of Jeeps that are awaiting shipment.

With regards to the supply restrictions. I have, because I am bored, been looking around and I haven't found a single confirmation of supply restrictions that didn't come from Jeep Chat. Some of the information comes from dealers, but we aren't sure where that came from. Now it is possible that I missed it, but without something from Jeep corporate stating a supply restriction, all of the speculation and concern over restrictions in supply for components looks to be coming from one source, and that source has proved highly unreliable. That is not to say there isn't a supply restriction on one of the many items that have been rumored to be in short supply, but I wonder what is true and what has built up steam in the echo chamber of annoyance that is coming from all of these delays.

In any case, there are obviously issues in getting these Jeeps to people. I personally think it is mainly a logistics issue. If the logistics side of the house was operating as expected and the only issue was supply side, then we would be seeing delays en masse in preproduction, but as soon as a Jeep was built it would soar through. We aren't seeing that right now. We are seeing delays everywhere and to me that says that they can't get them out of Toledo. They build the Jeeps, store them, run out of viable space to hold the built Jeeps, become backed up and the delays ripple through the entire process.

It should be noted that I am speculating, because as I have said, there is no official information and I am bored.
Yeah I understand. If I had ordered the one I really wanted, I would be waiting a loooong time for mine, as both the 2.0 and the tan soft top are not around yet. so much speculation on both of our parts I guess. I'm wondering if Jeep was overwhelmed by the sheer number of orders too?

SixteenPaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yeah I understand. If I had ordered the one I really wanted, I would be waiting a loooong time for mine, as both the 2.0 and the tan soft top are not around yet. so much speculation on both of our parts I guess. I'm wondering if Jeep was overwhelmed by the sheer number of orders too?
I definitely think they didn't expect demand, if they had I don't think they would have hedged their bets on the JL and produced both the JL and JK in the same year. But it has been a decade since a refresh, someone just didn't have the guts to cut the JK line like they probably should have at the end of the 2017 model year.

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
At one of our local dealers they had a few JLU Sports. That's it. No 2 doors of course. Want a good deal on a 17 or 18 JK (no Rubicons).
This dealer has a few two and four doors JKs.
Anyone want a Purple JKU?

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely think they didn't expect demand, if they had I don't think they would have hedged their bets on the JL and produced both the JL and JK in the same year. But it has been a decade since a refresh, someone just didn't have the guts to cut the JK line like they probably should have at the end of the 2017 model year.
Yeah, they were changing a good thing (Improved IMO) but are understandably nervous about it. There are some JK owners (just a few) that just despise any changes. They're doing the same thing with the Ram 1500, as they're still going to make a Ram Classic for another year before closing down the Saltillo plant.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
I stopped by a local dealer cause I just wanted to see what they had. Lot full of JKs...with one or two JL's mixed in, almost purposely hiding among them (JK-JL-JK-JL-JK, etc) since they were with the same color JKs. . Mostly all red sport models.
I have been at two dealerships in my area that have subscribed to the same inventory strategy. Many JK models in inventory and limited JL models.
The JL's are Sahara models too.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer was different, they had the JLs together and JKs together, but not all mixed in.

AdHerp

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jk -> 2018 JL
If you're bored one day, just go into a dealership and tell them you want a 2018 Wrangler that you know nothing about. Of course, don't drive your 2008 JK to get there.

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
They are all sports or saharas none of them are Rubicons I'm sure. If they are its maybe one.
Sponsored