Your seasonal fuel mileage trends

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Now that May is finally acting like May, I can make recurring trips with the soft windows removed and the top lowered. Previously, I'd sneak in an occasional drive with the top in the Sunrider position as conditions would allow.

I've accumulated enough miles to notice a consistent 1.x mpg reduction in fuel efficiency with the top down, when compared to the same trips (errands) on the same roads at similar times of the day. Have any of you observed an efficiency penalty when comparing sustained top up to top down driving?
Sponsored

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
Oh yea... I see about a 1-3 mpg decrease depending on how fast in driving.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Same here, itā€™s actually the worse with the sun rider open. It acts like a parachute here.

Days 30 degrees and below are just as bad due to the denser air.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I don't pay attention. Burning more gas while topless is cheaper then paying a therapist for an "hour" and also more helpful to me.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I have 2.0 T:
New picked up 9/5/2019. It had under 10 miles in the odometer when I took delivery. Iā€™m Rolling on 35ā€™s.

So far the below holds true for me and my driving habits. I will add that this is my DD. Setting at just a little over 30k miles.....

Winter months my total running average drops down to.... 18-19 mpg
Mid Spring - late Fall it climbs to about 23-24.

depending on overall conditions and driving routes, I have seen the average drop as low as 17.5 and climb as high as 25.5mpg

Sponsored

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
I normally get around 20 depending on where Iā€™m driving. But when I took the top/doors off it dropped to about 17.3 and felt super sluggish. Kind of sucks that where I am, highway driving is 99% of the driving youā€™ll be doing.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This thread highlights what we all know; the wrangler is less aerodynamic than a barn.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I stopped paying attention to MPGs after I sold my Prius......

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
2018 JLUR 3.6l on a 2.5" lift and 35's and I'm getting 15 mpg if I baby it šŸ™„.. about the same as my 2010 JKUR with the same set up plus a winch and aftermarket bumpers.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Now that May is finally acting like May, I can make recurring trips with the soft windows removed and the top lowered. Previously, I'd sneak in an occasional drive with the top in the Sunrider position as conditions would allow.

I've accumulated enough miles to notice a consistent 1.x mpg reduction in fuel efficiency with the top down, when compared to the same trips (errands) on the same roads at similar times of the day. Have any of you observed an efficiency penalty when comparing sustained top up to top down driving?
lol, efficiency penalty. Being a Jeep is an efficiency penalty in itself. Top down just makes it worse and 1.x MPG is exactly what you can expect.

On the bright side, a top-down Jeep is more aerodynamic than a parachute. So you got that going for you.
Sponsored