Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate

KrisEdward

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport S
Converted to a RTT tent two months ago and I'll never go back to the ground. Camp maybe 20 times a year, many of those in Joshua Tree. For years, I could never justify to myself the cost, weight, potential loss of site, and other cons to purchasing a RTT. Came across a small business selling their own RTT, and everything started falling into place for myself.
First, came across the DeeZee rack. Can support 600lbs static weight without drilling. Second, found a RTT condo that has a queen sized mattress (I added an additional 3inch mattress pad). Lastly, the tent weight was only 105lbs.
Five trips down and I'm never sleeping on the ground again. In Joshua Tree, tarantulas are real. The elevated cross breeze was great. My wife, daughter and I can all sleep together comfortably. Lastly and the main reason IMO, my kid thinks it's cool lol
IMG_20211017_101356_838.jpg
Screenshot_20211017-094318_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20211017-094255_Photos.jpg

IMG_20211017_101356_838.jpg

Screenshot_20211017-094318_Photos.jpg

IMG_20211017_101356_874.jpg
Sponsored

jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s, 21 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
What are these trailer disadvantages you speak of? (in case I haven't thought of it)

I share the same raised COG concerns and I'm thinking that a trailer might be a really convenient "Go Bag" to drag along milder trails as a base camp for more rugged excursions. As opposed to packing low & light, then unloading every trip.
your mpgs go down while towing, and if your going off road you need an off road trailer

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
In Joshua Tree, tarantulas are real.
LOL!! Really? I have slept in the desert and near Joshua Tree dozens of times and never once had a tarantula crawl in my tent. Besides, they are non venomous. If spiders bother you then desert camping is not something you should consider. :LOL::LOL:

jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s, 21 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Down by how much?
And a Jeep with a non off-road camping trailer is just an embarrassment.
No idea but depending on the weight it can be alot. In my powerstroke hooking up my 10k trailer would drop mpgs by to about 12 mpg down from 16 15k id be down to a big ol 10mpg.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
For my 2-door lifted JL, I would have to go with ground tent...The added top weight plus the 'sail effect' of a mounted RTT would make things interesting to say the least when driving in high cross winds or on off camber trails! That said, even on multi day trips most of the time we wind up staying at a B&B...Girls are sooo much friendlier when they have a shower and nice meal😇

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I may still invest in a ground tent as it’s the lightest way to pack and could certainly see it’s benefits for specific types of trips I may take solo. For anything that my wife tags along with, which will be most of my trips, the Turtleback trailer will be my go to choice.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
No idea but depending on the weight it can be alot. In my powerstroke hooking up my 10k trailer would drop mpgs by to about 12 mpg down from 16 15k id be down to a big ol 10mpg.
I guess that would be a perk of a 2dr JL. I'll never tow a 10k trailer. 😆
If you only lost 4 mpg with that I'd guess what I can tow would be neglible.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I guess that would be a perk of a 2dr JL. I'll never tow a 10k trailer. 😆
If you only lost 4 mpg with that I'd guess what I can tow would be neglible.
It is far worse in a gas rig than a diesel. Of course it depends on the terrain and how you drive. In my Ram rebel I average 17 mpg with the 5.7L. Towing the Jeep to telluride and back we averaged 8 mpg. Of course that is an ~8k lb trailer and I had the cruise set at 80 mph the whole way. I could save a bunch of fuel if I slowed down, but I can't help but doing the math. 2300 mi round trip is 29 hrs of driving at 80, or 42 hours at 55. I'll gladly pay for extra fuel when it gains me an entire day of wheeling.

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Kept us away from the crocs and snakes as well as getting slightly more air movement in humid conditions in the far north of Australia. Never had an issue with being top heavy etc. Biggest hassle, packing up before going anywhere but that doesn't take long. I never used on my JK or JL as I didn't want to go through the hassle of a rack that could take the weight, I now tow a camper.

Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate IMG_1179.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate DSCF0291.JPG

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
LOL!! Really? I have slept in the desert and near Joshua Tree dozens of times and never once had a tarantula crawl in my tent. Besides, they are non venomous. If spiders bother you then desert camping is not something you should consider. :LOL::LOL:
I've seen a lot of spiders climb, I've never seen one work a zipper? I'm not sure how the location of the tent changes what critters might crawl, slither, walk, or fly in to camp. Most are 100% harmless and any that would tear through your tent to get you aren't going to care that your 6' off the ground. 2 simple rules, never bring food in the tent and always zip it up. It has worked to avoid any kind of issue across hundreds of camping trips in my life, regardless of tent.

KrisEdward

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport S
Never once in my tents either. And yes I know tarantula bites are not poisonous and may not even break skin. No a spider doesn't scare me.
Camping with two little girls and my wife, they could care less to all this knowledge lol. Saw one hiking and one hiding in my friends firewood pile last week. Going to Jumbo Rock Campground again this Friday and Hidden Valley Campground next Thursday. I consider desert camping my favorite 😆 🤣 😂

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Never once in my tents either. And yes I know tarantula bites are not poisonous and may not even break skin. No a spider doesn't scare me.
Camping with two little girls and my wife, they could care less to all this knowledge lol. Saw one hiking and one hiding in my friends firewood pile last week. Going to Jumbo Rock Campground again this Friday and Hidden Valley Campground next Thursday. I consider desert camping my favorite 😆 🤣 😂
One thing you teach your kids in the desert is no snake jokes. Rattlesnakes are the real danger especially in spring through fall.

OP
OP
xaugievike

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

I appreciate feedback so far.

I'll be honest...my biggest hangup in this "debate" is cost. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind spending some money for quality, Im just not sure thats the premium price on a RTT equates to much of a better tent. Plus the added cost of a rack just to mount it. I wanted to remove the money debate (until now) b/c I wanted to see if there was a perspective I wasnt really thinking of that could sway me. My leanings are more towards something with cold weather capability, but warm weather flexibility. Our RV is the summer getaway...I want to be able to get lost for a weekend in the shoulder seasons and on occasional trips....and some true winter camping (with some abilities to heat it). My leaning right now is shiftpod.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I appreciate feedback so far.

I'll be honest...my biggest hangup in this "debate" is cost. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind spending some money for quality, Im just not sure thats the premium price on a RTT equates to much of a better tent. Plus the added cost of a rack just to mount it. I wanted to remove the money debate (until now) b/c I wanted to see if there was a perspective I wasnt really thinking of that could sway me. My leanings are more towards something with cold weather capability, but warm weather flexibility. Our RV is the summer getaway...I want to be able to get lost for a weekend in the shoulder seasons and on occasional trips....and some true winter camping (with some abilities to heat it). My leaning right now is shiftpod.
That’s a great choice I’ve heard really good things about those. If I go with a tent in addition to my trailer at some point, it’s gonna be either that or a gazelle.

I know you mentioned you had an RV. For me I would love to have maybe up to three different options. A tent, my off-road Turtleback trailer, and a really nice luxury trailer. Then I can just pick my poison and the type of trip I want to take. Although I would need a truck to pull the larger trailer, which adds to overall cost, but I love exploring this vast country and have all 3 options would fit the bill.
Sponsored