Sponsored

Your predictions for 2018 Wrangler MPG fuel economy?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I would be quite surprised if a Wrangler with any engine, could produce "real world" mileage in the mid-20's.

I was totally uninterested in getting a JL. The SelecTrac is nudging me a bit closer, and actual mileage in the mid-20's might be the last needed push. I mean a jump from 16 to 25 would put a grin from ear-to-ear on me. :D
Well, the Pentastar is already at 18 (again, I'm talking combined cycle numbers which is what really matters for the average person). So the update will push it to 19 or 20.

That means the Hurricane will need to be in the 22-25 MPG range at a minimum, otherwise they will lose their biggest selling point of the engine option. And with the BSG feature, it should easily do it.

I'm guessing 19-20 MPG for Pentastar, 24 for Hurricane, and 25 for EcoDiesel.

There is no way P-star goes up 3-4 MPGs. 8-speed and 10-speed transmissions don't do jack **** for fuel economy in the real world, and the JL isn't going to shed much if any weight after they add all the new safety equipment and stronger drivetrains.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
There is no way P-star goes up 3-4 MPGs. 8-speed and 10-speed transmissions don't do jack **** for fuel economy in the real world, and the JL isn't going to shed much if any weight after they add all the new safety equipment and stronger drivetrains.
The 8-speed definitely helps, especially compared to low overdrive and tight ratio NAG1. But, it's not magic, it's still gotta deal with weight and drag.

A couple of comparisons on the same platform, the pentastar on the GC when it switched from 6 to 8 speed (2013/2014), and the current RAM 1500's small ratio 6sp vs 8spd with the Hemi. Yields a small, but calculable difference. Now going from 8 to 10 is simply diminishing returns so the derived benifits are reduced especially if the Overdrive ratios are similar, however from a short & tight 5 to tall & wide 8 is a significant difference.

IMG_0764.jpg

Also , the GenII Zf-8 has reduced friction and other parasitic aspects and is slightly more efficient than the previous generation.
Eemember it has this new off-pedal/idle coasting mode (which I'm concered about its impact on engine braking effectiveness downhill) which is supposed to improve efficiency specifically by not inhibiting the vehicle & engine.

Here's ZF's material, which is definitely going to oversell the extent of the benefits, but the technology and the reduction of losses in the system is sound.

https://www.zf.com/global/media/pro...df_3/expertise_in_automatic_transmissions.pdf

Just the highlighted efficiency chart for ZF transmissions

IMG_0766.jpg

* But again, we're talking about small improvements, on a vehicle whose very nature resists fuel efficient efforts.
So people need to expect/hope for small improvements , not massive ones.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Well, the Pentastar is already at 18 (again, I'm talking combined cycle numbers which is what really matters for the average person). So the update will push it to 19 or 20.
I was pretty clear, I am talking about real world numbers.

While most people know that EPA estimates are pie-in-the-sky wishes, my concern is that the gap between EPA and real-world seems to getting worse as more and more vehicles get small engines with turbos. For example, there is a well know, very wide gap, between EPA and real-world with Ford's EgoBoasting engines.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This link requires a Subscription, or "Sign In", so no Go. However, the "take away" is probably that a small , tuned to the Max, hard-working engine is going to have a narrow "efficiency " band, and require expensive maintenance intervals, premium fuel.
Over-all costs to operate can be higher on this Good on Paper engine, than a less fuel efficient, but more durable engine.
Sponsored