ZF contradicts FCA on ZF8 "Lifetime" transmission fluid

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This is very similar to the Ford 6R80 (and many others) transmission they've been using for a decade. Except, Ford calls the mechatronic sleeve a "bulkhead connector". Exact same thing. The Ford trans. also has no dipstick under the hood.

However, I was able to change my trans fluid and filter for $100 in my driveway at home. As mentioned, the fluid DOES need to be changed. Lifetime doesn't mean forever. It means expected lifetime of the vehicle, which is typically less than 150,000 miles for light duty 4x4s.

There will be cheaper alternatives to fluid on the market soon. I found a 12-quart case of the Ford spec'd stuff on Amazon for $75 bucks.

For the record, the JL trans. is the 850RE and while it is based upon a ZF transmission it does have different ratios, pan, and ancillary parts. It won't be exactly the same as what you're seeing in YouTube vids.

I plan to change ALL of my fluids at 100,000 miles just like I did on my F-150. The manufacturer only cares about getting through warranty period. It's up to us to keep the vehicles on the road long term.
Sponsored