donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that was one of the main reasons I got the mini. I didn’t want to cover the freedom panels. I went with the Rhino Rack platform.
Any chance you can measure the center-to-center distance between the three Rhino-Rack Backbone base plates on your JLU/JLUR? Trying to decide what size Pioneer platform to get (assuming I don't get crossbars).

Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate 1640757622156
Sponsored

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Any chance you can measure the center-to-center distance between the three Rhino-Rack Backbone base plates on your JLU/JLUR? Trying to decide what size Pioneer platform to get (assuming I don't get crossbars).

Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate 1640757622156
I have the 72” x 56”. Is that the measurement you’re looking for?

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 72” x 56”. Is that the measurement you’re looking for?
I called Rhino-Racks first, confirmed the kit I need is that size:

https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/pro...72-x-56-unassembled-with-rlt600-legs_jc-00456

FYI...Rhino Rack are clearing out some smaller platforms on clearance ($200, marked down from $800, too small for my intended use).

Then I called eTrailer and got the complete kit for a couple hundred off retail.

I just paid for the iKamper Skycamp Mini, it's sitting at Main Land Overland, with my name on it.

Once the roof rack stuff comes in, I'll throw caution into the wind and will handle the install.

Then if I survive the install, I'll drive over so I can get the Mini bolted on.

Last edited:

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I called Rhino-Racks first, confirmed the kit I need is that size:

https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/pro...72-x-56-unassembled-with-rlt600-legs_jc-00456

FYI...Rhino Rack are clearing out some smaller platforms on clearance ($200, marked down from $800, too small for my intended use).

Then I called eTrailer and got the complete kit for a couple hundred off retail.

I just paid for the iKamper Skycamp Mini, it's sitting at Main Land Overland, with my name on it.

Once the roof rack stuff comes in, I'll throw caution into the air and will handle the install.

Then if I survive the install, I'll drive over so I can get the Mini bolted on.
Congrats Don! Keep us updated on the progress.

psucanary

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I camped on the ground from 1979 (US Army) through this past year (2021).

I finally got a chance to test soft vs hard RTTs, and I'm sorry but the hard RTTs wins hands down.

The hard RTTs are literally <1 min to set up and tear down, vs 5-10 min for the soft RTTs. Yes, I tested both. :)

I looked at Ursa Minor, but they're not only expensive ($8-14K), there's also am 8-10 month waiting list.

So I'm ready to get a Rhino Rack Backbone with 3 cross bars, instead of the full roof platform.

I'm in final stages of deciding between an iKamper Mini or a Roofnest Condor (not the XL).

I have a couple shops lined up to buy from, and to do the install. Main Line Overland (PA) or OK4WD (NJ).

I'm stoked, already planning my Easter Jeep Safari trip, and a potential Fall trip to CA.

I have RR Backbone with both crossbars and a Platform (crossbars bought for ski box); I thought about using crossbars (x3) for our RTT (traditional) but the platform adds such great handholds that can't imagine not using a platform. I will say with low RCL legs on the platform, it makes bolting the RTT down a bit more work, but I found an easy way to accomplish the task. Just using the crossbars would make bolting the RTT to the system way more easier. Trade-offs..

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Rooftop tent con or anything roof rack mounted: Flying off on freeway, public roads and trails. This is a new trend I'm seeing more and more.

How about those of you running these ridiculous Beverly Hillbilly loads check for securement before you head out and at each stop.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
How about those of you running these ridiculous Beverly Hillbilly loads check for securement before you head out and at each stop.
Would check total weight of the sofa and kitchen sink up there. I’m mounting the iKamper Skycamp Mini onto the front two crossbars, and using loctite on all of the bolts. Those two cross bars will get the most support.

The bases of the front two crossbars connect through the hard top to the Jeep’s roll bars so they provide strength and protection not only from vertical (up and down) stress but also from longitudinal (left to right) stress.

The rear most cross bar gets mounted through the hard top to the kit frame that provides provided protection against vertical (up and down) stress, but not against longitudinal (left to right) stress.

This I learned from the research done leading to my overall product and design decisions. I would guess longitudinal stress is likely why there have been some cases of roof rack cracks on JLs, and is why homey (me) won’t be packing like a Beverly Hillbilly. :p

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security
this guy has some good points:

I am in the same boat trying to choose between ground tent vs RTT. right now i use coleman ground 6 person tent and between me and the gf, we can set up the entire base camp in about 20 mins... i dont know if it would be any faster if i go with RTT unless its a hard shell one or Ursa.. which aint gonna happen right now.

so might get a T4 (if they ever are back in stock) and call it good for now. i am in SE and NOT a big fan of critters either

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
A buddy sent me the solution on how to pee in the middle of the night from a RTT.

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Got the base installed. Took all day. Measured two dozen times and drilled once.

Assembling the crossbars now, will attach in the morning.

Then off to Main Line Overland to pick up the iKamper Mini.

It was more work than I thought. Rewarded myself with some steak.

Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate 4ED8D0FF-4479-4064-B873-46FE666979E6
Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate IMG_0069
Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate IMG_0068
Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate IMG_0065
Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate IMG_0063

Last edited:

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It helps that it is a clip style rather than sleeve style for the poles.
I’ve been shopping ground tents, and I’ve fully decided sleeved poles are a full deal breaker on any tent.

And going back on topic, not only do I lean towards ground tent, but I kind of lean towards smaller backpacking gear. I’m drawn to 2 door Jeeps, and I think it goes hand in hand. People always talk about the lack of storage in a 2-door, but then I think back to how fun backpacking used to be, and that was a zero trunk situation. Two packs can fit in a 2dr with the back seats installed, lol.

I understand people wanting plush and comforts, but when I look at the mounting expenses, the storage (in the vehicle and at home), the physical limitations, it just pushes me to be more minimalist. I’m not really backpacking anymore, but a couple of backpacking setups and a cooler is a great time, still comfortable, and requires so much less off the trail.

So for me, it’s still ground tents, and smaller lightweight ones at that.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Finally finished the three Vortex crossbars. I'm pooped!

Tomorrow morning I'll mount them, remembering to loctite (thank TrailRecon!).

Then off to Main Line Overland to get the iKamper Skycamp Mini bolted on (note to self - ask for bracket locks).
Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate IMG_0073
Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate IMG_0074

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I've made the decision to go RTT myself. Did the drilling yesterday.....not so bad once the first hole is made....
Yea, the first hole was a pucker moment for me too. LOL
Sponsored