JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Hay guys I was looking on the Jeep website and it appears they are offering the 3.6 without eTorque again, Is this new or have I been under a rock?

What I did notice is that it is not available for Rubicon models or the Sahara with the Selec-Trac.

1631289309687.png
The non-etorque V6 engine is available with the manual trans. I did hear from a couple of people on JL forums that they were able to order this engine with the auto trans through their dealers. But website won't give you that option.
Advertisement

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
So I watched all the advertisements from early 2018 that I could find on YouTube (Google), and none made any power claims. I googled a bunch of different things, including many variations of 365 lb-ft of torque (that would be 295 + 70). Looked at the original press briefing. Searched for print adds. Even watched the official reveal on 11/29/17 which states "equipped with our eTorque technology, which enables greater low-end torque for better launch performance".

What else do you suggest? I would really like to find this elusive propaganda.
Sometimes, people get lost in semantics and language. I saw the RAM with eTorque video and I couldn't see anything controversial there. The chief engineer does say that the system provides 130 in the V8 RAM or 90ftlbs of torque in the V6 in the initial rollout while the engine is restarting. So this is a very brief period of time so the electric motor is only providing power for literally a few feet then the engine takes over. I felt that when I drove the Wrangler with eTorque. But I drove it on a flat street and I didn't feel the regenerative braking aspect. That would be nice on canyon roads or driving downhill from the mountains.

Jeff79

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - Snazzberry w/Xtreme Recon pckg
Occupation
Computer stuff
I love my E-torque so far. My 2021 Rubicon 2Dr is getting 22-23 mpg and it straight up quick! This little Jeep MOVES!
When I placed my factory order for a JLUR in early August 2021, etorque was required with the 3.6L automatic. At first, I wasn't real happy about that. I didn't like the idea of paying extra money for something else that can potentially break in the future.

I know many people dislike ESS and end up turning it off. Where I live, we have lots of traffic lights with with wait times of 2-3 minutes, so I actually benefit from and like ESS in my 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. The one thing that I don't like is the delay to restart when I need to go quickly. In left turn situations (when I need instant power) I disable ESS.

I was amazed at how quick the ESS restart was with Etouque. It was super fast. Etourque makes the ESS restart seem as if the engine had never shut off.

Advertisement

Done Right LED

Advertisement