Sponsored

Yet another rattle

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
My 21 JLUR (3.6L, Auto) with only 1k miles has had this rattle since maybe few hundred miles in. It happens sporadically and I cannot reproduce it at will. When it happens I'm usually going faster than 50 mph. Acceleration / deceleration doesn't seem to make any difference. Road condition doesn't seem matter much, it can be heard on smooth roads.

Here's an mp3 file of the rattle.

Best I could tell it's coming from behind the dash, and down below.

I've casually looked under the body and could not spot anything obviously loose / rattling.

I know this isn't from the sun visor as I've put in some silicon dots on the little rubber bumpers, and visor position doesn't stop this rattling.

Any ideas or suggestions?

TIA
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Well, that audio clip makes no sense at all. I suggest turning up your music.

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
My 21 JLUR (3.6L, Auto) with only 1k miles has had this rattle since maybe few hundred miles in. It happens sporadically and I cannot reproduce it at will. When it happens I'm usually going faster than 50 mph. Acceleration / deceleration doesn't seem to make any difference. Road condition doesn't seem matter much, it can be heard on smooth roads.

I've casually looked under the body and could not spot anything obviously loose / rattling.

I know this isn't from the sun visor as I've put in some silicon dots on the little rubber bumpers, and visor position doesn't stop this rattling.

TIA
get an exorcist

exorcist-gif-17.gif

OP
OP
rent

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Well, that audio clip makes no sense at all. I suggest turning up your music.
It's more noticeable than how it appears in the clip. I could still hear the rattling with music blasting and bass thumping.

OP
OP
rent

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Quick follow-up on this issue. I think I've fixed it with one of the following.

* Zip tied coolant reservoir to its bracket. I read this in another thread on rattling noise. While mine does not appear to be excessively loose, I figured might as well try it.

* Padded the plastic arm that holds the glove box. It's fairly loose where it rotates so just jammed a thin piece of sticky backed furniture pad there.

I suspect coolant reservoir is the real culprit, but I'm too lazy to undo one of the fixes to verify, lol.

*fingers crossed*

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

TIA
Same here, it sounds like an old hard-drive that's about to fail.
Comes from the behind the glove-box.
I can hear this noise after I turn off the vehicle and it lingers for about 2-3 minutes.
I've noticed this noise ever since my 12v battery crapped out on me once and I had to put it on a battery tender.

[UPDATE]
Found the problem - it's the blend door actuator behind the passenger glove box

Here is the video of my blend door actuator going crazy and making clicking noise after turning off the Jeep.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rent

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Another follow up to the rattling noise issue I observed. I've finally nailed it! And it was a relief to know that it's not something from the engine compartment or any of the drive train components.

It's also not the coolant reservoir or the glove compartment door as noted earlier.

It turns out to be the adaptive cruise control sensor box - the one on the wind shield, behind the rearview mirror. The lower plastic panel of this box makes a clicking / ticking noise at certain speeds/vibrations. The noise can be reliably reproduced by slightly pushing down on this plastic piece (there is a cavity behind the rearview mirror stem where you can put your finger in to push down on the lower plastic panel).

I have yet to devise a permanent fix, but firmly pushing the plastic piece upward seems to have mostly mitigated the issue. I think putting a piece of foam in there should fix it up nicely.

Hope this helps someone out there who also has had this very annoying problem.
Sponsored