Sponsored

Your 3.0L Diesel's MPG's, share with the class.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I got this today. 32.9 Mpg for 282 miles. Mostly highway with flat land and mountains. Some red lights. That was traveling the same route to and from, so it wasn’t just down hill. I’m on 37s with the stock 3.73 gears. The cruise was on 65 most of the way even though the speed limit is 70 in parts. I took the pix after I parked in the garage and turned the engine off. The mpg doesn’t display with the engine off so I started it just to take the pix. The temp gauge hadn’t come up when I snapped the picture, that is why it reads low.

All those folks pumping gas and charging batteries bought the wrong engine.
Jeep Wrangler JL Your 3.0L Diesel's MPG's, share with the class. 840439D7-37E8-4184-93D0-A5896F66C476
Sponsored

gnome

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
.... 1994 base YJ .......... 2006 Dakota ..... ..... 2020 Sahara 3.0D
Occupation
retired IBEW electrician
... one factor that hasn't been mentioned is the gearing difference of a Sahara v Rubicon...
... I have a Sahara with the stock tires @ 39psi... lead footing around town, I have never gotten less than 27.1, and regularly get 31 point something highway... 70mph is less than 2,000rpm ....

...2X what Tank said... "All those folks pumping gas and charging batteries bought the wrong engine. " ....

.... the low end torque alone is worth the cost of the diesel.... the 30+ mpg is just more icing on the cake!...

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
... one factor that hasn't been mentioned is the gearing difference of a Sahara v Rubicon...
There is no difference. All 3.0 Wranglers come with 3.73 gears. Even the Rubicon. No option for 4.10 gears with the diesel from the factory.

gnome

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
.... 1994 base YJ .......... 2006 Dakota ..... ..... 2020 Sahara 3.0D
Occupation
retired IBEW electrician
...thank you for that... I thought all Rubicons came with lower gearing.... :beer:

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
...thank you for that... I thought all Rubicons came with lower gearing.... :beer:
Depending on the year, 3.73 was standard for even some gas Rubicons with 4.10's as an option. And, of course, the XR package comes with 4.56 now.

Sponsored

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
So now that my JLUR/D is thoroughly broken in at 34k miles, I have a question. How are some of you guys getting 23+ MPG doing 75MPH or higher? I mean, I have stock tires and a 2.5" spacer lift on Aftermarket 17" Black Rhinos, bumper and winch and average, average mind you, 18 MPG. this is a true 50/50 driving experience. on the highway at 75 I'm getting 23 tops! (Thus says the dash) 21.5 (Hand calculated). in the city with Auto Start De-activated ALWAYS, 18 MPG (Through the dash) and 17 MPG hand calculated. Now I live in SE Texas and it's Flat! No Hills, nothing but straight flat sea-level roads. I am about to get my 37's for Christmas and can only imagine how bad the fuel mileage will be adding the tires. I mean, don't get me wrong, still better than my JK on 35's by far (13MPG AVG). But how is everyone putting up high mileage numbers? I don't get it? reading through these threads, you would swear that the Jeep Eco diesel is the next generation hybrid! Stock absolutely this Jeep was frugal on fuel. but modded with wheels, tires, bumpers, winch and gear like some have stated, yeah, not so much. So what gives? Do I need to take it to the shop to find out why I cannot produce anything over 24MPG EVER? Just curious.

OP
OP
Compression-Ignition

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
So now that my JLUR/D is thoroughly broken in at 34k miles, I have a question. How are some of you guys getting 23+ MPG doing 75MPH or higher? I mean, I have stock tires and a 2.5" spacer lift on Aftermarket 17" Black Rhinos, bumper and winch and average, average mind you, 18 MPG. this is a true 50/50 driving experience. on the highway at 75 I'm getting 23 tops! (Thus says the dash) 21.5 (Hand calculated). in the city with Auto Start De-activated ALWAYS, 18 MPG (Through the dash) and 17 MPG hand calculated. Now I live in SE Texas and it's Flat! No Hills, nothing but straight flat sea-level roads. I am about to get my 37's for Christmas and can only imagine how bad the fuel mileage will be adding the tires. I mean, don't get me wrong, still better than my JK on 35's by far (13MPG AVG). But how is everyone putting up high mileage numbers? I don't get it? reading through these threads, you would swear that the Jeep Eco diesel is the next generation hybrid! Stock absolutely this Jeep was frugal on fuel. but modded with wheels, tires, bumpers, winch and gear like some have stated, yeah, not so much. So what gives? Do I need to take it to the shop to find out why I cannot produce anything over 24MPG EVER? Just curious.
Luck of the draw and or driving habits. My wife's 3.0L gets 17-19 (hand calculated) in town short tripping with tons of idling for warmup purposes. In the winter it comes down a mile per gallon. That is pretty dang good in my book.

I don't know what I said elsewhere in the thread and I'm not going back to check (so as to possibly relay a more true and updated experience), but if I said 23+ mpg at 75mph I think that would be a bit high. At 60mph we can see 25mpg on 37/13.5r17 Toyo MT's. 75mph would have to be closer to 21-22.5ish. It's not flat here in Eastern WA, I'd say a mix of some flat stretches, hills, and then straight up mountains. Jeep is setup about the same, 2.5" spacer lift, 2.5" Fox's, Terra Flex carrier, and everything else stock.

I would not take your Jeep in. Like I said luck of the draw and driving habits. When I drive my wife's Jeep I can get it to passive regen in town. She never can. I wouldn't say I'm flogging the crap out of it either. I have to baby the hell out of it and increase the rpm's to the moon in manual mode when I'm trying to get a regen completed for her. She just drives normal and the regen will start. If I try to go get it done it starts to passively regen if I don't watch what's going on. No big deal until she has 3 partial regens in a row and then the system gets pissy. Which it hasn't because I'm actively trying to avoid such a situation.

Nothing wrong with your Jeep man. As an aside, I really don't think my wife's 3.0L did any better on the stock 285's, which is weird, so....

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
I’m still getting an average of 20 mpg. All my numbers are hand calculated, I never use the dash. I’m now on 39 KM3s and 4 inch lift, stock 3.73 gears. Lots of added weight, Motobilt tire carrier, warn 12s winch. I really try to keep it under 70 mph…. And mostly cruise at 65 in the slow lane. 😂. If I go 75 or more, I start seeing mpg numbers in the 18’s.

When I’ve driven across the country, I run 85+ Up to 90mph, and I’ll start seeing mpg numbers drop into the 13s. Lol. Once I get to going that fast, I notice it likes 7th gear more than 8th, and the RPMs start going higher than 2500.

With the stock wheels, I did get better MPGs throughout all speed ranges. It’s just way less drag than these extra wide and tall tires. After my 3rd set of tires on this Jeep, I say the biggest factor in fuel economy is driving style. Also, keep in mind, I drive mostly highway, in the city I’d probably be getting less.

I should still have my Fuelly link in my signature, take a look at that. It’s very accurate, I never miss a drop of fuel.

Luke3.0

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0
I have a stock rubicon 3.0 (on 33s, 32psi in front, 36psi in rear). Fueling to Fueling, hand calculated I’m averaging 25 mpg, the Jeep displays ~22.5 gpm. Even when the trip computer say I have 0 miles remaining I find I can only fit ~16.5 gallons in a 18+ fuel tank, so there is definitely an inherent variance between the gauge, trip computer, and actual. On the highway at 75-80mpg I was averaging around 24, at 55-65 I’m averaging close to 30. I have 3500 miles to date so should improve overtime.
Also I did not have a chance to adjust my tire pressures for the winter yet. I like to keep them 34 front 38 rear, that should only help mpgs. Absolutely love the 3.0 for the torque and tank like sound, mpg is just a plus!

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Even when the trip computer say I have 0 miles remaining I find I can only fit ~16.5 gallons in a 18+ fuel tank, so there is definitely an inherent variance between the gauge, trip computer, and actual.
I actually haven’t run out of fuel yet… which is surprising. Lol. I push the dummy fuel light. When mine gets to 0 after counting down. I’ve gone up to an extra 45 highway miles. I understand the intention to give a 50 mile reserve after it drops to 0 miles on the countdown. Seeing as I typically baby the throttle if/when I get to this point I’d guess there is an extra 2-2.5 gallons of fuel after the counter hits 0 miles. After this, I have put in 18+ gallons.

Here is a fuel log of one such occasion. This occasion actually took more fuel than that time I broke my fuel filter housing on the Rubicon Trail, and dumped fuel to the ground! I was concerned about fuel on the trail I bought a 5 gal fuel can, filled it up and carried it a mile down to where the Jeep was stranded. Turned out I never had to use the fuel in the can. The reserve fuel in the tank took me from the trail all the way to South Lake Tahoe where the nearest gas station was.

Jeep Wrangler JL Your 3.0L Diesel's MPG's, share with the class. 1639679977311

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
21-23 on 35 inch RG's with Mopar lift.

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
I actually haven’t run out of fuel yet… which is surprising. Lol. I push the dummy fuel light. When mine gets to 0 after counting down. I’ve gone up to an extra 45 highway miles. I understand the intention to give a 50 mile reserve after it drops to 0 miles on the countdown. Seeing as I typically baby the throttle if/when I get to this point I’d guess there is an extra 2-2.5 gallons of fuel after the counter hits 0 miles. After this, I have put in 18+ gallons.

Here is a fuel log of one such occasion. This occasion actually took more fuel than that time I broke my fuel filter housing on the Rubicon Trail, and dumped fuel to the ground! I was concerned about fuel on the trail I bought a 5 gal fuel can, filled it up and carried it a mile down to where the Jeep was stranded. Turned out I never had to use the fuel in the can. The reserve fuel in the tank took me from the trail all the way to South Lake Tahoe where the nearest gas station was.

Jeep Wrangler JL Your 3.0L Diesel's MPG's, share with the class. 1639679977311
South lake on the California side should be be minimum 53 cetane 👌

Eeshasdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Rubicon
I have been getting 20-21 in the summer and about 19 in the winter. Combined driving. Jeep is running on Dynatrac 60's with 4.11's, also running Evo High clearance with about 4.5" of lift and NItto 37's.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
My JTRD gets 18-19 city and 24-25 highway flat but with hills more like 22-23. This is going 70-75. Stock wheels, 4 1/2” lift, winch, steel bumper group, 37” KO2’s.

Once you hit 75-80 all bets are off.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
See attached avg for my JTRD over 9k. 70% city. As others have suggests you have to be throttle cautious

B0E44555-96D0-499F-A46B-30F1CE7B62DB.jpeg
Sponsored