This recently released chart by FCA shows the several JL Wrangler drivetrains that will be offered throughout its model life…
The next generation Wrangler JL will receive:
- at launch, gasoline engines from FCA’s current crop of engines.
- sometime after 2018, next generation powertrains, which includes a ‘mild hybrid’ system utilizing regenerative braking (which recaptures energy to help charge the car’s battery used for car’s electrical systems)
- next gen diesel, around 2020
- full hybrid, comes after 2022
Besides the new drivetrains, the JL Wrangler’s platform architecture also focuses on reduced energy demand through:
- extensive use of high strength steel and alternative materials
- active aero system to reduce drag
- advanced electronic systems such as axle disconnect and electric steering systems
As this chart shows, increased efficiency is clearly an important part of the next generation of Wranglers.