You don't ALWAYS need to order for best deal - Colo Dealer

RTW Colorado

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
I have been on his forum for years now, getting ready to order a JLU. I meticulously studied the order guide each month, checked the national map of the dealers offering the best prices, done the calculations of going out of state to buy. I joined Tread Lightly and spent hours and hours on the Build and Price tool. I read the stories about how long it took to be delivered, and the "I am still in status XX!" panicked messages. Sound familiar?

Then I found a Jeep equipped almost exactly like I wanted at a small rural dealer about an hour away. I went in with my price (thanks to the order guide) and bought it at 6 % below invoice and was home with it two hours later. I wasted hundreds of hours doing all of the above. I now have the JL Sahara of my dreams in the driveway, love driving it everyday and got a $100 Tread Lightly t-shirt in the bargain.

YES the 2.0L Turbo is awesome and YES the Sky One Touch top is too! I have a garage ceiling mounted Jeep hardtop hoist for sale if anyone in Denver in interested!

Colorado folks - the John Elway dealer (yes, that John Elway) in Greeley is the place to go!
Sponsored

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
yup - certainly a propensity of some folks to over think things. Glad to see you are happy and enjoying your jeep!

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I have been on his forum for years now, getting ready to order a JLU. I meticulously studied the order guide each month, checked the national map of the dealers offering the best prices, done the calculations of going out of state to buy. I joined Tread Lightly and spent hours and hours on the Build and Price tool. I read the stories about how long it took to be delivered, and the "I am still in status XX!" panicked messages. Sound familiar?

Then I found a Jeep equipped almost exactly like I wanted at a small rural dealer about an hour away. I went in with my price (thanks to the order guide) and bought it at 6 % below invoice and was home with it two hours later. I wasted hundreds of hours doing all of the above. I now have the JL Sahara of my dreams in the driveway, love driving it everyday and got a $100 Tread Lightly t-shirt in the bargain.

YES the 2.0L Turbo is awesome and YES the Sky One Touch top is too! I have a garage ceiling mounted Jeep hardtop hoist for sale if anyone in Denver in interested!

Colorado folks - the John Elway dealer (yes, that John Elway) in Greeley is the place to go!
Congrats on the new addiction!

What hoist do you have? :movember:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Congrats Rick!
At least doing all that homework made it that much clearer to you that you indeed got a nice deal, And Tread Lightly is a good place to donate to, so there's that :)
Too bad Elway has been so poor as a GM and much better as a QB and Auto Dealer :)

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Congrats on the Jeep.

I’m set on exactly the build I want and unfortunately I haven’t found anything close even scouring the inventory tool for zips from the east coast to the Midwest.

I’d be super happy to buy local but the MSRP for my build is 55k and local dealers are going about 52-53k. None will play ball below that and I’ve talked to 4 of them. 8% dealers are going 47k. That’s a big diff but unfortunately I’m not getting a straight answer on my trade in. Thankfully this is a toy car so I’m in zero hurry.
The search continues.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I've always heard it was the opposite - that you'll get a better deal buying off the lot than you will ordering. If you buy off the lot, you can find a dealer trying to meet a quota, and you can find dealers that have extra 2018s laying around, or whatever else. There's more chances you'll get lucky.

If you can find your desired color + options on the lot and get the deal you want, fantastic! congrats to you! I'm thrilled that was the case :D

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara with Power Top
Congrats - for me it worked out the other way. I tried buying several that I could find on dealer lots (close enough to what I wanted) but saved over $1,500 ordering a new one (actually $2,000 since they gave me more for my trade and more off on the JEEP) and got it EXACTLY equipped how I wanted - I think like yours (blue, sky one, etc) plus it is a 2020 vs a 2019. I think if people try both ways it will vary on which one is better (for them). I ordered 10/8 and it is being delivered to me at my office today.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing here surprises me. It’s a 2019 where the 2020’s are starting to roll out. Elway in Greeley has a decent reputation from what I’ve seen. They’re definitely on my list of places to try when the diesel JT comes out.

OP
OP
RTW Colorado

RTW Colorado

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Congrats on the new addiction!

What hoist do you have? :movember:
Heres the one I have.
Hey thanks - the hoist is this one: Item: 12020 1030 14
Lange Originals® 014-SIM Hoist-A-Top Simple Jeep CJ & Wrangler
$149.99 each

Got it at Quadratec. Looking to get $100.

OP
OP
RTW Colorado

RTW Colorado

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Congrats Rick!
At least doing all that homework made it that much clearer to you that you indeed got a nice deal, And Tread Lightly is a good place to donate to, so there's that :)
Too bad Elway has been so poor as a GM and much better as a QB and Auto Dealer :)
Yeah its my view Elway has gotta go. But he can keep his dealerships!

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Heres the one I have.
Hey thanks - the hoist is this one: Item: 12020 1030 14
Lange Originals® 014-SIM Hoist-A-Top Simple Jeep CJ & Wrangler
$149.99 each

Got it at Quadratec. Looking to get $100.
I currently have the Harken:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/harken-hoister-garage-storage-jeep-yj-tj-jk-jl-7803.JEEP

The problem is that I have a tandem garage and use the forward half for my work area. So no crank from the front but from the side.

The Harken is setup to side load but I had to angle the ropes along the side wall. Not ideal and I'm looking to move to a hand crank like that one but with a bit more solid hold on the top. Maybe like this one?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/lange-originals/crank-hoist-top-jeep-wrangler-jl

OP
OP
RTW Colorado

RTW Colorado

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
I currently have the Harken:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/harken-hoister-garage-storage-jeep-yj-tj-jk-jl-7803.JEEP

The problem is that I have a tandem garage and use the forward half for my work area. So no crank from the front but from the side.

The Harken is setup to side load but I had to angle the ropes along the side wall. Not ideal and I'm looking to move to a hand crank like that one but with a bit more solid hold on the top. Maybe like this one?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/lange-originals/crank-hoist-top-jeep-wrangler-jl
Yes I have mine side loading as well, works that way too
Sponsored