Sponsored

Yes $1,000 Dollars Cash If You Can Fix My Jeep Steering Problem .

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
in the end a computer controls how much force is applied to assist the turn. i suspect there are a number of variables, temp, speed perhaps other things to are used as inputs and the output is the 'assist'. replacing the electric, computer controlled pump is theoretically the best solution. but, seems like i've read of at least one person where it didnt help. which would indicate there is a design flaw with the entire jeep suspension, all of it. the jeep's suspension is made up of a lot of pieces and i suspect the combination of whole is a problem that that doesnt lend itself to a well established solution. i suspect there is no solution other than a redesigned suspension .. all of it.
Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Wow, lot of posts about this issue and there are no cut and dry cures. There are more than one steering problems in play and different voodoo cures for each. My interpretation of the OP post is a wandering problem. So the PCS retro kit would most likely offer no benefit. Reports back on the retrofIt kit seem to indicate it helps with loose steering but had little benefit to a wandering jeep. Unfortunately all the mods to the front end will leave FCA a lot of leeway to say the OP created the problem and chances of a buyback are far better on a stock JL

The best solution is legal action with a attorney that is willing to fight it with the concept that the mods were done trying to fix what the dealer could not do. You would have to show you went to the dealer prior to the mods, they couldnā€™t fix it and the mods were done in the name of trying to maintain safety.

itā€™s a long shot, but others have won the battle with FCA, myself being one of them.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
He said they replaced the steering box 3 times. The probability that 4 revised version steering boxes have the extreme looseness from backlash adjustment is astronomically low.
Low is not zero.

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
Keep in mind, the speculative reason why the factory "loosened" the lash in the boxes was b/c at certain temps, early JLs exhibited LOCKED steering.....a far worse condition than wobble, wandering or vagueness.

By tightening up the box, you may improve feel, but could well be driving a death trap since you theoretically/hypothetically could lose directional control completely.

I'd be VERY cautious if this is the route you decide to take.
I agree with this 100%. There is definitely a fine line between lock up and looseness in these aluminum housed steering gears. I will say though, I adjusted mine approx. 3/16ā€™s of a turn and have had no problem with lockup at freezing temps. While itā€™s not perfect, itā€™s better than what it was. Just donā€™t get greedy with the adjustment; too perfect of steering when hot = Lockup when cold out.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Ram assist should have solved your problem.
PSC didnā€™t recommend it because other than steering components, Iā€™m stock and wonā€™t go bigger than 35s. No matter now, Iā€™m getting a new one :like:.

Sponsored

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37ā€™s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to chime in. I started a Star case on the steering and paint. They agreed to install an AE gearbox in Nov 2019. It did nothing. But I saw a post on here about a bulletin that needed to applied after a gearbox change. It worked! I am sure it had to do with the sensitivity of the electric steering. I would say it took 85% of the slop out of the steering wheel. Maybe with a sector shaft and brace, it would take out the other 15%. Mine is on a 2ā€ spacer lift with 2ā€ Mopar lower arms at 6 degrees and 28 psi in the Nitto RGā€™s. Not sure if the OP had this bulletin update done. I was surprised at what it did.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
in the end a computer controls how much force is applied to assist the turn. i suspect there are a number of variables, temp, speed perhaps other things to are used as inputs and the output is the 'assist'. replacing the electric, computer controlled pump is theoretically the best solution. but, seems like i've read of at least one person where it didnt help. which would indicate there is a design flaw with the entire jeep suspension, all of it. the jeep's suspension is made up of a lot of pieces and i suspect the combination of whole is a problem that that doesnt lend itself to a well established solution. i suspect there is no solution other than a redesigned suspension .. all of it.
If this was the case, how do you explain all of the Jeeps which steer properly? The steering box sector shaft preload adjustment is free and easy. I have a friend with a JL who did his last week and reports 100% improvement. It's worth a shot, you just don't want to overdo it or it may not return to center properly.

Canuck714

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Rubicon, 2014 Roush Raptor, 2020 JLU Willy's
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if you covered it, but what 37's do you have?
I had a wondering issue on one of our jeeps, and chased front end parts like you did. Nothing fixed it until I ditched the heavy Toyo MT and went with a BFG K02.
Instantly fixed my wonder and on center feel.

OP
OP

20JL Rubi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
37 -13.50 -20 12 inch wide rims if it matters Nitto trail grappler Tires

Sponsored

Kenstaroni

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I never had any of the crazy wandering issues with mine that other's have experienced but I did have a huge dead spot and on windy days the jeep would wander around some. I installed the Synergy track bar and drag link and a fox ATS stabilizer and it's worlds better. I can let go of the wheel at 70 and it just goes straight. Much improved on windy days as well. I drove around for a couple days without the stabilizer and it was still much better than stock, the stabilizer just allowed me to stiffen the steering up which mainly helped on windy days.

AEV 2.5 lift with geometry brackets (all stock arms)
Fox 2.5 Race Series Shocks
37x12.50 Nittos

Kolmain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Systems Administrator
Hey Mate,

Sorry you're dealing with this. I fixed my 2018 finally and am so happy to drive it. Seems like you have just about replaced everything. I'd say there are only 2 things left to do:

1. Have the dealer apply TSB # 08-122-19. This is the "2nd half of the fix" to be done after changing the gearbox to an AE.
2. Adjust your gearbox set screw 1/8th of a turn tigther.
3. Profit and enjoy your newfound amazing ride.

Hopefully these things work out man... I know the pain of a shitty driving brand new JLUR.....

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
See how it drives with traction control off.

JLowner1000

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I Will give one person $ 1,000 Dollars Cash (Yes this is not a joke). if they can fix my Jeep Steering check out my other post for info Let me Know if you can fix it .
I just completed a similar lift on my 2020 JLU Rubicon. Mine was all over the road and hard to stay in my lane. I was runnig too much toe-in. I adjusted to 1/32" in and now a one handed drive at 75MPH.

Sponsored