Sponsored

Yikes..! Quadratech door entry guards flawed (how to get them off)

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Installed the Quadratech door entry guards yesterday. The have been on back order since June and I was eager to get them on to add some protection for the otherwise fully exposed door sills that are just waiting to be scratched up. Got them on and they look awesome. Then, I was sitting inside and noticed a speck of light coming into the cabin, precisely from where the guards have been installed. No wonder people were complaining about water getting into the cabin after driving in the rain. So these things have got to come off and go back to Quadratech asap. Can anyone tell me if it is safe to just pull them off. Will this approach take the paint with it. I know they are using 3M adhesive tape, which is some pretty strong stuff. Why would Quadratech continue to produce and sell something that is obviously flawed. Seriously pissed about this. :mad::angry:

MVIMG_20190814_193659.jpg
Sponsored

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Use a blow dryer to heat up the adhesive before lifting them. If you can peel back a corner, sliding some dental floss or fishing line can help get them off.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
A piece of coaxial tape placed in front of the guard will afford an excellent seal in that area. The OEM weather stripping will conform to it and seal properly.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
If you just put them on, they should come off fairly easy. Otherwise use some fishing line to cut the adhesive underneath the guards. A hair dryer or heat gun will help too.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Rugged Ridge.......I actually bought both brands and I felt the RR ones provided better coverage. No sealing issue either.

IMG_20190815_115247.jpg

IMG_20190815_115258.jpg

IMG_20190815_115305.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I like those.. they seem to stretch forever

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Use WD-40 to remove adhesive material.

STG01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
Installed the Quadratech door entry guards yesterday. The have been on back order since June and I was eager to get them on to add some protection for the otherwise fully exposed door sills that are just waiting to be scratched up. Got them on and they look awesome. Then, I was sitting inside and noticed a speck of light coming into the cabin, precisely from where the guards have been installed. No wonder people were complaining about water getting into the cabin after driving in the rain. So these things have got to come off and go back to Quadratech asap. Can anyone tell me if it is safe to just pull them off. Will this approach take the paint with it. I know they are using 3M adhesive tape, which is some pretty strong stuff. Why would Quadratech continue to produce and sell something that is obviously flawed. Seriously pissed about this. :mad::angry:

MVIMG_20190814_193659.jpg

I just installed the same ones. Put them on in the EXACT spot and measurement they provide. Get that same damm light coming through like yours on BOTH front doors . Very irritating.

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I used coax seal where the light was coming in and have had no leaks since. Also peanut butter is great for removing adhesive. Just rub it on and let it sit for a while then rub it off.

STG01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
Why can’t they just make them a bit shorter on each end on the upper lip? So bizarre.

So I have to settle for something that says Rugged Ridge? Why can’t we just get some plain ones without any goofy name??

Sponsored

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The Coax approach sounds good if this was a 10 year old vehicle. My JL is not even a month old, so sticking tape on it to fix someone else's mistakes just does not sit right with a brand new nearly $50k vehicle.

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Had the same issue with both sets of my Quadratec sill guards. I just trimmed the passenger side a bit in the front and the light went away. Being in the desert it doesn't rain much so can't attest to sealing on that level but in the back, dust seems to get in around the sill guards. RRRR.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Supposedly, @Quadratec redesigned them, but I bought a set about two weeks ago and it is the same problem on my 2019 JLUR. I had to submit photos for them to believe it was an issue and there is no fix (nor is one planned). I **could** fix it by trimming the front edge of the sill on the front doors, but the back ones "leak" too. We drove on the beach last weekend with the doors and windows closed and I had sand on the edge of the rear floorboards. I will be removing them and returning them and looking at others. My advice is that for a 2018+JL, not to buy the Quadratec door sill guards--they are a faulty design for these models, perhaps due to a potential gasket change by Jeep that Quadratec did not realize..

Damned shame that Jeep does not have something installed on these from the factory--makes no sense.

Party Marty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0
I just bought the front, rear, and cargo mats from Quadratec and with a Black Friday (or previously listed) promotion they are throwing in the entry guards. Has anyone dealt with these things in the three months since the last post? Hoping beyond hope they’ve made some slight alterations to remedy this issue. Either that, or maybe there’s a reason they’re giving them away. ‍

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
I just bought the front, rear, and cargo mats from Quadratec and with a Black Friday (or previously listed) promotion they are throwing in the entry guards. Has anyone dealt with these things in the three months since the last post? Hoping beyond hope they’ve made some slight alterations to remedy this issue. Either that, or maybe there’s a reason they’re giving them away. ‍
I did the same thing thinking I had a fair deal. If these are leakers.....that will piss me off a bit. What say you Quadratec?
Sponsored