Sponsored

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
I thoroughly enjoyed my JLR on the streets, and hoping to enjoy my JLUR just as much when she arrives! I called it my "therapy" vehicle.
Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
While I love the JL capabilities off road I have to admit I also quite love driving it on road. Plenty of times I have simply just popped the freedom tops and went to find a nice route and enjoyed the fresh air and the journey on road.

That said I live in New Jersey and I am at least 1-2 hours from anywhere that I could even go offroad. I still want to find some fun trails eventually but really have no desire to smash up my Jeep on rocks. Some light trails/snow/mud/sand I'm down for all that stuff.

I did post in the north New Jersey section hoping I may find some like-minded folks that may enjoy a meet up/ride and find some cool roads but came up empty. So again just curious am I nuts or are there others that also enjoy driving their Jeep on road as well?
JLUR owner here. Running 100% factory stock and plan to keep it that way. Am on road 99% of the time. Bought the JLUR more for looks than anything else.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Oh no, I'm a pretty good driver, but I'm not crazy on the road. For me it's more about traffic coming the other way. I've seen other drivers come across that center line. But, it has been a while since I went there (2016). I was nervous about that in the MR2. Had a couple of close calls the last time I was there with folks coming across that center line.

Good point I hadn't thought of since on 2 I have a bit more wiggle room. I have ridden the dragon many times, and yes...times oncoming traffic on a bike, and would have been far worse in a JL.

cbh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Occupation
Retired Air Force
While I love the JL capabilities off road I have to admit I also quite love driving it on road. Plenty of times I have simply just popped the freedom tops and went to find a nice route and enjoyed the fresh air and the journey on road.

That said I live in New Jersey and I am at least 1-2 hours from anywhere that I could even go offroad. I still want to find some fun trails eventually but really have no desire to smash up my Jeep on rocks. Some light trails/snow/mud/sand I'm down for all that stuff.

I did post in the north New Jersey section hoping I may find some like-minded folks that may enjoy a meet up/ride and find some cool roads but came up empty. So again just curious am I nuts or are there others that also enjoy driving their Jeep on road as well?
I'm with you! I love driving my Jeep on the road. I love knowing I can take the “road (or trail) less traveled” without worrying about getting stuck or breaking something critical out of tow truck range...that was never on my bucket list. Am I not adventurous enough?

Let’s see...I ran 5 marathons (including Pikes Peak); competed in dozens of triathlons (including Escape from Alcatraz); earned my US Army Jump Wings and German Army Jump Wings. I climbed eighteen 14ners (mountains over 14K feet), including two in the dead of winter. I survived 3 ex-wives and 53 rocket attacks in Afghanistan...not sure which I feared more.

I’m not braggin’, just reminding myself I don’t have anything to prove when I get behind the wheel of my Jeep....but at the same time I completely understand and respect those who let it all hang out navigating their Jeeps over treacherous terrain.

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I'm with you! I love driving my Jeep on the road. I love knowing I can take the “road (or trail) less traveled” without worrying about getting stuck or breaking something critical out of tow truck range...that was never on my bucket list. Am I not adventurous enough?

Let’s see...I ran 5 marathons (including Pikes Peak); competed in dozens of triathlons (including Escape from Alcatraz); earned my US Army Jump Wings and German Army Jump Wings. I climbed eighteen 14ners (mountains over 14K feet), including two in the dead of winter. I survived 3 ex-wives and 53 rocket attacks in Afghanistan...not sure which I feared more.

I’m not braggin’, just reminding myself I don’t have anything to prove when I get behind the wheel of my Jeep....but at the same time I completely understand and respect those who let it all hang out navigating their Jeeps over treacherous terrain.
I never wanted a Jeep. My wife did. She got one. Decided to take it up to the mountains to snowboard since I needed some type of 4WD/AWD vehicle for the chain control areas.

I was instantly hooked after taking using it in the snow and shortly after off roading/camping. I don’t think I ever would have liked Wranglers if I didn’t get the chance to off road with one.

It’s not necessary, but as someone new to the Jeep world, I would suggest getting your feet wet. It’s just so much fun! I get why there’s a cult following but more so to off roading than Jeep specifically :)

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Badass reply 😎

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
There's this misconception that you need to go off road to have fun in a Wrangler. I've only off roaded a hand full of times and have had more smiles in a Jeep Wrangler than any other vehicle when driving with the top down on back roads or simply going to the store.

InjectedCJ7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1978 CJ-7
I used to daily drive a CJ7, and I loved every minute of it. The JL should be all that much better.
I’ve owned a 78 CJ7 for several years, still do! Just bought a 2018 JLUR. Best of both worlds!
Jeep Wrangler JL Yea yea off roader BUT who enjoys driving their JL onroad? 2E76CA01-B272-4FC5-A190-65D9496DCC25
Jeep Wrangler JL Yea yea off roader BUT who enjoys driving their JL onroad? 31D60A77-523E-42DA-A945-E4DF9F88347E
Jeep Wrangler JL Yea yea off roader BUT who enjoys driving their JL onroad? A551ADE9-35D1-4315-9128-263E280DDAD7

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I do not care much what is under the tires, as long as I am behind the wheel and can hear the grunt of the 3.6 Pentastar. Any road will do.

Sponsored

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
I feel the same about Deals Gap. I've nearly been taken out too many times to count by idiots coming across the line on bikes and in sports cars. When I go to that area these days I prefer to ride some of the other roads like the Cherohala Skyway.
Yep all the 'named' roads are packed on weekends...even Cherohala. I think the last time we were on the Dragon it was June mid-week. Almost no other vehicles so it was fun. I actually don't think I've ever been on a weekend or had a bad experience on the ride so just lucky I guess. There are better curvy roads around the area but I'm not going to make any of those public ;). Actually anywhere in the Smoky Mountains is enhanced by being in a jeep! Also, lots of fun and off the beaten path Forest service roads in the area if a bit of dirt is desired.

Last edited:

OkieDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2-dr
My JL 2-door is my daily driver, just as was my Jk before that. My like new F150 sits in the garage most days. The F150 is fast, comfortable and will tow or carry just about anything, but the Wrangler simply puts a smile on my face.

Like you, I'm all in for mud, snow and back roads, but not for banging up my Jeep! You say there's not much in your area, but do a search for "Adventure Routes" or "Adventure Discovery Routes". Most were mapped out for the Adventure motorcycle crowd (I was one), but are good for 4-wheelers as well. Many are rated for difficulty by segment, and users post all kinds of photos and descriptions so you know what you're getting into.

For example, Oklahoma, where I'm at has two 'adventure routes'. The Oklahoma Adventure Trail (OAT) circles the entire state and is about 70% unpaved or forest roads. There are sandy spots, mud holes, and low water crossings. Those change with the season, and there are many points of interest that you'll never see from the highways. I drove a segment of the OAT yesterday, and saw some beautiful country.

Many of the websites provide GPX files of the route that you can load into your favorite backwoods trail app, such as GAIA GPS. Those back trail apps will work even when there's no cell service and help keep you from getting lost -- and help you find new stuff. I highly recommend using one!

sfurash53

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys
Have a 2021 Willys, love driving it, it's just fun even the mile and a half to the gym at 5am.
Ours is convertible.
If I had to do it over and had it been available I'd get the xr version, maybe trade it for a 2022 if values hold.
It's a dream anyway.

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
Not me. I tolerate the loud, rough, unstable, unreliable ride just so it can get me to the trail and back. I much rather drive my 20-year old Lexus or slightly newer wife's Venza--much more comfortable. If I wanted to impress someone, I'd buy a Raptor or G-wagon. If I wanted a sunburn or flies in my teeth, any convertible sedan or motorcycle would be preferable.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Very happy with my Jeep on the road. I take a road trip about once a month (3 hrs each way) and it's just cool to drive. Of course my '06 F250 V10 was bouncy and heavy so that probably is why I see an improvement. Also, yesterday saw a new Bronco go down our street - the first thought that popped in my head "Glad I decided to buy a Jeep".
Sponsored

Last edited: