Sponsored

Yellowing grille on Bright White? Fix?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Has FCA figured out what's causing the white to yellow? Has FCA corrected this problem?
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Has this been resolved?

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Has this been resolved?
I bought a 2018 White JL off the lot. 10/18 build. I asked my salesman about this (he was aware) and he advised that there was a specific date range of builds that had this issue, and mine was not one of them. I gathered that FCA was aware that there was a problem and it was fixed. So far so good with mine. I suppose time will tell.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I bought a 2018 White JL off the lot. 10/18 build. I asked my salesman about this (he was aware) and he advised that there was a specific date range of builds that had this issue, and mine was not one of them. I gathered that FCA was aware that there was a problem and it was fixed. So far so good with mine. I suppose time will tell.
@Dudley Dawson

Your salesman is full of chitt.

Sponsored

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@Dudley Dawson

Your salesman is full of chitt.
I should have asked about the fenders too; just noticed the driver side fender is beginning to “yellow” along the edge by the hood. The passenger side fender is fine. Grill is ok. Bummer. I will take it in to dealer to have it checked out.

audralynn

First Name
Audra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Anyone had the original grill painted over at the body shop and if so how long ago? Noticing any discoloration after? That is FCA's offer to fix the yellow grill, have it painted at a local body shop. I am concerned about painting over an already defective paint situation and the longevity of the fix. I think I would rather start with a naked grill if we are getting it painted.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Anyone had the original grill painted over at the body shop and if so how long ago? Noticing any discoloration after? That is FCA's offer to fix the yellow grill, have it painted at a local body shop. I am concerned about painting over an already defective paint situation and the longevity of the fix. I think I would rather start with a naked grill if we are getting it painted.
@audralynn

If you take a stock painted bright white grill that has yellowing and you have it repainted bright white, you will .......... most of the time see white colored indents, lets call them, when the re-painted grill gets chipped while driving. (yes, it will get chips). These white marks/chips blend in, to a point..

Now, when you paint a black grill white and it gets a chip you will very often see black indents.... After awhile in this case, you will/can see a white grill with lots of black speckles.. indents. Gets bad enough and you will be wanting a repaint.

audralynn

First Name
Audra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
@audralynn

If you take a stock painted bright white grill that has yellowing and you have it repainted bright white, you will .......... most of the time see white colored indents, lets call them, when the re-painted grill gets chipped while driving. (yes, it will get chips). These white marks/chips blend in, to a point..

Now, when you paint a black grill white and it gets a chip you will very often see black indents.... After awhile in this case, you will/can see a white grill with lots of black speckles.. indents. Gets bad enough and you will be wanting a repaint.

Thanks!

Sponsored

JLRuss

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
This is still a problem. My 2019 was built in April and the grille is now showing signs of yellowing.

Masttico

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
im placing a new order for a bright white jlur. I’ve read the grill has been turning yellow. I know there a huge thread on it, I read it. I’m basically asking if people have heard or assume if the 2019’s will have this issue resolved? Or any info that can help me before I pull the trigger. I also heard the sting gray (my second choice) is having same issue!
I got my 2019 Wrangler Sahara Altitude on May 7th. I ordered it from the factory and picked it up the day it was delivered. On June 20th noticed the yellow discolor on the drivers side of the front grill. Will be taking it back to the dealer so we will see.