Yeti cooler for my 2 door.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I am finally getting a little time off work soon to go home; been out and about all over the country for about 2 months now. I ordered a few little things for my Jeep and now really want a very nice overpriced cooler. Don't want any other brand, I want to burn some money on this overprice status symbol to go with my lifestyle vehicle because I can.

So what's the biggest Yeti cooler I can fit back there with the seats in place? I don't have the Jeep with me and haven't been in it that much, so not super familiar with it.

Thanks.
Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
With the back seats up, you'll be hard pressed to get anything with any reasonable capacity in there. I struggle to get a couple of bags of groceries in plus a couple of gallons of milk. With the back seats folded forward, you can get pretty much any decent sized one in, even more with the back seat out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SH556JL

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
With the back seats up, you'll be hard pressed to get anything with any reasonable capacity in there. I struggle to get a couple of bags of groceries in plus a couple of gallons of milk. With the back seats folded forward, you can get pretty much any decent sized one in, even more with the back seat out. I struggle to get a couple of bags of groceries and 2 gallons of milk in mine with the seat up.
I'm really just look for a small one for day to day stuff. Keep a couple of sandwiches and drinks so as not to be tempted by fast food. Anything bigger say 3-4 nights or longer. I will later look into a small fridge and would take the rear seat out.

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
With the back seat in.place and upright, you won't fit any size hard sided cooler.
The space available in that scenario will hold a standard milk crate for reference.

RusM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
My only advise is to get a lifetime cooler that will fit and save the money for a more important mod. I've done a couple tests and the lifetime beats the yeti for 1/3 the price.... Myself and several friends have switched to LifeTime after direct comparison with yeti in the same conditions and the lifetime held ice better..... The real baller move is a fridge thought for the price of a yeti you're real close to a fridge!

Sponsored

OP
OP
SH556JL

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I found some dimensions of the JL with the seat up. It looks like the smallest hard sided Yeti Road 24 won't fit as the top of the lid is 14" deep at it widest point (front to back). The top of the JL's tailgate is apparently 10 inches to back of the seat and gets deeper to its full depth of 16" at the floor. If I really insist on a Yeti, the Hopper Flip 12 will be the biggest at 10" in depth both top and bottom (so should fit, even as it gets narrower towards the top). A tight squeeze, I maybe able to do the Hopper 18 at 10 3/4" assume there's some possible compression with the soft sided cooler and the back of the seat.

Not sure why my thread was moved from general to off-road tech, seems very out of place...

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Agree with RusM, so unless you are into now paying for an overpriced cooler just for the name that’s up to you! However you can buy the Lifetime coolers even at Walmart that are BETTER then Yeti period! So do the world a favor buy the Lifetime cooler and then donate the difference in price from the Yeti to a worthwhile Charity in your community it will make you feel better about yourself!! So many people that are in need just seems to be such a waste to pay for the advertising on an overpriced Yeti cooler but hey maybe that’s just My selfish thoughts!

OP
OP
SH556JL

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Agree with RusM, so unless you are into now paying for an overpriced cooler just for the name that’s up to you! However you can buy the Lifetime coolers even at Walmart that are BETTER then Yeti period! So do the world a favor buy the Lifetime cooler and then donate the difference in price from the Yeti to a worthwhile Charity in your community it will make you feel better about yourself!! So many people that are in need just seems to be such a waste to pay for the advertising on an overpriced Yeti cooler but hey maybe that’s just My selfish thoughts!
I am actually on the board of directors for a local non profit. So I feel pretty comfortable with my charitable contributions and volunteering efforts.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Good to hear for sure but seriously the Lifetime coolers completely beat most of the high end coolers out there and beat Yeti every time!, I did quite a bit of research when looking for a cooler and it’s a no brainer Lifetime all the way check out some YouTube comparisons also!!

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero

echo17

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
I run a Yeti Hopper in combination with an electric fridge. I love my Hopper. If tight for space and only using it for a day or three, should check it out. Very well built, looks good and can just toss anywhere without having to worry about it in the trunk. just keep in mind that what ever size you get, the volume is like half that as you'll be using ice for the other half.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If you roll the rear seats forward, you can fit a fairly decent sized cooler. My Yeti 45 fits precisely into that spot when oriented front to back.

With the rear seat in place, though? You're not going to fit a hard cooler behind it. And even if you can squish one in there, I'd recommend against it. On my JK, I rubbed big sections of paint off on the inside of the tailgate by having things so tightly packed in that small space on a daily basis. Even the softer recovery bags I had back there eventually contributed to paint loss. I'm taking the lesson from there and being more careful on my new JL.

If you're willing to put it behind one of the front seats on the floor, you can probably fit a small Roadie in there, though. But at that price, for a cooler you're only using for lunch and not trying to keep cold on long camping trips? Just get a cheap igloo or similar. Thinner walls make it easier to find space for, while still keeping capacity. Save the overpriced cooler money for a larger model where the extra features are actually needed.

if it's purely an image thing (to each their own), Yeti tumblers and other drinkware are are still overpriced and will fit much easier in your Jeep. And are more visible than a cooler wedged into some hidden spot.

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
I prefer soft-side coolers for ease of carry for small trips. We had a few different ones that always sweated or leaked. But I bought the original YETI Hopper 20 (now discontinued for the 30)at Costco years ago and it's been perfect. They were discounted to make room for the 2.0 version that had minor revisions. I know many think they are overpriced but it's been perfect for us and I would buy it again. It fits perfectly in the back of the jeep too.

OP
OP
SH556JL

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I am leaning towards one of the Yeti Hoppers, 12 or 18... I was going to order online. But think I will wait to I get home and purchase something local, in person.
Sponsored