JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I have the 8spd auto in my HEMI RAM and I know how great it is--but

This time/this jeep/w the updated/short shift stick--I got it in my JL Ruby and-

I wanted the "pop the clutch" dead battery option--

Both tranny's are a WIN WIN-

W.E.

JIMBO
Sponsored

LTZ470

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep 392
Any updated documentation available on on 850RE?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well I am coming up on 14,000 miles on mine, so here are my thoughts now:

This trans. is built by FCA using a licensing agreement with ZF. FCA changes the gear ratios, software programming, and model designation and unfortunately when they do those things they have a way of screwing up what was originally a world-class ZF transmission.

This 850RE is great overall, and I do still love it. But, it's not perfect. The engine braking is WAYYY too aggressive. And the 3>2 downshift is always abrupt when applying throttle lightly after slowing down. There's also delay in responsiveness that is pretty noticeable and annoying. I notice that passengers in my Jeep have their heads bobbing a lot, as the 850RE searches for gears and can't ever seem to be happy where it's at. It also doesn't use 1st gear nearly as often as it should at low speed. It'll even try to pull hills at 3 MPH in 2nd gear. :facepalm:

It's a huge step up from the 545RFE but it could have been better if FCA would leave ZF's design alone.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Another note:

With the 850RE trans in manual mode, you have to push up to downshift, and down to upshift. wtf

Whoever programmed that should be forced to work 1,500 sudoku puzzles consecutively and then fired.
See, I really struggle with this, too. It just doesn't feel intuitive at all.

I wonder if the Tazer could make it right?

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Another note:

With the 850RE trans in manual mode, you have to push up to downshift, and down to upshift. wtf

Whoever programmed that should be forced to work 1,500 sudoku puzzles consecutively and then fired.
Litebrite mentioned this in one of their videos. Apparently, race car transmissions are programmed the same way. The idea being that as you are accelerating, you’re pushed back in the seat, so pulling back to up shift is more natural. Conversely, during braking, you’re leaning forward, so downshifting is more natural with a push. Seems logical enough. Of course, doubt the forces a Jeep will ever produce will ever have us struggling to make a shift . Interesting that they thought of it, though.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
This "FORWARD LOW" MOVEMENT GOES BACK--OVER 80 YEARS, starting with manual tranny's--

If you're in neutral--go left-FORWARD/UP TO 1ST--it's the OLD WAY--we've always done it THAT WAY-IT'S NATURAL, NOT NEW !

W.E.

JIMBO

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
This 850RE is great overall, and I do still love it. But, it's not perfect. The engine braking is WAYYY too aggressive. And the 3>2 downshift is always abrupt when applying throttle lightly after slowing down. There's also delay in responsiveness that is pretty noticeable and annoying. I notice that passengers in my Jeep have their heads bobbing a lot, as the 850RE searches for gears and can't ever seem to be happy where it's at. It also doesn't use 1st gear nearly as often as it should at low speed. It'll even try to pull hills at 3 MPH in 2nd gear. :facepalm:
Maybe your transmission needs a software update? Mine is a 2019 with 3500 miles and I don't experience any of issues you listed.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
See, I really struggle with this, too. It just doesn't feel intuitive at all.

I wonder if the Tazer could make it right?
But it's not just the trans. shifter, it's the steering wheel controls too! Up goes down in the menu, down goes up. It's dyslexic!

I don't buy Lite Brite's idea at all. It's a Jeep made for the consumer market, it should be intuitive. Down should be down. Up should be up.

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
The 8 speed in my JLU is the first automatic transmission I have ever loved. It is nearly perfect, imo.
The only time I don’t love it is in low range. It is very, very fond of 3rd gear in 4L. Reluctant to shift in either direction, but especially down. You have to almost stop for it to shift to 2nd, and it won’t choose 1st under any circumstances.
I don’t mind though. I’d just as soon choose my gears in low range anyway, and once I got the hang of it, shifting in manual became natural.
I spend an hour or 2 most every morning in low range, running my dogs on the hunting lease.
I like to use 4L, as it gives me a full range of gears under 20mph, rather than just 2 or 3.

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
54 years old.
Have driven just about every manual and automatic under the sun; TH400-350, 727, A833, C6, C4, Top Loader, Getrag 5 and 6 speed, Muncie 4 speeds and 3 speeds, 4L60-80, Allision, Aison and multiple others I can't remember.

This is, without question, far and away the finest one ever.

All three vehicles we own have one now.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I'm a manual transmission person, I enjoy driving. I was fully expecting to hate this automatic, but all my cherished preconceptions were blown away by the smoothness and "correctness" of this transmission. I test drove a 3.6, with the new 6spd, and the 2.0T with this, and was impressed enough to take the automatic , a perfect pairing with the 4 cylinder.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
3rd auto I’ve ever owned.
First I’ve ever even liked, much less loved.
I flat love this tranny.
Oops. That word means something different today, I reckon. Yuck.
Sponsored