Yet another way for the JL to leave you stranded

IPSCOJL

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018SRT
Went 4 wheeling yesterday and had my JL fail again, after crawling up the trail for about 40 minutes, we had to pull over to let a group of jeeps coming back down the trail go by. Got in to start the jeep and nothing, kept retrying to start the jeep and got a message STARTER over load need to wait 30 seconds before retrying. Waited serval times but it was not going to start. In this state I could not move the shifter from Park, had to shift the Transfer Case into neutral to move the Jeep back enough to let another Jeep in our group get out. So, like all computers I had to give it a restart by disconnecting the battery to reset everything. I will note it was very hot under the hood which I’m sure heat soaked everything – still no excuse for not working correctly. After I disconnected the battery for 2-3 minutes and re-connected the Jeep started up like nothing was ever wrong. Keep on going for another hour to have lunch and shut thing off for about a half hour. Jeep restarted just fine, drove back out to a spot to air backup. Shut off the Jeep and guess what, Jeep would not start again only this time a message something like Service 4-wheel system message pop up for about 3 seconds. Once again, I disconnected the battery to reset all the computers in the Jeep and we where on our way. This Jeep seem to have a lot of software problems and is proving to be very unreliable. So, if you ever get stuck where the jeep will not start, try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes and hopefully you can get back on the road. I for one have ZERO faith in this Jeep at this time and know when I take it into the dealership they are going to say CAN NOT REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM, maybe someday they will get someone that can think and work on these jeeps.
Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I believe FCA can provide a device that records events. You’d think the computer would already do that.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Just from reading-----

You can't disconnect JUST THE PRIMARY POSITIVE LEAD--

Because of TWO batteries--in parallel, you have to disconnect both primary POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE-

Whatever

JIMBO

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Damn kiddie engineers that Jeep is hiring think that they can all a bunch of whiz-bang features and it not affect other things. This is what you get when you have engineers that grew up in the Microsoft days -- when in doubt, reboot... :(

OP
OP

IPSCOJL

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018SRT
Just from reading-----

You can't disconnect JUST THE PRIMARY POSITIVE LEAD--

Because of TWO batteries--in parallel, you have to disconnect both primary POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE-

Whatever

JIMBO
all you need to do is remove just the POS main terminal from the battery and that will cause a reboot to the Jeep. Worked all three times I've had an issues with this jeep, twice for not starting and once for it stuck in 8th gear and would not shift.

Sponsored

OP
OP

IPSCOJL

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018SRT
I believe FCA can provide a device that records events. You’d think the computer would already do that.
I have not tried to read the error log yet to see if it left some clues, maybe later today. The last time when the Jeep gave me a service light and was stuck in 8th gears and would not shift it did not record any errors. Just soppy code writing by the software engineers.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
I'm glad it worked for you !

Whatever

JIMBO
all you need to do is remove just the POS main terminal from the battery and that will cause a reboot to the Jeep. Worked all three times I've had an issues with this jeep, twice for not starting and once for it stuck in 8th gear and would not shift.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
So...it looks like I am going to have to install shut-off switches on both the positive and negative posts. I hate to have to pull battery clamps.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Heh Heh, I'd like to see that !

whatever

JIMBO
So...it looks like I am going to have to install shut-off switches on both the positive and negative posts. I hate to have to pull battery clamps.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Don't forget--any switch wired like that has to be able to conduct AT LEAST 40 AMPS at various times--

Position/mounting/switching--etc

Whatever

JIMBO

Reactions: VNT

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe they need to wire it into the aux switch.

We can have the first generation Jeep to come with a reboot button.

“This wrangler: powered by windows.”
You know if you use a big enough amp silenoid you may actually get away with this but it would create havoc with the start system.

I wonder if they build a breaker system that would allow you to do a power disconnect through the push button!

They do sell the battery cable disconnects which would accomplish the same thing without needing tools!

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
OP, have you checked to make sure all of the fuses and relays are fully seated in the fuse box? Seems to be a common source of many electrical issues on the JLs.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
You know if you use a big enough amp silenoid you may actually get away with this but it would create havoc with the start system.

I wonder if they build a breaker system that would allow you to do a power disconnect through the push button!

They do sell the battery cable disconnects which would accomplish the same thing without needing tools!
Agreed, battery kill switches are mandatory on drag race cars. Probably the safest easy solution.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I use to remove a fuse to keep my car from starting. Home made anti-theft we had back in the day. Could one be faulty and disconnecting the battery reingages this fuse? I know nothing about electrical systems but another mention fuse issues.
Sponsored