Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
HARD PASS.
I’m mostly on board with autonomous driving. As we age, this tech will enable us to maintain our independence. How many 80-100 yo people end up in assisted living conditions (which is expensive) after they lose their ability to drive to the grocery store, a doctor appointment, etc. My Grandma is 96 and still driving but she is very much the exception. Also I’m not so sure I want my 96yo Grandma driving.

That said, as many have pointed out, this takes the fun out of 4 wheelin’. I’m also pretty sure I’m not going to trust an AI that is driving me along a mountain shelf that has a 100’ drop on one side.

A while back, Jeep showed a video that envisioned what this would look like. Two people on a romantic drive, laying back enjoying the stars as their Wrangler did the driving. Basically Jeep wants you to get laid while they do the driving. I guess there is a benefit there but I don’t know. Does anyone really want to create a new version of the Mile High Club for off roading?
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I co

Uld see some application in the military.
The Army and Marines are already looking into this. They imagine autonomous supply trucks bringing supplies to front line troops. They are also looking at aeronautical drones to do the same thing for small groups operating far away from supply lines. In those situations, it makes a ton of sense.

Matanzas

First Name
Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting discussion. Trails < 6 at Moab with 33s are my limit. If I mod my rig to 37s with skid plates and suddenly can cruise up 6+ rated trails have I accomplished anything other than make hard trails easier? Any how is that different than autopilot?

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

Remember the Dilbert cartoon? He was playing virtual golf on his phone. When Alice gave him grief for playing a virtual version of a game that's not really even a sport, he said "don't bother me, I'm trying to find the manual for the virtual golf cart."

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
The Army and Marines are already looking into this. They imagine autonomous supply trucks bringing supplies to front line troops. They are also looking at aeronautical drones to do the same thing for small groups operating far away from supply lines. In those situations, it makes a ton of sense.
Perhaps I’m too old school. Supplies are like gold, and need to be defended. The entire supply line needs to be defended - with troops with weapons. I don’t see that happening with remote supply vehicles.

As a platoon sergeant for an ADA battery, I had fire units separated by MANY kilometers. It was my job to keep them resupplied, but I also had to get eyes-on my teams to evaluate many other things, such as their tactical position and situation, clear up minor technical issues, check on morale, etc. I drove about a hundred miles a day. Autonomy would remove a critical leadership function in that situation.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
If you're going to let everything go on autopilot just save yourself a ton of money, stay home and watch Youtube videos of Moab....it's about the same thing without the dust and bumps.
Plus you’re nice and comfy. You could even watch them campin a remote area without bugs and dirt, heat or cold. Why, it’d be great! All the adventure right from mommie’s basement. ‘Course you this with your tablet computer and save yourself the cost of a new Jeep😏.

I just don’t see it. Folks tend to use technology to make up for their own deficiencies. Let’s rely on the tech to save us. Tech goes down and half the people can’t make change for a $10 bill, much less actually survive in the back of beyond. If it actually makes it into production you can bet some damn fool without the skills to change a tire will die in the toolies because technology got them in a situation they couldn’t handle. We see folks now who get in trouble in the wilds because they’re not prepared to deal with it. Darwinism at work…

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Plus you’re nice and comfy. You could even watch them campin a remote area without bugs and dirt, heat or cold. Why, it’d be great! All the adventure right from mommie’s basement. ‘Course you this with your tablet computer and save yourself the cost of a new Jeep😏.

I just don’t see it. Folks tend to use technology to make up for their own deficiencies. Let’s rely on the tech to save us. Tech goes down and half the people can’t make change for a $10 bill, much less actually survive in the back of beyond. If it actually makes it into production you can bet some damn fool without the skills to change a tire will die in the toolies because technology got them in a situation they couldn’t handle. We see folks now who get in trouble in the wilds because they’re not prepared to deal with it. Darwinism at work…
They’ll just “call a guy” if they need their tire changed in the wilderness!😂

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
So devils advocate here. This is a technology demo, and what better way to do it than on real trails. It's part of the brand image. This may not serve much of a purpose to people who wheel, many people, especially (modern) cherokee buyers, buy their jeep not for serious wheeling but for trying to not get stuck in dirt/mud/snow. I've seen enough episodes of matt's offroad recovery to know A LOT of people get stuck off road on unmaintained roads because of the their driving skill and not their 4x4, and matt's crew shows up and just drives it out without recovery gear.

Imagine just ending up down the wrong road in utah and getting stuck, but the vehicle gets you out. Or my neighbor getting stuck in a snowbank next to their driveway and the vehicle helps them get out (instead of me coming over to do it).

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
So devils advocate here. This is a technology demo, and what better way to do it than on real trails. It's part of the brand image. This may not serve much of a purpose to people who wheel, many people, especially (modern) cherokee buyers, buy their jeep not for serious wheeling but for trying to not get stuck in dirt/mud/snow. I've seen enough episodes of matt's offroad recovery to know A LOT of people get stuck off road on unmaintained roads because of the their driving skill and not their 4x4, and matt's crew shows up and just drives it out without recovery gear.

Imagine just ending up down the wrong road in utah and getting stuck, but the vehicle gets you out. Or my neighbor getting stuck in a snowbank next to their driveway and the vehicle helps them get out (instead of me coming over to do it).
I dunno. Looks like they’ll just be further from help when they eventually get hung up😏. Anything can get stuck if you try hard enough. I’ve seen it happen already with the “I’ve got a Jeepi can go anywhere bunch.” The guys with the Rubi’s still get stuck, they’re just further down the road when it happens😏

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
I don’t see how this would be benificial. I guess it’s good that the system can identify certain “hazards” that the human eye might not spot in time. But yeah. Nobody is gonna go wheeling in autonomous mode.
I guess though… imagine you’re out wheeling and something bad happens to you to where you’re unable to drive. Your jeep can drive you back to civilization. That’s kind of a cool option?
I would think if you're that messed up, it might be time to use the Emergency Satellite Beacon for help.
Sponsored