2Cav

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Echo "Hello World!";

Yep, nerd alert (the techs out there will get it). Or at least, that's how I pay for this obsession anyone reading this is likely to share. A friend of mine @jlewissystem has painstakingly documented his build here, and while I'll never come close to his level of detail, I thought that it might be fun to record some of my build as well. There is always the off chance that something I do a little different may end up helping someone else. Although, full disclosure, there are going to be a lot of similarities to my buddies build.

Taking a page from Dickens "To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born". That is to say that I wanted a Jeep since I was like 7, and my cousin took me out for some "light" wheeling in a yellow CJ, I must have grinned from ear to ear for a solid week. in 2014 I finally picked up this 14 JKU sport:
NoB9r9w.jpg

It ended up like this:
Jeep Wrangler JL 2Cav's Ocean Blue JLU Build {filename}

And even looked like this more than a few times:

Sadly, we decided to try out the "camper thing" and the JKU was replaced by a Ram 1500 in late 2015, which was replaced by a Ram 3500 dually (for a bigger camper)... Which happily was replaced by class A in July of 2019! This was extra happy because it meant we no longer needed a huge truck, and what makes for a better towed than a WRANGLER!

(getting close to today, I promise)

In September 2019 the 3500 was traded in on a 2019 JLU Rubicon in Ocean Blue, 3.6, automatic. She is pretty well loaded.We ended up driving about 150 miles to pick up "the perfect build" that a dealer in Il happened to have on the lot. This is the day she came home:

The plan was to buy a rubi, and not really build this one. After all, a rubi are super capable right... I had a stubby antenna and bushwacker hood guard ready to install the min we made it back to camp.

I'll stop here for a word on the hood guard. Some things we do to make our Jeep look great. When we are lucky, some things improve functionality and look great. Sometimes we do things that may not look great, but server a purpose, the stone guard is one of these. I am NOT in love with the way it looks, BUT I've also never had a rock chip. It is also worth mentioning that in the summer instead of the entire windshield being covered smashed bugs, now it's only the top third or so. While this mod is subjectively ugly, it servers a purpose and I believe in them.

From there I also added the Quadratec 3rd Brake Light LED Ring, because I think they look cool :)

The camper has been largely put in storage for the winter, and the Jeep has more or less been my daily driver but remained largely in the state seen above. Now that spring is (fingers crossed) just around the corner the planning has turned into boxes on their way here. I'll finish getting her setup for flat towing. And we decided that we are going to do some building on the new Jeep to get it where we want it.

From a flat towing perspective the plan is:
Tow Loops -- Maximus JL1025TL
Tow Bar -- Blue Ox BX4370 Ascent Tow Bar
Tow Adapter -- Blue Ox BX88303 Bulldog Stubby Front Bumper Adapter
Wiring harness -- Cool Tech JL Tow Harness
Aux Brakes -- Blue Ox Patriot II
Stinger -- Maximus JL1001SN
High-Low Adapter (if needed)

As for Jeep Build, all of the following was just ordered:
Nitto ridge grappler LT37/12.50R17 124Q
Fuel Trophy 17x8.5 D55217857345
TeraFlex Alpha HD Adjustable Spare Tire Mounting 4838910
Fox 18+ Jeep JL Front 2.0 IFP 3.5 - 4" FOX-985-24-179
Fox 18+ Jeep JL Rear 2.0 IFP 3.5 - 4" FOX-985-24-180
Rock Krawler JL Front 1-4" Bump Stops RK06727
Rock Krawler JL Rear 1-4" Bump Stops RK06726
Rock Krawler 3.5" Flex "No Limits" kit JL35FSNL-4
Z Automotive Mini Tazer Programmer PALJL-TAZER-MINI
Bestop Trektop NX Soft Top, Twill BST56863-17
Artec Industries Front Inner Fenders ARTJL5107
High-Line Fender Brace w Lights JLR-HighLine-SEQ
Fender Retention Hardware

With a little luck, I'll install the lift, wheels, and tires next weekend 2/22. Hoping to convince Mr. @jlewissystem to come over and lend a hand on the install! More to follow. Big changes coming, within the month will be an entirely different beast. For those who RV, I'll try to do a good job of documenting our flat towing journey. It's something completely new to us. I've tried to do a lot of research and hopefully we won't make too many mistakes and will have things ready to go as we say goodbye to old man winter.

Stay tuned, more to follow!

2Cav / Jeff
Sponsored

Last edited:

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Echo "Hello World!";

Yep, nerd alert (the techs out there will get it). Or at least, that's how I pay for this obsession anyone reading this is likely to share. A friend of mine @jlewissystem has painstakingly documented his build here, and while I'll never come close to his level of detail, I thought that it might be fun to record some of my build as well. There is always the off chance that something I do a little different may end up helping someone else. Although, full disclosure, there are going to be a lot of similarities to my buddies build.

Taking a page from Dickens "To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born". That is to say that I wanted a Jeep since I was like 7, and my cousin took me out for some "light" wheeling in a yellow CJ, I must have grinned from ear to ear for a solid week. in 2014 I finally picked up this 14 JKU sport:

It ended up like this:

And even looked like this more than a few times:

Sadly, we decided to try out the "camper thing" and the JKU was replaced by a Ram 1500 in late 2015, which was replaced by a Ram 3500 dually (for a bigger camper)... Which happily was replaced by class A in July of 2019! This was extra happy because it meant we no longer needed a huge truck, and what makes for a better towed than a WRANGLER!

(getting close to today, I promise)

In September 2019 the 3500 was traded in on a 2019 JLU Rubicon in Ocean Blue, 3.6, automatic. She is pretty well loaded.We ended up driving about 150 miles to pick up "the perfect build" that a dealer in Il happened to have on the lot. This is the day she came home:

The plan was to buy a rubi, and not really build this one. After all, a rubi are super capable right... I had a stubby antenna and bushwacker hood guard ready to install the min we made it back to camp.

I'll stop here for a word on the hood guard. Some things we are to make our Jeep look great. When we are lucky, some things improve functionality and look great. sometimes we do things that may not look great, but server a purpose, the stone guard is one of the later. I am NOT in love with the way it looks, BUT I've also never had a rock chip. I also have noted that in the summer instead of the entire windshield being covered smashed bugs, now it's only the top third or so. bottom line, while this mod is subjectively ugly, it servers a purpose and I believe in them.

From there I also added the Quadratec 3rd Brake Light LED Ring, because I think they look cool :)

The camper has been largely put in storage for the winter, and the Jeep has more or less been my daily driver but remained largely in the state seen above. Now that spring is (fingers crossed) just around the corner the planning has turned into boxes on their way here. I'll finish getting her setup for flat towing. And we decided that we are going to do some building on the new Jeep to get it where we want it.

From a flat towing perspective the plan is:
Tow Loops -- Maximus JL1025TL
Tow Bar -- Blue Ox BX4370 Ascent Tow Bar
Tow Adapter -- Blue Ox BX88303 Bulldog Stubby Front Bumper Adapter
Wiring harness -- Cool Tech JL Tow Harness
Aux Brakes -- Blue Ox Patriot II
Stinger -- Maximus JL1001SN
High-Low Adapter (if needed)

As for Jeep Build, all of the following was just ordered:
Nitto ridge grappler LT37/12.50R17 124Q
Fuel Trophy 17x8.5 D55217857345
TeraFlex Alpha HD Adjustable Spare Tire Mounting 4838910
Fox 18+ Jeep JL Front 2.0 IFP 3.5 - 4" FOX-985-24-179
Fox 18+ Jeep JL Rear 2.0 IFP 3.5 - 4" FOX-985-24-180
Rock Krawler JL Front 1-4" Bump Stops RK06727
Rock Krawler JL Rear 1-4" Bump Stops RK06726
Rock Krawler 3.5" Flex "No Limits" kit JL35FSNL-4
Z Automotive Mini Tazer Programmer PALJL-TAZER-MINI
Bestop Trektop NX Soft Top, Twill BST56863-17
Artec Industries Front Inner Fenders ARTJL5107
High-Line Fender Brace w Lights JLR-HighLine-SEQ
Fender Retention Hardware

With a little luck, I'll install the lift, wheels, and tires next weekend 2/22. Hoping to convince Mr. @jlewissystem to come over and lend a hand on the install! More to follow. Big changes coming, within the month will be an entirely different beast. For those who RV, I'll try to do a good job of documenting our flat towing journey. It's something completely new to us. I've tried to do a lot of research and hopefully we won't make too many mistakes and will have things ready to go as we say goodbye to old man winter.

Stay tuned, more to follow!

2Cav / Jeff

Can’t wait to see your vision! I’m sure I can be convinced to help wrench on the new beast! :) :fist bump: STL! I’ll bet you 2 beers that I’ll help for a 12pk ;)

Last edited:

CSterling

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
2Cav I just wanted you to know that your Ocean Blue Jeep is being well cared for. My wife and I purchased it a day or two after you traded it off. My wife daily drives it and loves the attention that it gets. LOL. We have only done a couple of minor mods to it to make it a little more of her style. I just wanted to say that you have great taste when it comes to builds. I was very hesitant to buy a Jeep Wrangler for her to be a daily driver but have been pretty impressed with this one so far. I even enjoy driving it (when she lets me). LOL.
Sponsored