First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

Hello from a fellow [near] Chicagoan.

I've had the same debate myself and landed on ground tent. I did spend for a top tier tent (think Everest base camp) and bags/pads that can easily manage 0 and lower temps. So it wasn't cheap, but not close to a RTT.

The pads I use are 4.5" thick and very well insulated so outside of protection from the cold ground, they are super comfortable as well.

I have a growing family and going up/down the Jeep with a crew - assuming we could all fit - didn't seem realistic. It's much smaller and keeps my entire roof rack open for gear specific to the adventure - i.e. fishing pole mount for a weekend fishing trip, etc.

I've also heard that even with strong platforms, you are still slightly flexing the fiberglass tops when you put hundreds of pounds of moving weight on top of them and that over time (years) they could get damaged.

I have the rhino rack backbone installed, so if I ever change my mind (doubtful) I can go that route, but part of me feels that it RTT's are somewhat trendy. Similar to the way trailers have become over the last year. We aren't too many trends until we have some Jeep/RV morph going on...
Sponsored

MassMopar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JT Mojave, 23 JLR
The most important thing you can do is be honest with yourself. What is your use case. How often are you going to use the piece of gear under consideration. How much of an improvement - objectively and subjectively - will it make to your experience. Now spreadsheets and weeks of analysis are one way to do it but let's be honest - we're all Jeep people. That means typically we've made a decision to get a fun, impractical, expensive vehicle versus some boring cheaper jellybean that would meet most of our needs. There's an element of emotion in every choice.

There are some places that rent out little trailers with RTTs. Give it a spin, see how you like it before you decide one way or another.

We've personally started with a complicated gigantic ground tent. It took 2 people at least 30 minutes to deploy and was a pain. It took away from the experience.

Up next we threw a rhino rack backbone w/2 crossbars on my JKUR and picked up a CVT RTT. It was a size above their smallest and it worked great, we loved it - like camping in a treehouse - but we needed more space for a growing family and it had all of the downsides mentioned above. The biggest was locking the jeep in place. Even if deploying the tent was a 1-man 15 minute task, by the time you get your bedding and everything setup, it was probably a solid 30 minutes. Tearing down to run to the store to come back and rebuild was a pain. We took a 2 week 3000+ mile trip in it to Canada - it was great, the biggest issue was the lack of space to hang out in torrential rain (we didn't have an awning room).

Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate Meat_Cove_2016 (1)

And a Jeep with a non off-road camping trailer is just an embarrassment.
Funny you mention that - Our current solution is a decidedly non-off-road 5x8 cargo trailer with a very large tepui RTT on it. Parents sleep in the tent with the dog (I carry her up and down the ladder) with ample room to spare - larger than a king bed up there. Baby (now kid) sleeps down below in the locked, hard-sided trailer with electrical power for things like noise machines, baby camera, fan, etc. Parents can hang by the campfire keeping an eye on kiddo and go to bed later without any issues.

On the topic of off-road vs non-off-road trailers - again we were honest with ourselves and our use case when we spec'd the trailer. Honestly, the thing we needed most was a solid platform for our RTT and a dry box to hang out in if it's really bad out. The trailer interior includes an L bench, a fold down dinner table and a fridge... what more do you need?
A few reasons that kept us in the on-road trailer category: #1 cost. I can't afford a 30-40k+ trailer that we'd use a dozen times a year. Our rig all-in was about 12k. #2 space. Most off-road trailers don't have adequate interior room for a family to hang out in unless they're really expensive, and #3 use case - what trail am I actually going to drag my $30k+ trailer down and be comfortable doing it? 99.9% of the time I will drop the trailer at a base camp and then wheel the Jeep carrying only supplies for the day.

The best part is - now I get to flip open the soft top on the jeep without having an RTT up there. 2nd best part - our non-off-road trailer is only 2000lbs and the rubicon can easily drag it places it shouldn't be :)
3rd best part - roof deck! We opted for a plywood reinforced flat roof on the trailer and we can climb out of the front door of the tent and hang out up there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate 69479960_10106473454162852_8123322258266521600_n

Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate 71029025_10106515441385122_5205341466141917184_n

Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate IMG_9847.PNG

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I camped on the ground from 1979 (US Army) through this past year (2021).

I finally got a chance to test soft vs hard RTTs, and I'm sorry but the hard RTTs wins hands down.

The hard RTTs are literally <1 min to set up and tear down, vs 5-10 min for the soft RTTs. Yes, I tested both. :)

I looked at Ursa Minor, but they're not only expensive ($8-14K), there's also am 8-10 month waiting list.

So I'm ready to get a Rhino Rack Backbone with 3 cross bars, instead of the full roof platform.

I'm in final stages of deciding between an iKamper Mini or a Roofnest Condor (not the XL).

I have a couple shops lined up to buy from, and to do the install. Main Line Overland (PA) or OK4WD (NJ).

I'm stoked, already planning my Easter Jeep Safari trip, and a potential Fall trip to CA.

Last edited:

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I camped on the ground from 1979 (US Army) through this past year (2021).

I finally got a chance to test soft vs hard RTTs, and I'm sorry but the hard RTTs wins hands down.

The hard RTTs are literally <1 min to set up and tear down, vs 5-10 min for the soft RTTs. Yes, I tested both. :)

I looked at Ursa Minor, but they're not only expensive ($8-14K), there's also am 8-10 month waiting list.

So I'm ready to get a Rhino Rack Backbone with 3 cross bars, instead of the full roof platform.

I'm in final stages of deciding between an iKamper Mini or a Roofnest Condor (not the XL).

I have a couple shops lined up to buy from, and to do the install. Main Line Overland (PA) or OK4WD (NJ).

I'm stoked, already planning my Easter Jeep Safari trip, and a potential Fall trip to CA.
Congrats on the new tent (almost) Don! I went with the iKamper mini and I am very happy with the tent. The materials are high quality and the setup time is really quick once you get used to it. The mini will fit two people and a dog comfortably, more than that it will be tight. Only downsides so far are (1) the mattress which is pretty firm and (2) because of design not being able to leave much bedding inside. I’ve seen people run exped self inflating mattresses but that just seems like a hassle to deflate. My suggestion is visit the shops and see the tents for yourself, this will help you see the size, quality of materials, mattress firmness, etc

1934067D-4247-4899-98F2-81A92E5A2CD5.jpeg

A9DF8628-6CC3-4084-8E07-B7713ED66160.jpeg

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the new tent (almost) Don! I went with the iKamper mini and I am very happy with the tent. The materials are high quality and the setup time is really quick once you get used to it. The mini will fit two people and a dog comfortably, more than that it will be tight. Only downsides so far are (1) the mattress which is pretty firm and (2) because of design not being able to leave much bedding inside. I’ve seen people run exped self inflating mattresses but that just seems like a hassle to deflate. My suggestion is visit the shops and see the tents for yourself, this will help you see the size, quality of materials, mattress firmness, etc

Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate A9DF8628-6CC3-4084-8E07-B7713ED66160

Jeep Wrangler JL Your take on the RTT vs. Ground tent debate A9DF8628-6CC3-4084-8E07-B7713ED66160
I love how the freedom panels are not covered up. I appreciate the photos and recommendation.

What are you using for a base/platform...are you using crossbars?

Sponsored

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I love how the freedom panels are not covered up. I appreciate the photos and recommendation.

What are you using for a base/platform...are you using crossbars?
Yeah that was one of the main reasons I got the mini. I didn’t want to cover the freedom panels. I went with the Rhino Rack platform.

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Ground tent all the way. For the amount you spend on a RTT you can buy the nicest base camp tent available from Mountain hardware, Marmot, Black Diamond etc. There are so many reasons not to buy a RTT. Stuck at camp, top heavy, restrictive 99.99% of the time you use your vehicle. There’s no way I’d want that mess above my vehicle if I was taking hard lines or out for a week long trip. To be honest I’m more of an avid adventurer that doesn’t stay anywhere near my vehicle once it’s parked, so a bivy sack is what I use the most. If I was the type to stick around the trailhead I’d spend that kinda cash on a small trailer or an RV to pull my Jeep.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
RTT is awesome, if I could afford one. I could justify the cost if the plan wasn't to get a rugged tear drop. I already have three nice tents, I could probably sell all three of those and get a RTT. For now I'll continue with the ground camping until I get a trailer.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
RTT is ideal for camping in bad weather, but I don't like the added weight so high.

Should I decide to camp in bad weather, I will use a tent cot. It's off the ground and it's light.

When the weather is good, which is pretty much close to all the time, I often sleep in a sleeping bag on a mat.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
We have one of the aforementioned on-road travel trailers, a 2021 Avenger 16RD. We have my wife, a 15 year old, 2.5 year old, the corgi, and myself.

Our usual camping spots are off of forest roads. So washboard and potholes is about all we contend with. Then it gets dropped and stays put until we're ready to drag it home.

But this allows us to have fun and wheel once we're there. We're planning a trip to Moab, though we might stay in a hotel for that, and maybe Zion for a family getogether (Idaho, Arizona, California all meeting up).

However, if i had to pick between RTT and ground, I'd choose ground. I don't like tearing down and setting up being the memories of a trip.

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I would never ever consider a roof top tent. For myself it's a waste of money, weight, and hassle to set up/tear down. I imagine the clamshell ones are easier. They are also heavier.

I can deploy my Kelty including footprint, rain fly and sleeping bag/pad in under 5 minutes. Even in a downpour I'll be in relative comfort. The whole setup is under 15 lbs. Kind of heavy but good for a park and camp.

In the morning I fire up my Jet Boil and start packing up tent. By the time the water is boiling (3 or 4 minutes depending on elevation) my tent and sleeping gear is packed and stowed. Make my instant coffee, oatmeal and morning snack. Eat and enjoy my coffee while cleaning camp.

I can have my coffee/breakfast and camp torn down and be traveling in under 30 minutes. If I skip breakfast all of 15 minutes to be rolling out of camp. Most of the time I'll relax and take my time. then it's about an hour or so because I'm kicking back.

No matter what vehicle I'm on or when I used to hike. It's all about going as simple and light as possible. My biggest oversized luxury is the Jet Boil. It is bulky for a stove but It's something I take with me even when motorcycle camping or backpacking.
I can set up my ground tent very quickly, even in the dark by myself with just a headlamp. It helps that it is a clip style rather than sleeve style for the poles.

If a critter did come by in the middle of the night that could actually pose a threat I’d much rather have a ground tent that I could exit, or even cut my way through the fabric, quickly instead of having to do my best impression of Superfly Snuka while jumping out of an RTT.

I’d consider an RTT if I was retired and going on lots of trips per year.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL!! Really? I have slept in the desert and near Joshua Tree dozens of times and never once had a tarantula crawl in my tent. Besides, they are non venomous. If spiders bother you then desert camping is not something you should consider. :LOL::LOL:
Set out a candle lantern on a rock at night in Joshua Tree and watch the amazingly large size of creepy crawlies that emerge from the seemingly barren environs.

But they won’t get into your tent if you are zipped.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

1934067D-4247-4899-98F2-81A92E5A2CD5.jpeg

A9DF8628-6CC3-4084-8E07-B7713ED66160.jpeg
Someone else posted about how so many of the RTT models appear to be similar with just different branding. That’s because many are made in China, either at the same factory or at another factory where designs are easily copied and intellectual property (especially of foreign companies) is not a concept that is highly valued among the populace or the government.

iKamper, GoFast, James Baroud, and Autohome are among the brands who manufacture in the country of their design team and they all have reputations for high quality of product.

China is capable of producing really high quality stuff but usually that will require the design team to have a deep understanding of manufacturing and the business team emphasizing quality as a product differentiator. That’s something companies like Apple, Volkswagen and General Electric do have the expertise. RTT companies are a cottage industry that seems to be populated by enthusiasts, not industrialists and it shows in the quality of the products, and often even in the design.

Last edited:

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
It helps that it is a clip style rather than sleeve style for the poles.
+ Me too. Definitely the only way to go!!

Set out a candle lantern on a rock at night in Joshua Tree and watch the amazingly large size of creepy crawlies that emerge from the seemingly barren environs.
We used to tie hot dog chunks to aluminum cans in the rocks. The coyotes would come out at night and you could find them from the rattle. Good times!!
Sponsored