Sponsored

Your 3.0L Diesel's MPG's, share with the class.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Don't you guys hand calculate? I'm seeing lots of pictures of what the Jeep says it gets. Mine is occasionally on, but it can be 2 mpg high or low as well.
I regularly check the fuel mileage both by the indicator and by miles driven. Normally the result is within a mile or so. Overall I am very happy with the diesel.
Sponsored

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
stock gearing?
yes, on the 3.73s with 38’s.

Don't you guys hand calculate? I'm seeing lots of pictures of what the Jeep says it gets. Mine is occasionally on, but it can be 2 mpg high or low as well.
always, I’m usually 1 mpg lower than the dash. Every once in a while I get a surprise and I’m 2 mpg low!

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
First road trip of about 130 miles round trip: 29 mpg (stock Rubicon/stock BFG ATs). Change in elevation of about 3,000' (low 5K' to the mid 8K'). Some 70mph, but mostly 35-45 mph windy mountain roads.

Jeep Wrangler JL Your 3.0L Diesel's MPG's, share with the class. IMG_3233

...First, DEF usage is far higher than I thought it would be . . . I know it was completely topped off by my dealer (my very close cousin and his amazing crew) . . . I arrived home with the DEF tank at the one-quarter fill level.
Don't know about in your case, but for me, using 4WD (high) at low speeds eats DEF quickly. I had about 1.5 hours in 4WD, and it ate about 1/4 of the DEF tank. A subsequent 4WD outing of about 1 hour ate it down to just over half. Not sure how anyone is supposed to make a multi-day overlanding-style trip without carrying two spare 2.5 gal DEF refills. I'm hoping it eats less DEF once I've had it a while, but I doubt it.

...Second, fuses were checked and most were found NOT to be completely seated, which actually surprised everyone at the dealership and they will now be checking this regularly.
Need to check mine. Mine was probably one of the last 2020 diesels to roll off the assembly line, so hopefully they had that sorted – but this is Jeep, so I will for sure check.

Third, this engine is an ABSOLUTE JOY to drive . . . passing power at any speed is amazing with absolutely no drama of a whining engine or sudden/harsh transmission downshifts on uphill mountain interstate highways (I-70 between Denver and Grand Junction, CO; and I-17 between Flagstaff and Phoenix). This engine pulls like a freight train and accelerates from 60 to 80 mph almost as quickly as 2007 BMW 335i. Simply incredible...
Could not agree more. This engine pulls harder than the pre-TDI-fix VW Toureg I had, and that was insane. The harsh downshifting and engine screaming on mountain passes at high altitudes on my previous JKs was something I simply did not want to repeat with the JL. The JL diesel doesn't even break a sweat. And somewhere around the 500 mile mark, the transmission/engine decided it had learned my driving style and just screams now. I think some people who report the pedal feel being sluggish must be test-driving new vehicles with 10-50 miles on them or something. Either that or I learned not to be shy about putting my foot into the accelerator, lol.

StuartR

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Wow... I am showing 16.5 on the vehicle computer. Running 37"s with a 2.5" lift and a 52" curved light bar. Considerable weight in the back including my recovery gear and my winch that I have on a hitch plate to mount front or rear as needed. Also steel 17" wheels.

Sponsored

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
I just got back from a long weekend in Telluride, and I'm even more in love with this rig than ever! With the exception of a Warn Zeon 10s winch, Rock-Slide Engineering Step Sliders and an ARB twin compressor mounted under the passenger seat (what I considered to be minimum required trail gear) I'm still bone stock.

I cannot believe the responsiveness and POWER this engine provides. I averaged 28 mpg on the trip between Phoenix and Telluride holding 70 mph on the highway/open road. On my return trip, I filled up at Cortez, CO and made it home (426 miles) with 52 miles of range to spare . . . essentially realizing the advertised range of 500 miles per tank . . . and that included a 10-mile detour down Schnebly Hill Road in Sedona with portions in 4Lo. Passing on mountain grades is effortless.

While In Telluride, I completed Imogene, Black Bear and Ophir Pass trails . . . I couldn't be more pleased with this vehicle . . .

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

OP
OP
Compression-Ignition

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Winter mileage.

I think we've only lost about .5 to 1 mpg tops. Not bad. Hmmm, wait I take that back. With the winter weather I switched to 315/70r17's, and they are significantly lighter. Along with having less rolling resistance.

Apples to oranges kinda, but to me that means in actuality it probably would have lost 1.5-2 mpg on the 37's. So similar to what I've seen with my other diesels. For a minute there I was thinking this little 3.0L had the magic touch, as a .5 mpg loss in winter weather is abnormal in my experience.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
These engines really love 30+ mile runs to get good fuel economy. While using mine on our RV trip where most driving was around 20-50 miles at anywhere from 45-60 mph, I was getting around 28+ average. Now, being back home and only running 5-10 mile hops at the same speed, mileage has dropped to around 24. Stock 33" mud tires, two aftermarket steel bumpers, triple tube rock rails and winch with compressor and assorted gear. I'm sure the added weight didn't help the numbers at all. That said, I really didn't buy this for the fuel economy. TORQUE was the main selling point.

henry

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Firecracker Red
I have 4,700 miles on my diesel now. It’s my daily driver and I’m averaging 25 mpg. It‘s a daily 60 mile round trip mix of country roads, highway, and a couple of miles of gravel road. That plus some round trips over the Cascades here in Oregon. Half of my miles have been run using winterized diesel. I have a stock Rubicon. I’m happy with the mileage.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've (only) averaging 19 mpg since new. That's with 35s working against me, but also short trips, and a heavy foot. That said, it's fully 5-6 mpg better than my, similarly driven, previous 2-door JK on 35s - despite being at least 1,000 pounds heavier.

If I I have a drive that gets me partially on the highway, I'm in the mid-20s

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Haven't been able to go all highway until today with our 3.0, results were better than I'd hoped.

On stock tires at speeds up to 75-80 (more or less all highway), we saw 24.5-25.5 mpg's.

All in town stop and go on 37/13.5r17 Toyo MT's we have seen 17.5 (with a regen). And 19.5 with no regen.

Today we ran a basically all highway trip at 60-70 mph and eked out 25.86 mpg.

Maybe they won't all do this well. Maybe you don't think 25.86 mpg's is all that impressive. Maybe there will be some shortcoming that will show itself as the Achilles heel of the 3.0......

For now, there ain't nothing that could sway me away from this engine in a Wrangler!
I get about the same milage on the 3.6 .. actually on a highway with the manual I've made about 26 mpgs. I'm surprised 3.0 diesel doesn't get more... and am glad I forewent that option from what I see.

OP
OP
Compression-Ignition

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I get about the same milage on the 3.6 .. actually on a highway with the manual I've made about 26 mpgs. I'm surprised 3.0 diesel doesn't get more... and am glad I forewent that option from what I see.
On 37's? Or did you miss that part :movember:

Edit:
Just want to clarify here. I'm talking near 20 mpg in town on 37/13.5r17 heavy ass Toyo MT's with stock gearing. And 25.86 mpg on the highway going 60-70 on the 37's.

Pssh, I see you are on the flatlands in Florida to boot. I'm glad you're happy with your 3.6, and also way to go with your decision to stick with your fuel efficient powerhouse of an engine. Thanks for stopping by the diesel section :angel:

Last edited:

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
On 37's? Or did you miss that part :movember:

Edit:
Just want to clarify here. I'm talking near 20 mpg in town on 37/13.5r17 heavy ass Toyo MT's with stock gearing. And 25.86 mpg on the highway going 60-70 on the 37's.

Pssh, I see you are on the flatlands in Florida to boot. I'm glad you're happy with your 3.6, and also way to go with your decision to stick with your fuel efficient powerhouse of an engine. Thanks for stopping by the diesel section :angel:
Sponsored