Zion National Park trip

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
I have about 7-10 days available for a trip between Christmas and Jan 4th and thinking about heading to Zion National Park area. Looking for some input.
Ideally we would like to primitive camp on BLM land in very remote spots. Looking for about 2-3 nights camping, hotel, 2 nights camping, hotel.
I have never been to the area and looking for advise. Any must do trails? Camping spots? I appreciate any input. Thanks!!
Sponsored

Gravytheclown

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Willys
Watching. I did Zion this last summer but stayed at a bed and breakfast in Glendale called the Historical Smith Hotel. Nice place. it was only a two day stay for us as it was just part of our 9 day 4000 mile trip. We plan on gong back and want to stay a week. Lots more to do than just Zion and Bryce. Next time we want to camp as well, so I'll be watching to see other responses.

Gravy

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Angels landing trail If your not afraid of heights or walking on a ledge holding on to a chain. Good vids on YouTube. Yes, people have died on the trail, it’s a long way down. However millions are still alive and had fun in the trail. Internet pic, trail continues to very top.

Jeep Wrangler JL Zion National Park trip 469F09EC-394D-47DE-9F30-74E0B9EF5832

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Go out to Toquerville Falls while you're there. It's out in the middle of the desert and a nice ride to get there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Zion National Park trip IMG_2948.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Zion National Park trip IMG_2957.JPG

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I have about 7-10 days available for a trip between Christmas and Jan 4th and thinking about heading to Zion National Park area. Looking for some input.
Ideally we would like to primitive camp on BLM land in very remote spots. Looking for about 2-3 nights camping, hotel, 2 nights camping, hotel.
I have never been to the area and looking for advise. Any must do trails? Camping spots? I appreciate any input. Thanks!!
I haven't been in years, but I remember the Zion NP campgrounds as being really scenic despite the car camping nature of it all. I also remember Zion NP Lodge as rustic but stay-worthy. We hiked Angel's Landing trail. I also second squeezing Bryce in, if possible.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Angels landing trail If your not afraid of heights or walking on a ledge holding on to a chain. Good vids on YouTube. Yes, people have died on the trail, it’s a long way down. However millions are still alive and had fun in the trail. Internet pic, trail continues to very top.

Jeep Wrangler JL Zion National Park trip IMG_2957.JPG
did you bring your own harness for the kids or rent them?

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
did you bring your own harness for the kids or rent them?
No kids. No harness to rent in Zion. This was internet pic. There is a half way point of trail that could even be done pushing someone in wheelchair because it’s wide and paved. The second half is narrow and some sections have chains. You can get to scenic half way and decide if continuing to top.

Gravytheclown

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Willys
There is also a mesa observation hike that I herd isn't too difficult, But you end up just across looking down onto Angels landing. we only had time to do the narrows and Emerald pool. had knee deep water in the narrows. The day before we ot into a pickle hiking down into Bryce when the sky opened up. The hike back up got hairy as it was now a fast growing water fall.
Angels landing is on our list and why we want to go back, looks kind of like clouds rest in Yosemite.
Toquerville Falls is now on the list. Thanks AzScorpion.

Gravy

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
There's BLM land all around the NPs. I use the Backcountry Navigator app which has reasonably priced downloadable BLM Map overlays so you're 100% sure you're on BLM/SITLA land. You should find a lot of campsites near the NPs as a lot of people visit the parks and retreat to BLM land for primitive camping.

Sponsored

Big_Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2016 JKUR Rock Crawler
Occupation
I glow in the dark!
Agree with the comment above about Toquerville. Then you'll be also very close to Sand Hollow in Hurricane, so do yourself a favor and head over there for some excellent off road trails. IMO, some of the best in Utah and there are trails for all abilities from easy to buggy. You'll want the ability to air down so you can run the trails and the cool red sand dunes. You'll also need a high visibility flag for this area.

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I love Zion NP! Beautiful park with lots to see and do. Angels landing is an awesome hike, but can be dangerous so you need to have good boots and crampons since you’re going in winter. It will likely snow and you’ll need them on angels landing. I also recommend bringing gloves with a latex palm that you can get in the gardening section of Lowe’s. Super grippy and very inexpensive. I have used these gloves twice on angels landing and twice on half dome and have never felt like My hands were going to slip off of the chains/cables.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotts-3-Pack-Mens-Large-Polyester-Garden-Gloves/1001306156

Watchman campground is beautiful and right inside of the park entrance. Springdale is the small town right outside of the park entrance and there’s restaurants, bars, and an ice cream/candy shop. You could also stay in a hotel/motel in Springdale if you don’t want to camp. Zion motel is clean and affordable.

Last edited:

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
Just went to Zion for the first time earlier this year. Beautiful park! Stayed at Watchman Campground and highly recommend. A freak storm came in and basically had the place to ourselves as many left. We walked past the Zion Lodge and that looked a nice place to take a shower :).

You really can't go wrong with any of the hiking trails... just pick how difficult you want it. As for 4x4 trails, not much out there. As others have said Toquerville Falls is pretty easy and has a cool water crossing at the actual falls.

Day1
Jeep Wrangler JL Zion National Park trip 20210310_175329_HDR

Day2 [LOL!]
Jeep Wrangler JL Zion National Park trip 20210312_081732

Day4(!)
Jeep Wrangler JL Zion National Park trip 20210311_162220_HDR

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
We went to Zion And Vegas last June. We only had time to hike The Narrows. One “must do”…go to Kanab and eat dinner at Sego. We’re foodies and love finding new places. Sego won some award or something from a Utah critic organization if I remember right. Before we knew that, we happened upon it as we drove 30 mins south from our rented cabin to try it out. It won’t be far to spend $100 for two people but it has been the best, different/ great flavor but not weird 3 or 4 course meal (their preferred way to introduce those flavors) in several years. We’ll definitely be going back. I need to buy any Sugarhouse Bourbon they have too. Lol That was another discovery at that restaurant. Besides the Narrows, that was the most memorable part of the trip!

Last edited:

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I like to camp dispersed, but I wouldn’t pass on a spot in the park. They’re really nice if you can get one.
Jeep Wrangler JL Zion National Park trip A9343AD9-ED10-4F6E-8ECE-4AECF2ED3B73
Sponsored