Yellow ESS light on and start stop not working

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Not sure why it’s on. I’ve had situations where start stop isn’t working like cold engine or heat on full blast but the yellow light has never turned on before. The only thing I’ve done different is i got the V41 stabilizer recall done three days before it came on. Outside temperatures have also been pretty low lately but nothing out of the ordinary. Anyone else experienced this before?
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on disabling ESS.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Not sure why it’s on. I’ve had situations where start stop isn’t working like cold engine or heat on full blast but the yellow light has never turned on before. The only thing I’ve done different is i got the V41 stabilizer recall done three days before it came on. Outside temperatures have also been pretty low lately but nothing out of the ordinary. Anyone else experienced this before?
I"m not really an expert (I just play one on forums) but with what I've read you might not be driving enough (lots of parasitic drain and two batteries....definitely, get a trickle charger or you have one or two defective batteries (can't hold charge) and that will be fixed free. Try charging first....many here have found that to be a big help.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Is there any information displayed in the Stop/Start status screen.

Sponsored

OP
OP
EB12

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I"m not really an expert (I just play one on forums) but with what I've read you might not be driving enough (lots of parasitic drain and two batteries....definitely, get a trickle charger or you have one or two defective batteries (can't hold charge) and that will be fixed free. Try charging first....many here have found that to be a big help.
Its my daily and i drive about 25 minutes one way to work Monday to Friday and i just got back from a 300 mile trip last weekend so im not sure thats an issue.

Also the battery is showing high consistent numbers.

But there is no error message on the screen other than it just telling me its disabled.

mjf4241

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I had the start/stop warning light come on yesterday also. I was stopped and start/stop was activated. I let off the brake (engine should have started), but it went into auto park mode telling me to shift into park. I shifted into park and restarted the engine. I was able to continue to my daughter's school to drop her off. I then went to the nearest Jeep dealership and found out the batteries were bad (both the 12 volt and auxiliary battery). Dealership replaced both batteries under manufacture warranty. We'll see if there are any other issues with this blasted ESS.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I'd disconnect both batteries and check the voltage on each one to see if one is lower than the other - your AUX could be going bad and will take the main with it. If both voltages are identical or close, leave disconnected for a few hours or overnight and check again. Oh yeah, and before that, make sure your fuses are fully seated ;)

themattparty

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had the start/stop warning light come on yesterday also. I was stopped and start/stop was activated. I let off the brake (engine should have started), but it went into auto park mode telling me to shift into park. I shifted into park and restarted the engine. I was able to continue to my daughter's school to drop her off. I then went to the nearest Jeep dealership and found out the batteries were bad (both the 12 volt and auxiliary battery). Dealership replaced both batteries under manufacture warranty. We'll see if there are any other issues with this blasted ESS.
I’ve had this same issue happen to me multiple times. In fact, it just happened to me while I was sitting in traffic on the way to work. I’ve had my batteries replaced twice already. This is pretty absurd that this issue is still continuing. I’m not even sure what the next steps would be.

OP
OP
EB12

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I’ve had this same issue happen to me multiple times. In fact, it just happened to me while I was sitting in traffic on the way to work. I’ve had my batteries replaced twice already. This is pretty absurd that this issue is still continuing. I’m not even sure what the next steps would be.
Well that a pain. I just made an appointment with the dealership to get it checked out. This is the 7th trip to the dealer for check engine or other error messages :headbang:. I sure hope its a quick and permanent fix. I'm just glad the Jeep hasn't left me stranded on the side of the road so far.

Sponsored

OP
OP
EB12

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Just got a call from my dealership. they are replacing both batteries under warranty. Apparently one of the batteries went bad.

Both batteries were replaced exactly one year ago when i purchased the Jeep. It wouldn't start when i went to test drive it at the dealer so they replaced both at that time. I might look into upgrading to a better set of batteries so this doesn't happen again.

WalkingJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I'm going to assume if I'm over 36,000 miles mine wouldn't be fixed for free. I am assuming my aux battery is going bad as my Jeep won't start first click, but will on second push of the start button and shows good voltage on the dash. Half the time the ESS error comes up, and half not. Also the red alarm light on the left sometimes stays on solid red.

OP
OP
EB12

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I'm going to assume if I'm over 36,000 miles mine wouldn't be fixed for free. I am assuming my aux battery is going bad as my Jeep won't start first click, but will on second push of the start button and shows good voltage on the dash. Half the time the ESS error comes up, and half not. Also the red alarm light on the left sometimes stays on solid red.
Thats what im worried about also, wit all the electronic glitches that ive had with the wrangler, its gonna cost an arm and a leg to fix once my warranty runs out. And I cant fix or even diagnose most of these issues by myself so i would have to take it in.

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I had this issue 2 months after I bought my JLU. Depending on what year yours is, it may not be apparent. Mine is a 2019, this was addressed via a software update on 2018's as a bulletin...but there's no bulletin for 2019. That said, I brought mine in to the store and there WAS an available software update. Fixed the ESS right away. Not one issue since.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
O2 sensor or bad vacuum hose/pump issue in braking system. Once the dealer replaces them they need to flash the whole system to rest things. Battled this issue for months.
Sponsored