Sponsored

Your 3.0L Diesel's MPG's, share with the class.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Driving around 110 miles per day and 90% highway I average 27 to 28 MPG. Also considering that I go from 6,000 feet elevation to sea level and back every day with a 2,500 foot gain on a windy mountain road in under 5 miles, this isn't bad. Driving the flats I get closer to 30 MPG. Jeep is stock Rubicon for now.
With that kind of elevation change I'll bet you appreciate the torque more than most.
Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
With that kind of elevation change I'll bet you appreciate the torque more than most.
The torque really helps. This is my second jeep diesel. I also have the 2016 GC. I lost milage when the "exhaust system upgrade" happened but with the second mod the jeep is doing better. When money permits I plan on lifting and putting on either 35 or 37 inch tires. Overall I am very happy with the diesel engine and jeep.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
I just got home and have wracked up 3500 miles on my diesel since I took delivery a week ago. When driving on non-interstate roads averaging 55-65 mph, I saw fuel mileage in the 26 mpg range. When on interstate where posted speed limits were 80 mph my mileage dropped to a disappointing 20-21 mpg, but that also included some serious head/crosswinds. The overall trip average was about 24 mpg.

I'm hoping things improve a bit, but some of my initial take-aways . . .

First, DEF usage is far higher than I thought it would be . . . I know it was completely topped off by my dealer (my very close cousin and his amazing crew) . . . I arrived home with the DEF tank at the one-quarter fill level.

Second, fuses were checked and most were found NOT to be completely seated, which actually surprised everyone at the dealership and they will now be checking this regularly.

Third, this engine is an ABSOLUTE JOY to drive . . . passing power at any speed is amazing with absolutely no drama of a whining engine or sudden/harsh transmission downshifts on uphill mountain interstate highways (I-70 between Denver and Grand Junction, CO; and I-17 between Flagstaff and Phoenix). This engine pulls like a freight train and accelerates from 60 to 80 mph almost as quickly as 2007 BMW 335i. Simply incredible.

It was all I could do to not take in a trail when driving through Moab this morning, but schedules dictated otherwise and I'm still bone stock. Now that I'm home, proper outfitting can now begin . . . after I replace the cracked windshield I picked up in Wisconsin.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 1984 CJ-7, 1999 XJ
I have about 3000 miles on mine and averaging 27mpg on equal highway/city driving.

I cross the Shenandoah Mountains a couple times between properties in MD and WV. The uphill climbs with the diesel is crazy. My Tacoma will kick up to 4000 rpm on same climbs and the JLUD is barely breaks 2000rpm.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
This is my trip B info after trip from LA, across N Texas (wind!), N Mexico and up to Silverton , CO for 8 days of wheeling. Great power, couldn’t be happier. It sucked down a lot of DEF though, I blame the interstate.

D2ABD55A-063C-4FBC-AE3C-0103D5478E54.jpeg

Sponsored

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I call it the way I see it. Instant torque with the 3.0 ecodiesel.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I call it the way I see it. Instant torque with the 3.0 ecodiesel.
Like I said, something is wrong with your 335. I had a 2008 E90 N54. More HP, 2000 lbs lighter than a diesel jeep and let's not even compare the aero. My 2 door 3.6 takes easily twice as long to go from 60-80 than my 335 did, and it's faster that the Ecodiesel.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not going to argue with you dude . . . I doubt the 3.6 could keep up with the ecodiesel up a >6% grade on the highway. I just crossed Colorado on I-70 and the turbo diesel was AMAZING. Had more than one JL try to keep up with me ascending the mountains.

Btw, I've had several nice cars over the years, and the '07 BMW 335i was amongst the nicest and was great in the mountains, and yes, it was better than this ecodiesel, but the ecodiesel has plenty of torque to accelerate from 60-80 with no drama (as in whining/screaming engine).

Go share your automotive "expertise" with someone else.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
is that with the wheelin? My family owns a house in silverton I love it there

This is my trip B info after trip from LA, across N Texas (wind!), N Mexico and up to Silverton , CO for 8 days of wheeling. Great power, couldn’t be happier. It sucked down a lot of DEF though, I blame the interstate.

Jeep Wrangler JL Your 3.0L Diesel's MPG's, share with the class. D2ABD55A-063C-4FBC-AE3C-0103D5478E54

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Imogene and Black Bear were my favorites.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I'm not going to argue with you dude . . . I doubt the 3.6 could keep up with the ecodiesel up a >6% grade on the highway. I just crossed Colorado on I-70 and the turbo diesel was AMAZING. Had more than one JL try to keep up with me ascending the mountains.

Btw, I've had several nice cars over the years, and the '07 BMW 335i was amongst the nicest and was great in the mountains, and yes, it was better than this ecodiesel, but the ecodiesel has plenty of torque to accelerate from 60-80 with no drama (as in whining/screaming engine).

Go share your automotive "expertise" with someone else.
No doubt the ED has "plenty of torque". But the ED has the lowest amount of power of any wrangler and weighs the most, and it's the slowest once past 1st gear speeds. The 3.6 would not only have kept of with you (on any grade), but is in fact faster. "faster" in quotes because JL'saren't fast, we are really discussing various degrees of slow. And none of them are remotely close to an E9x N54.

But yes, more rev "drama" with the gas engines.
Sponsored