You Decide For Me!

For someone who drives 25k+ miles/year. 75% highway/Backroads 25% City

• Total voters

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
I drive near or over 25k miles/year. 75% highway/backroads 25% city. Do you think a manual would be too much of a you know what* that much driving or not a problem. Try and vote as if it were you in this situation, as everyone's different.
Sponsored

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Like me I'm going auto. Also, for a commuter which are you going with turbo or 6?

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Would agree with cofefe if your commute involves stop and go traffic go automatic. Plus the 8 speed at least in the Ram is a pretty smooth shifting transmission. Some folks are concerned about the sealed nature of it myself included but from how it works in our Ram truck it seems to be pretty good.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Would agree with cofefe if your commute involves stop and go traffic go automatic. Plus the 8 speed at least in the Ram is a pretty smooth shifting transmission. Some folks are concerned about the sealed nature of it myself included but from how it works in our Ram truck it seems to be pretty good.
Thanks. Could you elaborate on the "sealed nature of it" , that sounds interesting.

OP
OP

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Real question is what % of that is TRAFFIC?
I'd go auto if you're in traffic a lot
It's heavy traffic in the city. Almost non-existent for the rest of my travels. I keep going back and forth with it tbh

OP
OP

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Like me I'm going auto. Also, for a commuter which are you going with turbo or 6?
I'm leaning 6 if only because the pentastar has proven itself. Looks like the people have spoken. Auto it is...Until I change my mind again next week lol

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
It's heavy traffic in the city. Almost non-existent for the rest of my travels. I keep going back and forth with it tbh
I rented a Dodge Durango when I was there with the 3.6 and 8 speed and was impressed how well it handled traffic when I was commuting around Boise and on the Interstate. Would not hesitate one bit on the 8 speed

Sponsored

OP
OP

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
I rented a Dodge Durango when I was there with the 3.6 and 8 speed and was impressed how well it handled traffic when I was commuting around Boise and on the Interstate. Would not hesitate one bit on the 8 speed
Thanks brother. I've had good experiences with the pentastar but haven't had a go at the 8 speed. I like that the durango and GC have the 8 speed already. good way for FCA to work out any kinks

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
I think the 8 speed auto is a perfect match on a Wrangler. Better off-the-line acceleration and lower highway cruising RPMs in one package. Still, I'd get a manual no matter what cause that's just what I like. I think the same goes for most people choosing a manual. I don't think it's better, it's just more engaging. It's really a matter of personal preference which says a lot about how good the new auto is that I can't even make any excuses against it.

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I drive near or over 25k miles/year. 75% highway/backroads 25% city. Do you think a manual would be too much of a you know what* that much driving or not a problem. Try and vote as if it were you in this situation, as everyone's different.
I would say that is damn near my exact driving situation. I have only ever owned manuals, and plan to keep it that way. Currently in a 2016 JKUR with the old-school clunky manual, looking forward to the JLUR with the improved manual!

Real question is what % of that is TRAFFIC?
I'd go auto if you're in traffic a lot
I've never felt that way. I'm stuck in the pretty rough traffic of a Philly Suburb (422 in/out of KoP for those familiar with the area) every day, and I have no complaints in my JKUR. My motorcycle on the other hand, I do not like being stuck in traffic while riding, my left hand cramps up on a bad day!

I'm leaning 6 if only because the pentastar has proven itself. Looks like the people have spoken. Auto it is...Until I change my mind again next week lol
I'm gonna try to bring you back to the dark side! If you've driven manuals before, I'm sure you're familiar with what it's like to drive in traffic, it really isn't bad. The only time it's truly a nuisance is after some sort of event (game, concert, etc.) when you're in true Bumper-to-Bumper traffic for a few miles, or if you're stuck in the heart of the worst city traffic in the US, LA, which I don't see Idaho having near as bad of traffic.

My manual JKUR is no issue in traffic, so I have no doubt the manual JLUR will only make it easier!

*avoid the bike unless lane splitting is legal in your state*

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Mine will be my daily driver as well and I hit rush hour on the way in and out of work....stop and go for several miles. I'm currently driving a manual that I'm borrowing until my JL will be ready (my car was totaled). I love driving a manual but I'm ready to quit again with all my stop and go traffic.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Manual!

I sit in traffic all the time here in Hampton Roads...manual doesnt bother me, and I prefer a manual on the trails especially when hanging off rocks. Manual for me is a no brainer regardless of traffic because the benefit of it in ALL other circumstances outweighs the single negative of traffic that most people list (strictly my opinion). Now when people talk about "traffic" there is a varying definition there....if I lived in downtown NY I probably wouldnt be buying a manual Jeep as a daily anyways, I would have some automatic 'beater' as my commuter and save the Jeep for the non-work hours.

Automatics are unpredictable, and in cases can be unreliable far faster than a manual counterpart. The fact that the Jeep transmission is the same as the Ram truck should already be flagging people. Rams from way back in the earlier Dodge days arent exactly known for longevity!
Sponsored