Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Am I the only one that's totally frustrated by the YouTube sellouts? You try to find some good content, but its just one commercial after another. Even vloggers I really like are basically just cheap product whores. Is there any content available that's not a commercial?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Stormin’ Moorman

I'm with you 110%.. I don't even bother watching them anymore..

Most all those making such, are all bought and paid for, as far as I'm concerned.

They will cutesy smile and spew whatever they need to say, just so they get their free product and whatever financial enumeration they get.

Sad part is many watch said videos, take all the crapola to heart and pull the trigger on a product before researching the product any further..Big mistake doing that.

Also, I'm sure most here know that every time you watch one of the videos, the author gets money..

OP
OP
Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
@Stormin’ Moorman

I'm with you 110%.. I don't even bother watching them anymore..

Most all those making such, are all bought and paid, for as far as I'm concerned.

They will cutesy smile and spew whatever they need to say just so they get their free product and whatever financial enumeration they get.

Sad part is many watch said videos, take all the crapola to heart and pull the trigger on a product before researching the product any further..
Big mistake doing that.

Also, I'm sure most here know that every time you watch one of the videos, the author gets money..

I have definitely bought items based on certain vloggers videos, not knowing it was a commercial at the time. I'm glad they get compensated from YouTube for producing content, that's only fair. Lord knows Google doesn't need any more money.

But it seems like nearly every "big name" vlogger is just a celebrity spokesperson now. I really hope they get paid a lot of money for whoring out themselves like that. They should at least make a statement like, "Please disregard everything I am about to say because I don't believe any of it and I am a lying shill."

Stretcher

Nowadays they're called 'influencers'. It will take scrutinous research to ensure you aren't making a decision based entirely on a biased review, but that's where we have come now so we must adjust or stop watching unfortunately.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Like watching any “car show” on Saturday mornings now. Half hour infomercials are no longer relegated to 2am time slots.

Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I just use it as a tool to see if the product is something I am interested in. Just like anything else, you have to take them with a grain of salt.

Just because a friend, or some vlogger on YT says its the best ever, doesnt mean its best for me.

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I agree that an ad disguised as a video is a little off-putting. However, people want new videos constantly and creating new content can get expensive. As much as I love videos that aren’t plugging a certain product (likely for for free stuff or financial compensation), it’s bound to happen for a lot of successful YTers.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I would assume, not that I know, that many of them who make a ton of videos don't have "real jobs.". If that is true then if their time is going into their production of videos without an 8-5 job to support it they make no money. They have figured out how to do what they love...aka talk about cars, Jeep's, gardening or whatever, not have a daily grind job and probably make more money than most of us. They have figured out the key to financial success is not trading time straight up for money.

Sponsored

Prozac

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I think in general never trust any video unless they explicitly say, I bought and paid for this myself. Its true, a lot of these are "given" products to review.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
A lot of the really GOOD youtubers will show you that product being used, and used HARD. If the product is trash, it will show it as being trashed. In fact, Jeep parts are a little bit easier than go-fast parts for other cars, because go-fast parts can be doctored, etc and you never really know what's going on. When, say, LiteBrite installs a new set of body armor and then drags it all over rocks every where, if it sucked you'd see it sucking and there would be no denying it. In that respect, I find Jeepers a lot more honest about the stuff, and if they can build a brand to get free stuff and/or compensated by making kick-ass videos for me to watch for free, more power to them.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I don't blame the content makers for trying to get paid/get free stuff, as long as they actually believe in those products, and they should disclose that in the video. If I see a product in a video, I may look into it further, but would not rely on that sole video as an only source. Like it or not, these videos do take time and energy to create. And people like to be paid for their time. There are a ton of videos out there that are painful to watch because there is no production value (bad or no editing, poor camera work, bad camera angles, shaky camera, etc). I don't go to work for free. Most people will watch anyway. It can be a good way to learn about certain products, and install videos can be helpful, the after market manufacturers don't seem to do many of those.

But I do agree where some videos seems a bit over the top with placing certain brand name(s) in the video.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Some are very good but others are CLEARLY sponsor-driven. Make your viewing choices and move on. Like everything in life, except for death and taxes, you have a choice.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition, 2004 Wrangler Unlimited
Amen, 100% yes to all of this.
Sponsored