Sponsored

Yukon Superjoint ujoints in 5-7166X ? *edit - Answer: Yukon doesn't plan to make these

benny_rt2

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ - 1999 TJ - 2004 TJ
Hi,

Does anyone know if Yukon Gear sells or are they planning to make the Superjoint in 5-7166X, the size ujoints in the Wrangler JL front axles? I couldn't find it on their website or in vendor websites. I would rather use superjoints than regular Spicer 5-7166x, otherwise I may go to a CV type instead of ujoint axle.

I’ve been using Yukon 5-760X Superjoints in my TJ front chromolly axle ears since about 2006 or so and I would love to put Superjoints in a new Jeep JL too.

Prior to the Superjoints in my TJ I had spicer ujoints fail inside chromolly axle ears, and it was a pain when it happens. Trying to remove the twisted shaft ears and ujoint from the axle housing while on the trail took hours. Sometimes the fractured ujoints can get jamed in the ears really good and make extracting the shafts from the tube and through the knuckle very difficult, especially on thee trail. But after upgrading the TJ to Superjoints I hadn’t had a ujoint failure since which is why I’d like to upgrade a JL with superjoints too.

Else I may try a CV type, but heard of them failing too. I never read of a Yukon Superjoint breaking. I've twisted splines, and broken gear teeth, but never heard of a superjoint itself failing.

I've sent Yukon Gear an email asking them about a 57166X superjoint. I'll post their response when I hear back from them.
Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
benny_rt2

benny_rt2

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, that didn't take long. By the time I finished posting in the forum I already had an email from Yukon:

It has been discussed by our R&D team, but until we release a freespin kit for the JL/JT it doesn’t make any sence , since they require constant maintenance , and are not suitable for street use with out locking hubs.
Tech Support
Yukon Gear & Axle

I appreciate their quick response and that they have considered it. Basically, for those that may not know, Yukon Superjoints are chromolly and are also much beefier by having no needle bearings. I kept my TJ's well greased each week and especially after any trails. But you've got to be on top with maintaining and greasing and rebuilding them occasionally (they have rebuild kits with caps and seals etc). They probably don't want to deal with that drama of those who don't do proper maintinance. Understandable.

OP
OP
benny_rt2

benny_rt2

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To complete my research, i did find that CTM made a 300M ujoint that would work in chrommolly shafts that typically would use the 5-7166x. CTM ujoint is similar in concept to a yukon Superjoint. They were advertised as working in JK d44 (and therefore JL d30 and d44 presumably) axle shaft ears.

CTM part # is C145-1881

https://www.polyperformance.com/ctm-u-joint

Youd only want to use those in chrommolly shafts else the ears would stretch and wollow out if a softer metal shaft were used.

The only place i could find selling the C145-1881 is polyperformance but it may just be old stock or maybe not even in inventory anymore. It makes me wonder if CTM as a company are still around. Their website is down and i don't know how long it's been that way.

Anyway, they aren't cheap. At almost $300 each plus cost of chromo shafts, it would cost maybe more than a set of RCV shafts. Plus the CTM really aren't meant for highway driving. They'd require constant greasing and possibly rebuilding with new caps and brass bushings, and o rings after awhile. And if they are no longer made then rebuilding them would not be possible.

conclusion, use Spicer ujoint with chromo shafts or invest in chromo RCV shafts.

thanks,

benny
Sponsored

Last edited: