Sponsored

Yes $1,000 Dollars Cash If You Can Fix My Jeep Steering Problem .

OP
OP

20JL Rubi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
How would you fix the steering angle sensor?
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Ram assist should have solved your problem.
Not necessarily. If the steering column is compromised, nothing down stream will address that.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Does the column use a rag joint that has a ton of slop or something? Or does the JL use some electronically controlled column?

A normal condition column shouldn't have any issue....until it gets super old and the rubber/gasket do-hickey starts to wear out.
The JL has a cross type universal joint. The collapsible section could introduce rotational play as well as the splines on either end and the u-joint itself. Jeep did a revision of the intermediate shaft in the past year with a TSB related to steering play.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have no idea as to the column. Haven't looked. So the collapsible section isn't the accordioned/corrugated piece of steel with a crude u-joint on one end and a rag joint on the other? Hmmm....guess I need to look. Seems like an easy fix though, if that's the problem....just put in a new column.
Sean,
Given your experience, I think you can handle about any portion of the steering system easily. Regarding the column, anything between the steering wheel and gearbox would unlikely have enough looseness for 2-3" rotational play. Maybe small amounts, though. Any looseness in the box and downstream components will be multplied/magnified at the tire by the gearbox ratio and lever arm ratios of the knuckle.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
One interesting thing I ran across, I met up with a member here that had full metalcloak lift and I think their trackbar. His steering was responsive with no noted play. For some reason he went to a stiffer damped steering stabilizer and the steering picked up a looser/spongy feel.

I thought about spongy steering on my JL, soft bushings on my stock trackbar and the great improvement from installing the Yeti Pro (polyurethane bushing) trackbar. I think the stiffer damper he installed worked against his trackbar and bushings. When the draglink pushes or pulls on the knuckle to steer, it has to have enough force to overcome the damping resistance of the steering stabilizer. That force reacts thru the steering stabilizer into the anchor end of it on the axle. That force is reacted to the frame thru the trackbar. Increase the steering stablilizer dampeing rate and you increase force on the trackbar (and its bushings). I believe this is why our member got spongy steering after going to a stiffer steering stabilizer. His trackbar was not up to the job with the stiffer stabilizer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
When they replaced your steering box, did they also install a new one-time use bolt that connects the steering column to the steering box? If not, the bolt can be loose causing some of the symptoms you are describing.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Can anyone confirm if turning traction control off also turns off steering assist? At a stop and turning my wheel with traction off it feels stiffer, as if unassisted, but as soon as putting traction back on it seems easier to turn the wheel, as if it is assisted.
The upcoming Jeep livestream event on Tuesday April 21 at 4pm EST might be a good place to ask the traction control question: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ep-brand-digital-livestream-roundtable.49622/

OP
OP

20JL Rubi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
They said that they replaced
it every time

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I’m running a fully stock Sport for the next few days, until I have my lift installed. I had bad steering out of the box. The ONE thing I changed was ditching the stock rubber and installing 33” Toyo Open Country AT2 tires, and I fully inflated them to 36 PSI. With full inflation I have no sidewall flex on the stock 17” wheels; that can cause a dead spot. The wider footprint and better tread pattern on the tires fixed ALL of the wandering issues.

Good luck! Let me know when you’re ready, and I will give you my paypal account info for the deposit ;)

Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey Mate,

Sorry you're dealing with this. I fixed my 2018 finally and am so happy to drive it. Seems like you have just about replaced everything. I'd say there are only 2 things left to do:

1. Have the dealer apply TSB # 08-122-19. This is the "2nd half of the fix" to be done after changing the gearbox to an AE.
2. Adjust your gearbox set screw 1/8th of a turn tigther.
3. Profit and enjoy your newfound amazing ride.

Hopefully these things work out man... I know the pain of a shitty driving brand new JLUR.....

Very helpful....thanks.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
When you turned it off the default was entered which is full on. You’re not writing anything or modifying anything in a forever way. It is either on or off, the loose feeling you encountered was the fact it was just incredibly easy to steer.
after i first got my Tazer i turned the ps off and really didn’t notice any difference.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
after i first got my Tazer i turned the ps off and really didn’t notice any difference.
You turned it off, rebooted it and didn’t notice your power steering was on 100% all the time? On the highway it should be noticeably different. I also have hydro which gives me more feel, but you should still notice a difference.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I Will give one person $ 1,000 Dollars Cash (Yes this is not a joke). if they can fix my Jeep Steering check out my other post for info Let me Know if you can fix it .
Updated Fuse Technique

Some have reported this fixed a few different steering issues such as the dead spot, loose steering, pulling, etc.

1. With the JL off, remove F34 power steering fuse.

2. Start the JL, notice no power steering by turning the steering wheel and dash message error appears. Do not drive it.

3. Turn off engine. Open driver door and close it so it completely turns off all dash lights. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes so all electronics fully discharge.

4. Reinsert F34 fuse, start engine, immediately turn steering wheel full left, full right, turn to center, turn engine off. Restart and take for a test drive.

Hello - new member here, just picked up a new 2019 JL 2D last week and had a definite case of the loose steering with about a 3-4 inch dead zone. Could feel it around town, but on the highway was a handful. The fuse technique above FIXED THE ISSUE COMPLETELY. You guys are awesome for posting this.

A few details: 2019 JL 2D 2.0L with build date 7/19 (probably one of the last 2019's) with an AE revision steering box. Before the fix, felt like the wheel would move, but none to minimal tire deflection near center, once about 2 inches off center the power steering would "kick in" and you would immediately get more than expected tire deflection. Obviously on the highway this would require constant left/right sawing at the wheel. Followed the steps above and after the "turn to center" in step 4, the wheel shifted a bit on its own as something was recalibrated. Restarted and drives great. Had my daughter drive it after and also said it was night and day - and she was scared to drive it even around the block previously. Cancelling my service visit scheduled for this Thursday and will communicate this to the service manager. Thanks all.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1148297

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
We have a local guy here that specializes in fixing death wobble. on youtube he is Dr. Death Wobble.
He build custom vehicles for Sema and is very trusted in the greater Michigan area for 4x4 work. He and his dad work out of a small shop in a very small town of Fowler, Michigan. Yes, a one stoplight town. They could fix it, but you would have to come to Michigan.......

https://kenskarkare.com/

Check his channel out.
Sponsored