blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Nice write up! I ended up opting for KC with amber covers for the ease of anything cracks them it’ll be the cover and not the lens I have to replace, whatever loss in light due to the lens wasn’t a concern to me as I figured I’d be installing multiple sets. Here’s a pic from last weekend (me far right) with the amber covers + KC slim light and KC pro6 led and the other two have Baja XL driving combo ambers lens.
6934560D-84DB-464D-87B3-731BBA9314EA.jpeg
B523AA34-A0E8-4837-AE4F-1EDFB487F5D8.jpeg
F346D441-863D-44D6-BC48-3E04D17844C0.jpeg
I know this isn't the point of your post but I'm definitely jealous of that first pic. Looks awesome.

But yeah I can clearly see how the colors of the lights are different. Yours look more Amber/Orange while there's look a bit more yellow. Good comparison there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
As I understand them, you change the color by pushing the power switch. They have dedicated LEDs for each color. I'll see if I can find them again and post a link. I don't see where an aux switch would be a problem because the color change is internal to the light and not dependent on the switch you use.

EDIT TO ADD LINK: Something like this is what I was talking about. You cycle through modes by pushing the power switch. No need for multiple position switches or having to use more than one switch.

https://deautokey.com/product/dual-...n-a-clean-white-hyper-3000k-yellow-at-anytime
Ah cool you found it! Described as Yellow/White Switchback Fog LEDs, so perhaps are built like the Oracles I posted above? Looks like they tried to answer my question 1:

"Are these as bright as your single color de360 fogs? These are very close in lumens - many people that have switched from our single color white to our dual color yellow/white LED fog kit have not noticed any difference in visibility. As we said this is NOT a novelty yellow/white you normally see. This is meant to be used to help with your visibility."

I still can't say I understand how a switchback could be nearly as bright as a dedicated option, but it could be that it's good enough in both options. Maybe for the perception of the eye it's not linear on number of LEDs, I dunno. I'm clearly not an expert on this haha.

And I was basing my question 2 on the fact that a couple of the aux lights I saw with multiple modes seem to come with their own multiway switch (e.g. Diode Dynamics posted above have a version with backlight option and a 3 way switch. Or their RGB rocklights with many more options have a bluetooth remote). Given that's not how the aux switches operate, if it hooked up to aux you would still necessarily need some additional way to control that, whether it's having an additional controller in the cabin, etc. But then hooking it up to aux doesn't seem attractive anymore, even though you have aux's you want to use.

I see that in this case to do multi-modes they have a driver you install with the lights, and the driver seems to interpret voltage from multiple presses to enable multi-switch options from a single mode switch. So I see how if they had an aux option, you could control from by hitting the button a lot. However, they seem to indicate in several vehicles you can't use auto headlights, some have issues when you use your high beams, and some have issues when you quickly turn in a parking lot...Thus I wonder how reliable it is. But maybe this solution wouldn't be a big deal with aux lighting that's not connected to the fog light harness.

REDCOMETJLUXR

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
I know this isn't the point of your post but I'm definitely jealous of that first pic. Looks awesome.

But yeah I can clearly see how the colors of the lights are different. Yours look more Amber/Orange while there's look a bit more yellow. Good comparison there.
Thank you! Death Valley is a beautiful place I recommend the visit if possible.

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
I went with diode dynamics Amber fog and driving lights. Ss3 sports. I also have the halogen lights from jeep.

The combination of my light pattern works out wonderfully! I can see the deer in the ditches with the fogs and the driving lights are a great compliment to my high beams.

I would do this exact set up again if I had to start over. As a side note I can still lay down my windshield and that was important to me for the few times I do that.

825E3E3D-4C29-44D2-814D-DA04A9A4E747.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
This was a great excuse for me to take off the bezels and clean the fog lights.
Jeep Wrangler JL Yellow Lights vs. White Lights with Yellow covers 825E3E3D-4C29-44D2-814D-DA04A9A4E747
Jeep Wrangler JL Yellow Lights vs. White Lights with Yellow covers 825E3E3D-4C29-44D2-814D-DA04A9A4E747

As you can see it's just a thin piece of transparent vinyl which is imperfectly taped to the fog light. The only gripe I have about Lamin-X is that the vinyl they send you is almost a little bit too small. I'd be apt to say it's an exact fit, but really you can't place it perfectly, so you're forced to have a little bit of white light showing through.

It's probably been about a year and a half since I put this on, and it's looking a little bit hazy on both sides. I've always wanted to see if I can't just buy my own transparent vinyl roll and do it myself. I was going to do it that way myself the first time, but I was hesitant because I didn't want to buy something that didn't work out. I figured Lamin-X was a trusted brand so I ended up going with them. There's a lot of people on the Subaru Forester forums who use them.

However I think this time I'm going to buy a roll of this stuff https://grfxp.myshopify.com/products/transparent-amber-vinyl-by-the-foot

A 15-in x 1 ft roll looks the cost around $26 with shipping. Honestly though that beats the price for the Lamin-X pieces namely because you'll have excess.

There's other websites around where you can buy similar stuff.
$7 for the product from eBay from seller with 98% score didn't look up to see how much shipping was here.

I'm sure there's other places you can buy it, I'm just trying to save up my money right now for a mod for the engine on my diesel Wrangler. But be curious to know what you end up choosing.
Thanks for the pics. I can definitely see what you mean about the vinyl being a little small, and once I look close I can see it more clearly (slight bubbling/coming up?). I like your idea of trying to do it yourself, and maybe even just do one side so you can compare to LaminX? Like for feeling, how much light gets out, color, etc. Especially for the price if you like your pre-existing fog lights enough already.

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I went with diode dynamics Amber fog and driving lights. Ss3 sports. I also have the halogen lights from jeep.

The combination of my light pattern works out wonderfully! I can see the deer in the ditches with the fogs and the driving lights are a great compliment to my high beams.

I would do this exact set up again if I had to start over. As a side note I can still lay down my windshield and that was important to me for the few times I do that.

Is that the fog on and above it the spot on your cowls? And just curious, any reason you're sticking the halogen instead of going LED? Factory LEDs came standard with the Willys but I heard people here complaining about those halogens.

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
Is that the fog on and above it the spot on your cowls? And just curious, any reason you're sticking the halogen instead of going LED? Factory LEDs came standard with the Willys but I heard people here complaining about those halogens.
You are correct, the fog lights are on and the spot above them. I didn’t go LED due to cost alone. I think they look cool, but couldn’t justify the price. Going this route was way less expensive and I’m getting all the light I need.
Sponsored