Sponsored

Yet another dealer trying to price gouge.

dave2002ti

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 WK2
So how do you negotiate with a dealer who thinks they can ask any price want above MSRP? Any secrets to negotiating with a dealer who seems to hold all the cards?
Join Tread Lightly at the appropriate mebership level and you get 1% under invoice not MSRP on any Jeep. Includes Factory orders. Dave
Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
So, two things.
1. The $9995.00 adjustment is over 10% of value. Isnā€™t that ā€œprofiteeringā€?

2. While at the dealer I overheard a snippet of a financing conversation. He was talking to a young couple, like early 20ā€™s.
ā€œThat would be the payment on 96 month financing.ā€
Can't afford the car? Just tack another year on the loan until you're in debt up to your eyeballs for the rest of eternity. I thought 84 month loans were ludicrous...

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Weā€™ll see. Iā€™m picking it up on Saturday. It took almost 16 weeks to come in. What did you order?
I ordered a Rubicon 392. Says itll be shipped 8/26. I'm thinking more mid September, either way its a trip to PA for me.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
COVID made a lot of people feel like they'd like the outdoors and adventure. Camping rigs are super expensive right now. A lot of these people will discover how much they dislike camping and a lot of Jeeps and camping rigs are going to be super cheap.
COVID required a reordering of how vacations occur. Any number of venues -- beach hotels, State parks, etc. -- were eventually closed during Summer 2020 as the virus of debatable origin was at high tide. Coincidentally, my reservations for a beach hotel, and a camping weekend at a State park, were both withdrawn because of ever-stricter social distancing rules.

With the foregoing in mind, a lot of folks made the rational decision to vacation with just their immediate families in proximity. RVs and the like accommodate this preference very well, and became hot commodities overnight. This is what drove the sales trends, not a sudden discovery of the outdoors (our local KOA campground hardly qualifies as that, and it's been stuffed to the gills for months now.) Only recently did a local travel trailer dealer, who specializes in expensive 5th wheels, restore their lot inventory to pre-virus levels.

How can we embrace capitalism and not support their right to adjust pricing?

If a dealer charging over MSRP is considered gouging, what do you call the purchasers who are paying 10% below MSRP? willingly paying X thousand dollars over MSRP to buy their vehicles?
Fixed it for you. ;)

"Market Adjustment"? I think price gouging is the correct term.
There is no universal standard as to what constitutes price gouging. No less an authority than Harvard Business School maps out the debate.

Sponsored

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I ordered a Rubicon 392. Says itll be shipped 8/26. I'm thinking more mid September, either way its a trip to PA for me.
Hey, that trip is okay with all the savings you are receiving. Thereā€˜s a Chapman Jeep here in Scottsdale and they were jerks just like all of the other Valley dealerships.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, that trip is okay with all the savings you are receiving. Thereā€˜s a Chapman Jeep here in Scottsdale and they were jerks just like all of the other Valley dealerships.
This Chapman made a post on here (% under invoice) and was cautious at first but seeing how it was the owner that was posting about it, made it more tempting vs a sales guy saying yes and then the GM playing games with you, been there done that.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Thereā€˜s a Chapman Jeep here in Scottsdale and they were jerks just like all of the other Valley dealerships.
Chapman Jeep is the Valley's Costco partner (2% below invoice last time I checked). I passed on them because I was able to get 5% below from Earnhardt Jeep, but in today's supply/demand environment that deal is likely not available.

Taking the Costco approach may be less stressful for those forum members who don't like to negotiate. Not everyone does.

[the only local dealership that I've found to be consistently challenging is Airpark Jeep.]

Last edited:

Erranickus

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 TJ (sold), '21 JL Willys Sport
Occupation
USAF Retired
My closest dealer has been doing this ever since I had my JLs. This was taken a year ago:
IMG_2361-X4.jpg

Insane.
I guess some people might think its better to pay a little more and have it today, and not have to wait over 4 months like me. Just got the escalation case # last week at 100+ days and I got a ship date over a month from now, which will put it at almost 5 months... and I am just ordering a 2dr Willys Sport with AC, soft top and 3.6 MT

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Chapman Jeep is the Valley's Costco partner (2% below invoice last time I checked). I passed on them because I was able to get 5% below from Earnhardt Jeep, but in today's supply/demand environment that deal in likely not available.

Taking the Costco approach may be less stressful for those forum members who don't like to negotiate. Not everyone does.

[the only local dealership that I've found to be consistently challenging is Airpark Jeep.]
For me it was every single one (only one with MSRP) but the one with MSRP showed me another customers build that had FWP and MSRP columns and was telling me that the other person paid MSRP. in my head I knew that was BS, why would you show a customer FWP and MSRP and charge them MSRP. Very thankful for Tom posting on the forums about the deal for ordering with them.

Sponsored

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I guess some people might think its better to pay a little more and have it today, and not have to wait over 4 months like me. Just got the escalation case # last week at 100+ days and I got a ship date over a month from now, which will put it at almost 5 months... and I am just ordering a 2dr Willys Sport with AC, soft top and 3.6 MT
I hate waiting but if it means saving 11.5% off MSRP for an already expensive rig. I will just have to learn to have patience.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Chapman Jeep is the Valley's Costco partner (2% below invoice last time I checked). I passed on them because I was able to get 5% below from Earnhardt Jeep, but in today's supply/demand environment that deal in likely not available.

Airpark is terrible for sales, however I do like their service department.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Not gouging when people are paying. Blame the people willing to spend like drunken sailors not the dealers. Capitalism at work.
This. Unfortunately, with 1 angry customer walking out, there will be 2 more come in within a week willing to pay "sticker" price. Especially at a high volume dealership.

Big Bear

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK
Just because you can get away with it ...

It's still price gouging
Sponsored