Yes this happened in NY today

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
FWIW, it's refreshing to see a front end unencumbered by a clunky aftermarket bumper and a shit show of mismatched LED lighting.

Or perhaps this photo was taken before the modification process was complete?
Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I recently became bored with the way my Jeep looked. Big lift and tires are OK, but control arms and track bars do nothing for my lack of a personality. Since I need my Jeep to express me, I spent the weekend doing a massive overall.

Looks 🔥, don't it?

FB_IMG_1616165761603.jpg
Its mean mugging you because it doesn’t have 42 KC lights!!

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I recently became bored with the way my Jeep looked. Big lift and tires are OK, but control arms and track bars do nothing for my lack of a personality. Since I need my Jeep to express me, I spent the weekend doing a massive overall.

Looks 🔥, don't it?

FB_IMG_1616165761603.jpg
Mike: this isn't my vision but I still can vicariously see it as awesome because I'll bet the changes so well encapsulate your vision.

And that's all that matters.

You didn't stray from the rig's roots, in fact you showcased them in making one "determined looking, go anywhere do anything" rig that does so in style. And you didn't make the rig dangerous for use.

And for that I commend you! :)

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, it's refreshing to see a front end unencumbered by a clunky aftermarket bumper and a shit show of mismatched LED lighting.

Or perhaps this photo was taken before the modification process was complete?
Its mean mugging you because it doesn’t have 42 KC lights!!
Oh yeah, I'm definitely not done. I found a great deal on some quality lighting from a guy on Amazon. He gives them great reviews. 5 light bars for the front and 2 for the back, all for $450. Don't worry though, I'll get my worth out of them by always driving around with them on. I feel sorry for all the suckers that can't be me. 🔥

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Mike: this isn't my vision but I still can vicariously see it as awesome because I'll bet the changes so well encapsulate your vision.

And that's all that matters.

You didn't stray from the rig's roots, in fact you showcased them in making one "determined looking, go anywhere do anything" rig that does so in style. And you didn't make the rig dangerous for use.

And for that I commend you! :)
Hell yeah, my rig will run anything! And I don't even have to worry about rubbing the tire shine off my tires, because the rims are protecting them. 🔥

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Oh yeah, I'm definitely not done. I found a great deal on some quality lighting from a guy on Amazon. He gives them great reviews. 5 light bars for the front and 2 for the back, all for $450. Don't worry though, I'll get my worth out of them by always driving around with them on. I feel sorry for all the suckers that can't be me. 🔥
Enjoy yourself sir. We always knew, but COVID has certainly focused are ability to see, that life is precious and fragile, and that balance comes from saving for tomorrow AND spending for today. :)

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Haha it’s going to be light a beacon of style and grace.. glorious ride brother!!

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
You know; we can always find some humor in poking fun at the other guy's taste in decorative mods. I do it myself ...and, whoa boy, they're so often of no value beyond decoration.

But, at the end of the day, we all have to come back to Earth and refocus on the common bonds that link us all together in our emotional obsession with these less than practical vehicles. Are our fuses properly seated? Is there a crack in the cheap pot metal casting that houses our FAD? Is the ridiculous little motorcycle battery for the stop and start system getting properly charged or are we going around the next bend only to stall in some weird internal electrical storm? Do we need to open our differential and go in to pot and seal the sensor before that unexpectedly shuts the axle down? Is our steering going to go loopy and slide us off the interstate at high speed? Was that a rock in the road or the first sign of death wobble? How long is that wheezy turbocharger going to last on the 2.0 that we got to avoid the extra cost of the 3.6? And, is the aluminum in our doors, hood, and tailgate slowly disintegrating from the galvanic corrosion?

Let's all just admit it. Given the ridiculousness that binds us all, that other guy's silly Jeep doesn't seem quite so bad ...maybe he could have added some metallic blue fiberglass wings to complete his ensemble.

ChadR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
IT
I like it! And I listen to my audio loud too. If Hellionis didn’t outlaw u see carriage lights id have them too.
To each their own! No judgement here!

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
It’s definitely not for me but it’s nowhere near as hideous as the clickbait title made it seem. Plus, it’s salvageable enough to restore back to factory by changing out a few parts.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Eh, wouldn't be my personal choice of mods but then again most every mod is pointless, and that's what make them fun. I know, someone's thinking "my mods are different - they're practical, they allow me to do X." Not a bad line of thinking, but unless one's in the most extreme of users, the real truth is more like "my mods make doing X easier, or more fun, but the wrangler in its stock form could probably have done it just fine." (Please again, note my use of the word "most")

In actuality, we're not smarter than the engineers in the vast majority of cases. The chip tune, modified suspension, armor, bumpers, winches, etc actually introduced just as much complexity and potential issues as they solved. We didn't do it because we needed to, or that it was needed in general...we did it because it's our Jeep and this is America and gol-darn' we love it.

Hopefully this person gets some fun when they hop in and push the button. Hopefully they turn around and look at it when they park it. At the end of the day, these being met, mission accomplished.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
In actuality, we're not smarter than the engineers in the vast majority of cases.
True, but you’re forgetting that engineers have to make trade offs driven by outside factors such as cost, EPA regs, DOT regs, etc.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
True, but you’re forgetting that engineers have to make trade offs driven by outside factors such as cost, EPA regs, DOT regs, etc.
Certainly not forgetting that, though I think you may have missed my point. Let me put it another way: The JL, as it sits with all of the limitations and trade offs, regs, etc you refer to is still out of the box ridiculously capable. Opt for an LSD or Rubicon trim level and you're capability is even more. The vast, overpowering majority of people owning these vehicles - and modding them - will never use their vehicle for anything it couldn't have done 10 minutes after driving off the sales lot. There is literally no practical reason to mod a JL wrangler for the vast majority of owners applications. Those guys you see with lifts on 40s doing hard rated trails? They're a tiny subset of the actual population. Why then, do we see tons of modded Jeeps? The same reason this person modded theirs - because it is fun.

I know what you might be thinking - yea but the EPA throttles these vehicles and tunes get rid of that and boost performance etc etc, lifts helps with angles and clearance. That's just not my point, my point is simply the amount of drivers who will reach the usage where their JL is holding them back is far, far smaller than the amount of people modding them. It's not a knock on modding Jeeps - I've spent the better part of my 20s and 30s doing just that...but if I'm really honest, most of it wasn't necessary. This reason alone should be enough for us to take even the most garish of jeep looks with a grain of salt and a smile.
Sponsored