Sponsored

Your 3.0L Diesel's MPG's, share with the class.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
This was mostly highway driving with the cruise set on 64 mph. I’m on 37s and in the NC mountains.
Jeep Wrangler JL Your 3.0L Diesel's MPG's, share with the class. 7826B0AC-1294-45FE-ACE7-5C0AA1ED74E1
Sponsored

MrFenderpicks

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I drove 400 miles this weekend.
And i got only 23.1 MPG going @ 70-85 Mph on the interstate.

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link

mvng4wd

First Name
Keno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's - 3.0L EcoDiesel
Occupation
Municipal Community Services Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a little concerned that at 3K miles, mostly city driving, I'm only getting 19 mpg. Stock suspension with 33's and no extra add ons.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The mpg’s of the diesel are impressive and make me wish we’d waited, although I love the 2.0t so far. What amazes me is the number of people buying wranglers for LONG commutes. Even if my wrangler got 40 miles to the gallon I wouldn’t want to wear out my expensive off road tires that fast, let alone the rest of the wear and tear items. I’ve commuted for 20+ years, at least 150 miles a day and there’s no way that’s remotely cost effective. I’ve bought cheap beaters back when I was an apprentice for the price of 1 of our 37’s. To each their own, but I’ve never looked at our Jeep as a commuter car.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm a little concerned that at 3K miles, mostly city driving, I'm only getting 19 mpg. Stock suspension with 33's and no extra add ons.
2,000 miles averaging 18-19 mpg on 35s in mostly city driving. My 3.6 JK on 35s averaged 13-14 mpg under the same conditions. The delta between the two official EPA combined estimates is consistent (exactly) to the delta that I am experiencing.

In 100% highway driving I get 25 - 27 mpg.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
The mpg’s of the diesel are impressive and make me wish we’d waited, although I love the 2.0t so far. What amazes me is the number of people buying wranglers for LONG commutes. Even if my wrangler got 40 miles to the gallon I wouldn’t want to wear out my expensive off road tires that fast, let alone the rest of the wear and tear items. I’ve commuted for 20+ years, at least 150 miles a day and there’s no way that’s remotely cost effective. I’ve bought cheap beaters back when I was an apprentice for the price of 1 of our 37’s. To each their own, but I’ve never looked at our Jeep as a commuter car.
if I’m spending any length of time in a vehicle I’m driving what i want to be.
if that’s a wrangler for some so be it. Some people are fine driving a Prius because it’s cheap snd on the opposite side my next door neighbor drives 200 miles a day in his GWagon.

we’re all on borrowed time might as well enjoy it

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
if I’m spending any length of time in a vehicle I’m driving what i want to be.
if that’s a wrangler for some so be it. Some people are fine driving a Prius because it’s cheap snd on the opposite side my next door neighbor drives 200 miles a day in his GWagon.

we’re all on borrowed time might as well enjoy it
My comment about budget beaters was just an example from a purely financial aspect. I haven't been an apprentice or driven a beater in decades. I 100% agree that you should commute in something comfortable if you can afford it. As much as I love our jeep and jeeps in general (I think we've owned 10 in the past 20 years) the off road prowess come with on road compromises. Take a base model wrangler, for the same $30k+ you can buy a mazda 6 grand touring, loaded, with the 2.5t. Unless your commute includes rough terrain, the Mazda destroys the base wrangler. Faster, quieter, better handling, smoother on the road, adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, better mpg's, heated and cooled seats, concert quality audio, and on and on. Our loaded 2019 jlur has most of those features, but the our Mazda does all of them better. The jeep was double the price. In the $60k range, the jeep is likely the slowest, least luxurious, worst road vehicle in that price range. As I said, whatever floats your boat. Our jeep is plenty comfortable for road trips (pretty much all of which involve some off roading), but there are far better commuters out there in my opinion.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
You are probably going through more active regens too in those driving conditions - so averaging 19 mpg in that situation sounds about right.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
seeing low 20's in mixed city/highway/stop-and-go commuting on 35x12.5s with 3.5"+ lift.

as noted, MPGs dive dramatically over 70 MPH, or if you stuff your foot deep into it. but it's amazing how well it actually does in a stop-and-go commute situation (which sadly, is a part of life).

Bluesharp

First Name
Bluesharp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara diesel , 1966 MGB
Occupation
Prison dentist...no, seriously 😷 RETIRED!!!
With 2300 miles so far I'm averaging 29+ mpg. That said, my commute is 26 miles with only 3 stop signs. Highway trips have averaged 29-31, depending on speed driven. By contrast my last car was a 328d wagon which averaged 45-47, 50+ highway.