Z Automotive currently freezing MacOs downloads

Desert Raptor

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Hopefully this is temporary. I have used the MacOS version for about 10 months with no issues. Any plans for a future app store version? Many of us have left the Windows ecosystem years ago.

A new report shows that 2021 MAC shipments grew almost twice as fast as the PC market as a whole. Annual growth for Mac was 28.3%, against 14.6% for the global PC market.
https://9to5mac.com/2022/01/12/2021-mac-shipments-growth/

Jeep Wrangler JL Z Automotive currently freezing MacOs downloads Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 9.35.31 AM
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Hopefully this is temporary. I have used the MacOS version for about 10 months with no issues. Any plans for a future app store version? Many of us have left the Windows ecosystem years ago.

A new report shows that 2021 MAC shipments grew almost twice as fast as the PC market as a whole. Annual growth for Mac was 28.3%, against 14.6% for the global PC market.
https://9to5mac.com/2022/01/12/2021-mac-shipments-growth/

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 9.35.31 AM.png
I noticed the same. I’ve used the Mac app successfully for almost 4 years. Never had a problem.

Last week I did the 11.3.3 update using their Windows utility running in a VirtualBox VM. Worked fine, but not a great solution for folks who don’t have a Windows license or don’t have the technical ability.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I can understand why (I do not blame him) Joe at ZAutomotive has done this.... It is a very prudent / a smart move on his part.

This move will save User's of the Tazer JL and ZAutomotive a lot of headaches..

Using the MAC utility Joe made available was always a crap shoot of sorts... yes, regardless of guy's here saying they used it and had no issues..

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
I keep an old PC laptop just for Tazer updates and for my GMRS software. Trying to update with a Mac was just too unreliable.

Sponsored

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
Any idea when Mac will be supported again? I need to update firmware and have no windows options.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
Any idea when Mac will be supported again? I need to update firmware and have no windows options.
No man, don’t be silly. You have the Tazer and cable, go to an internet cafe, friend, work, etc. and do the update. The world will not stand still for you, get on with it and make a plan.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
For the Mac guys, could you use VirtualBox (free) or some other virtualization software with USB Passthrough? I have all M1 Macs now and I know it won't run the Intel versions of Windows. But if your Mac is an Intel-based machine that's a possibility perhaps?

You can always grab Windows and just run it unlicensed if you don't have a full licensed copy. I do that in my lab and everything still works other than the nag on the desktop wallpaper.

Just a thought...

Reactions: KNN

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
That's a bunch of crap. I wouldn't have bought a Taser if I couldn't use my Mac with it. Seems like I should get my money back from such a crooked move.

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
For the Mac guys, could you use VirtualBox (free) or some other virtualization software with USB Passthrough? I have all M1 Macs now and I know it won't run the Intel versions of Windows. But if your Mac is an Intel-based machine that's a possibility perhaps?

You can always grab Windows and just run it unlicensed if you don't have a full licensed copy. I do that in my lab and everything still works other than the nag on the desktop wallpaper.

Just a thought...
Thanks. I was able to update before via Mac and now it’s no longer supported. Just wondering if it’ll be back.

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Thanks. I was able to update before via Mac and now it’s no longer supported. Just wondering if it’ll be back.
The first Tazer I had I updated via my Mac too and it seemed to go OK. I rebuilt my gaming PC with Windows 11 so I have an alternative now for anything that requires Windows.

If it doesn't come back before the next FW update, maybe the virtualization method would be worth a try.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
There is a clear message on the Zautomotive website, is it really that bad.

Storm in a teacup if you ask me

3E062A3E-53E2-43B4-AC02-9B2086318FB7.png

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Storm in a teacup if you ask me

Jeep Wrangler JL Z Automotive currently freezing MacOs downloads 3E062A3E-53E2-43B4-AC02-9B2086318FB7
@KNN only asked if there was any idea when it might be supported again. It does say “halted temporarily”.
@KNN ZAutomotive kind of abandoned the forum. If you hit them up through their support chat in their website you might get a better answer than you’ll get here.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Text the guy. There are numerous threads where his cell number is mentioned and that it is the best way to get in touch for support.
In the interim, there isn't one person in your circle that has a Windows laptop you can borrow for 5 minutes?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@KNN only asked if there was any idea when it might be supported again. It does say “halted temporarily”.
@KNN ZAutomotive kind of abandoned the forum. If you hit them up through their support chat in their website you might get a better answer than you’ll get here.
Personally, I do not feel ZAutomotive "abandoned the forum".... but of course I know a tad more about the real reason's why you don't see Joe posting here like he did years ago when the Original Tazer JL was first to market and Joe/ZAutomotive became a Sponsor here.

In short though, Joe can't be everywhere so to speak. The guy can only spread himself so thin.
He does not have time or energy to post on a zillion forums, FB, etc..
This is not an excuse but just reality...

I myself would rather see Joe, programming... ,etc. and not here or on another forum, holding hands with people..

ZAutomotive is located in Long Island, NY and has a handful of employees..

Joe, is also very confident that there are many very seasoned Tazer JL owner's that he trusts to field basic Tazer JL related questions here. Joe maintains his forum sponsorship so as to maintain a presence here.. I might add that Joe is a fellow JL owner.

For the record, I follow the Tazer JL related forum talk very closely. When I see something Joe needs to know I contact him immediately and he gets back to me within in minutes to an hour.. .. and I pass on the info he provides me here.

Reality is ZAutomotive is very easy for all to communicate with if a Tazer JL owner needs to deal with ZAutomotive directly.
Sponsored