First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
One of my biggest issues is the raised COG. I can’t justify having the extra weight on the roof for the type of wheeling I do.
This. I had some scary moments in my wife’s ill equipped Sahara. The RTT really made me feel like I was going to roll and actually came close a few times. I went with a trailer with a RTT on it, which has its own disadvantages but allows me to setup base camp and wheel without all that shit up top :)

422F96F4-1567-4411-9FD7-EC2CC90CC00B.jpeg

4DE1F62E-6641-46FC-8D05-54D86BDA26A8.jpeg

D6874790-2219-43C4-A329-C8146292ED38.jpeg

5592E602-CDA5-41DA-8B9D-39BDA00E44F4.jpeg

20B7FF13-58F1-4AA4-A459-A5AE3B901294.jpeg

4B8DC21E-2C02-4FF2-82D6-939958E157ED.jpeg
Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Well, okay. If you're going so far as to bring a wood stove... :LOL:
Ha, I should have specified. They make lots of small, packable ones nowadays. Doesn't need to be 90lbs. of cast iron.

Dont get me wrong, waking up comfortably with enough inches of goose feathers wrapped around me to get through the night is also great fun.

But a nice, little wood burning stove for ambience/fun at night, and then infinite hot water in the morning is also a nice thing.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I went with a trailer with a RTT on it, which has its own disadvantages
What are these trailer disadvantages you speak of? (in case I haven't thought of it)

I share the same raised COG concerns and I'm thinking that a trailer might be a really convenient "Go Bag" to drag along milder trails as a base camp for more rugged excursions. As opposed to packing low & light, then unloading every trip.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
What are these trailer disadvantages you speak of? (in case I haven't thought of it)

I share the same raised COG concerns and I'm thinking that a trailer might be a really convenient "Go Bag" to drag along milder trails as a base camp for more rugged excursions. As opposed to packing low & light, then unloading every trip.
Just trail maneuverability, really technical stuff and turning radius. Not a whole lot of negatives if just generally looking for relaxing spots to camp and then go wheeling unhitched. I considered all options, tried sleeping in the Jeep, RTT with rack and now this off road trailer. For me, this is by far the best of the three. Plus optioned it with the icon suspension system.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Just trail maneuverability, really technical stuff and turning radius. Not a whole lot of negatives if just generally looking for relaxing spots to camp and then go wheeling unhitched. I considered all options, tried sleeping in the Jeep, RTT with rack and now this off road trailer. For me, this is by far the best of the three. Plus optioned it with the icon suspension system.
Okay, yeah there are definitely trails I wouldn't want to be dragging a trailer around. But there are always places to camp nearby that are easier to get to so I can live with that. For me just my food, water, gas & lightweight camp equipment is weighing me down more than I like for the technical stuff. Add another 175lbs at the very top? No way.

Then there's the slog of post-excursion unpacking. That's such a drag.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Okay, yeah there are definitely trails I wouldn't want to be dragging a trailer around. But there are always places to camp nearby that are easier to get to so I can live with that. For me just my food, water, gas & lightweight camp equipment is weighing me down more than I like for the technical stuff. Add another 175lbs at the very top? No way.

Then there's the slog of post-excursion unpacking. That's such a drag.
Yes sir. You pretty much touched on all the areas which pushed me to a trailer. Ready to go in a moments notice with all my equipment inside it. Get home Sunday night, unhitch and Jeep is ready for work next day.

For me it’s the perfect setup. Cheap by no means, but checks off every box I had on my list. Slightly over 4 months for my Turtleback trailer to be built.

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
(On Roof top tents)

But you can't have a woodstove or fire in a roof tent! Well, not one sanctioned by any manufacturer, anyway.

@xaugievike what kind of camping? Location, weather, duration?
a/c though can be built in
livin lite 6.0 with off road suspension, fuse box, a/c (weight 400 lbs), cost me 3000$ used

Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate 00G0G_is5nkLpAzw4_0CI0pQ_600x450

Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate 00Y0Y_4DOfGJKmh8Q_0CI0pQ_1200x900

Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate 00K0K_eeTEUpJ6Vgk_0CI0pQ_600x450

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Before we get too far I want to eliminate cost from this thread. RTT's are pricey. They have the "hidden" cost of a rack. We know this, so lets just eliminate that for now.

What are your qualifiers in this debate?

For me RTT's are plus in terms of critters (not gonna lie that slithering creatures are issue for me....call me what you will). They dont intrude on interior storage. Noise in windy conditions would be a minus. Perhaps limitations in sleeping comfort with mattresses. another minus is having to pack up when moving.

Ground tents allow one to set up base camp. some options seem to maybe mitigate wind noise (shiftpod?). Sleeping arrangement can be more flexible with cots, etc.

Im seeking trains of thought I havent considered....so fire away.
i used to hunt a lot and slept in tents hundreds of times. Use to go backpacking a lot too. Critters never went in the tent. Also, if they really wanna go in your tent, what makes you think a RTT has you protected? It doesnt....

Typically this is a fear of the inexperienced. Go out camping a few times and itll go away. It is irrational.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Living in CA with a 55mph trailer speed limit and trails as far as 500mi away, it's a hard no on the trailer for me. A 6 hour drive becomes 9 hours. Between that, the maneuverability on the trails, and the natural propensity to bring more stuff because you have more room I just can't compromise with a trailer. The rtt raises cog, increases wind noise, and has a big impact on mpg. The pitbull doesn't climb ladders and the clumsy wife would likely break her neck. With our ground tent, the jeep makes a great wind break when we are out in the desert. A windy night in a rooftop tent feels like sleeping on a boat...in a wind tunnel. Add the ability to set up base camp and completely unload the jeep for tough trails. The fact that our ground tent weighs ~10-12 lbs vs 100-150 for the rtt plus the weight of the rack, even when nomadic camping along long trails we are simply carrying less weight. People errantly think the tent raised off the ground will keep it warmer in the winter and that is exactly the opposite of what's true. The same reason Bridges often have ice on them when the road isn't icy, you're cooling from all sides including underneath when your tent is up in the air. I know we weren't supposed to mention it, but saving $2-20k over rtt's and trailers just can't be ignored either. That being said, I wouldn't rtt if it was the same price as our ground tent. Now if I could get a loaded trailer for $300, I might take the compromises mentioned and use it on some of our trips.

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
i used to hunt a lot and slept in tents hundreds of times. Use to go backpacking a lot too. Critters never went in the tent. Also, if they really wanna go in your tent, what makes you think a RTT has you protected? It doesnt....

Typically this is a fear of the inexperienced. Go out camping a few times and itll go away. It is irrational.
Exactly. Most of the time you encounter things you dont want at camp, you left out food. Not to say there isnt a very small chance a starving animal might approach you, but most animals run from humans, in my experience. If I plan on taking the whole family and dropping camp, I'd prolly look at trailers. If is just me or maybe two people, then it's basic supplies and a ground tent.

Edit: Except for gators. Those things watch you float down the river like they ordered take out. I'd be in a metal enclosure with a cannon camping near the swamps.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
It is very quick to setup and breakdown, and the additional weight is less than a traditional RTT + Rack. I had never seen one (except pictures) before I got mine and the craftsmanship and service is great.
If you're a solo traveler or atleast don't have more than 2 people, this option can't be beaten. I got mine a few weeks ago and have spent 6 nights in it so far. I LOVE how simple it is.

Communication with the company needs a huge improvement though.
OH MY GOD... it drove me insane. At first, it wasn't bad when I was in the queue (I didn't expect much then), but as the time approached it was as bad as it gets. If communication is important to you and you like to have details of a plan sorted out way in advance, this might be a deal-breaker... or at least justification for a Xanax prescription.

That all said, I just wanted to point out an option for winter that doesn't get much attention. A HEATING BLANKET. I camped with one recently that was actually a mattress pad for a twin bed and it was the best experience I've ever had. I go to sleep really warm and after hitting whatever sleep cycles that happen, must just stop making heat as I wake up cold every night I've ever camped.

With the heating blanket, I had some amazing sleep. Yes, your face stays cold, but I kind of like that anyhow. The thing uses 30W on setting 3/10 and 100w on 10/10... but I never have to move it off of setting 3/10 as they self throttle once a certain temp is made. That's only 25 amp hours to be comfortable in freezing temps. You will need a AC/DC converter, but for 100w those are very cheap and small.

Just wanted to throw this out there for those that have warmth requirements as I do. You could build this for under $100, it's lightweight (all in maybe 4 pounds), and tiny. Compare this to a gas heater and I think you've got a winner.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
I guess I’ve always had the mindset it’s called camping for a reason and not glamping. My grandpa would have punched me in the face for saying glamping.
Sponsored