Sponsored

Yellowing on driver side painted factory flare

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Just as the title says the inner curve facing the hood is starting to yellow after 400 miles. Is this a common think with the bright white painted flares? I told the dealer. He noticed it right away in the pics I sent. Again only inside upper curve of flare facing rubicon lettering on hood.
Should I be watching forcthe hood itself and that fender in the crease to start also?

can the hood be built up with heat blocking material to prevent it? I have been in the garage since 130 and it’s now 730 and my hood on that driver side is still pretty warm.
Sponsored

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
Welcome to the white Jeep JL gang and the thrills of yellowing paint!

Yes, this is extremely common. More common however is the yellowing of the grill starting in the upper driver’s side area. Luckily FCA is willing to pay for painting under warranty. I had my 2019 grill repainted in the spring and now it looks like the fender is yellowing where you are describing. It seems to be a combination of heat in that area of the engine compartment and the quality of the paint.

Good news is it seems that most have had success with no re-yellowing after they are repainted. #Firstworldproblems

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks man. Ya I hear ya on the first world problems. I was actually not been going to post but its my first Jeep and I am really liking. I have a factory rubicon so only the 1 inch lift. Ya it’s fades To the right but I don’t have the other steering bump. I’m already used to the slight fade and the softer steering than I’m used to in my Chevy but I really really like this Jeep.

so the dealer will repaint the flare most likely vs replace? Is thats the better option? I’ll check my grill over next few weeks. Do I need to watch the metal hood or just plastic white pieces?

I knew I should have got sting grey. Lol. I love the color bit my ocd kicked in when I looked at it in the sun and started to see spiderwebbed paint down the road like a black paint job and I went with the white. I do like white a lot. Never had a flat white though. Always pearls.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
Thanks man. Ya I hear ya on the first world problems. I was actually not been going to post but its my first Jeep and I am really liking. I have a factory rubicon so only the 1 inch lift. Ya it’s fades To the right but I don’t have the other steering bump. I’m already used to the slight fade and the softer steering than I’m used to in my Chevy but I really really like this Jeep.

so the dealer will repaint the flare most likely vs replace? Is thats the better option? I’ll check my grill over next few weeks. Do I need to watch the metal hood or just plastic white pieces?

I knew I should have got sting grey. Lol. I love the color bit my ocd kicked in when I looked at it in the sun and started to see spiderwebbed paint down the road like a black paint job and I went with the white. I do like white a lot. Never had a flat white though. Always pearls.
No, it only is an issue on the plastic parts. I tried to get them to replace the grill with another one direct from the factory in white, but FCA would not approve that. My dealership did a really good job, and I can say I have no concerns with the longevity of the repaint. I would suggest trying to find a dealership with an in house body shop.

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks a lot guys. I’ll checks those reads out in the morning.
Sponsored