Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
2018 JL Sport 3.6 with ESS + 6 Speed transmission String Gray

Purchased (off the lot): Nov 2018

29K current mileage

Besides a few recalls in the past three years, and the broken driver's seat frame, the Jeep has been running great!

Until... yesterday morning ..... dead battery!
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
What year is your Jeep?
How many miles are on it?
What engine?
What was the first major mechanical problem and at what mileage approximately?

Have a Good New Year!
I have 2019, that I ordered and picked up in October of 2018.
mileages currently at 59259. My Jeep is not a daily driver. It is more a drive to the trail, wheel the trail and drive back home kind of Jeep. It has also towed my camper approximately 26,000 miles.

The only mechanical problem that I have had is the driver side valve cover had a small leak that dripped onto a C02 sensor. They fixed it the same day that it caused the miss fire and has been good ever since. I have had rear axle problems. Note, mainly my fault. It does get wheeled and drove hard.

Mind you it have been driven home like this many many times.
Jeep Wrangler JL Year and Mileage of Your Jeep 1640265028026

The 3.6 has a very good reliability track record. You would not know this as we typically only hear about the failures.

Here is a good article to read about a 3.6 having well over 600,000 miles on it.

The durable Chrysler Pentastar V6

The most important thing is keeping up on the fluid changes and general maintenance. I treat it like a race vehicle and maintain it like a race vehicle.

If you want an idea of what this Jeep has survived check this thread out.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/picture-thread-my-jeep-survived-that.79545/

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
What year is your Jeep? 2021 JLUS 3.6 6MT
How many miles are on it? 5600
What engine? 3.6L
What was the first major mechanical problem and at what mileage approximately? None

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
2020 JL Rubicon
2.0 turbo 8 speed auto
Bought Oct 2020 (used 8100 miles)
23,400 current
Some commute driving and a big trip to Colorado. My ESS stopped working, no alerts on screen so may be a bad switch on brake pedal??? Not to worried about it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
other than a winter front and plugging her in for about 2 hours before ignition nothing, no idling just 15 min warm up and go! i keep rpms under 2k until engine temp is up. run quality fuel, oil, def and filters.
I love the idea of testing these things out in the extremes! So I'm guessing that means the anti-gel additives are added by the fuel stations? I have zero diesel experience, but have heard that the fuel needs some kind of treatment.

I see it is a nice, balmy -17 F up there right now! Lol, wow! And -24 by Jan 3.

My Jeep would be Yellowknife ready. It was in the very early production run for the first model year. The cold weather package included a plug-in heater. They since deleted that from the package. One night I tested it by leaving the Jeep out in 10 below weather, which is a temp we probably only get to once ever 2 to 3 years. I came out in the morning and fired her up and the coolant had been kept at 80 degrees.

One last question.....What is they common lowest temp you'll see in a winter up there?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I forgot to add the issues my 2018 Jeep has had in 4 years.....
  • Steering damper recall (was getting shimmy on bumps)
  • Manual transmission recalls x2. Mine never showed an issue. It's performed perfectly.
  • Radio re-flash for update and then replaced for screen delaminatin at 38k under warranty.
Not bad for early production of the first model year. It has also seen extensive off-roading.

The 2021 hasn't had any issues except a loose fuel filler door.

Fit and finish on both JLURs was outstanding. The only flaws I found on either was a tiny smudge of glue on the hard top. I believe it was quarter window adhesive. The 2021 appears to only be the loose mounting fasteners on the fuel door and a very slight rattle in the cargo area which I've not tried to fix yet.

Jeep really has the quality on these things down tight, from my experience. That ain't easy on a removable top vehicle.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
2018 JL Sport 3.6 with ESS + 6 Speed transmission String Gray

Purchased (off the lot): Nov 2018

29K current mileage

Besides a few recalls in the past three years, and the broken driver's seat frame, the Jeep has been running great!

Until... yesterday morning ..... dead battery!
That battery was due. OEM batteries usually don't last very long. I'd recommend a Batteries Plus Bulbs X2. It is a Northstar or Odyssey pure-lead AGM in their house brand. Replace that little battery while at it. Advance auto has a Craftsman AUG-14-1. It is an AGM, as well, although not a pure lead type. Both should far outlast and outperform the stock batteries. Batteries Plus usually gives a nice discount on the X2 if purchased on-line and adds 1 year of warranty over Northstar for the same battery, making it 5 years.

Sounds like you got a great Jeep!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have 2019, that I ordered and picked up in October of 2018.
mileages currently at 59259. My Jeep is not a daily driver. It is more a drive to the trail, wheel the trail and drive back home kind of Jeep. It has also towed my camper approximately 26,000 miles.

The only mechanical problem that I have had is the driver side valve cover had a small leak that dripped onto a C02 sensor. They fixed it the same day that it caused the miss fire and has been good ever since. I have had rear axle problems. Note, mainly my fault. It does get wheeled and drove hard.

Mind you it have been driven home like this many many times.
Jeep Wrangler JL Year and Mileage of Your Jeep 1640265028026

The 3.6 has a very good reliability track record. You would not know this as we typically only hear about the failures.

Here is a good article to read about a 3.6 having well over 600,000 miles on it.

The durable Chrysler Pentastar V6

The most important thing is keeping up on the fluid changes and general maintenance. I treat it like a race vehicle and maintain it like a race vehicle.

If you want an idea of what this Jeep has survived check this thread out.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/picture-thread-my-jeep-survived-that.79545/
People don't realize how tough these things really are. Nobody puts their Camry through this kind of shit and very, very few people even put a pick up truck through it, either.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
People don't realize how tough these things really are. Nobody puts their Camry through this kind of shit and very, very few people even put a pick up truck through it, either.
Yup true story, any weekend you can find a 25 year old wrangler with 200,000+ miles on it out on the trail getting it done.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
2018 JLUR 3.6L 8AT
top corner of my infotainment screen cracked, Idk if the dealership did this while fixing my broken rear defroster. Do they have to touch the screen to replace the rear defroster?

Rear defroster came unsoldered 3 times and fixed under warranty

Sponsored

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just curious if you changed spark plugs yet. I'm on my first Pentastar, so I've no clue how long their real world life expectancy is. But I've heard of them going beyond 100k and stull running great on the originals.
I have not. I've been working up the courage to do that job.😛

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have not. I've been working up the courage to do that job.😛
Lol, yeah, looks complicated. A buddy of mine just did it on his JK's 3.6, though, and said it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. Just stick rags in the intake holes so as not to get debris or anything in them.

Good to know that these run great well beyond the 100k mark!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
2020 2 door Willys
13,000 miles
3.6/8 speed auto

Bought new out of dealer inventory. Zero issues, zero recalls, zero TSBs. Has been back to the dealer for nothing. I do my own maintenance and rotations, no free Jeep Wave BS for me. Except for minor cosmetic issues that all vehilces get over time, it looks, feels and drives as new inside and out.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
My early 2018 with the 3.6 is approaching 70k miles.

I just replaced the oil filter housing because it was leaking and oil was caking onto the valve covers. I thought the valve cover gaskets were the problem, but there wasn't any oil leaking down the sides of the engine or burning off. It was sitting in the valley and slowly seeping out. I probably overtorqued the filter cap during an oil change and tweaked something. Leave it to FCA to make critical engine components out of plastic. While I had it apart, I did the gaskets and replaced the plugs anyway.

I also just replaced the alternator because the pulley was spitting grease, putting a nice line of fluid that looks like oil under the belt and spraying it on the engine cover and oil filler.

And that's it. Those are the only mechanical problems I've had with this thing thus far.

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
That battery was due. OEM batteries usually don't last very long. I'd recommend a Batteries Plus Bulbs X2. It is a Northstar or Odyssey pure-lead AGM in their house brand. Replace that little battery while at it. Advance auto has a Craftsman AUG-14-1. It is an AGM, as well, although not a pure lead type. Both should far outlast and outperform the stock batteries. Batteries Plus usually gives a nice discount on the X2 if purchased on-line and adds 1 year of warranty over Northstar for the same battery, making it 5 years.

Sounds like you got a great Jeep!
Thank you, Dan.

Just got an X2 from Batteries Plus Bulbs. In and out under 10 mins.
Sponsored