Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Technology & part-time Google mechanic
Clubs

I was finally able to solve the steering problem with our 2018 Rubicon. We had the steering box replaced, new alignment, reprogrammed stuff the dealer said had to be done. Steering was still lousy. In order to make it perfect, all we had to do was replace the 2018 with a 2021 4xe. Now it steers great, several road trips already from NJ to VT. I grew up driving a string of CJ-5s, the 2018 steering was worse than theirs, and worse than our ancient CJ-8. There's a definite design flaw there, Jeep seems unwilling to acknowledge.
Replacement is one way to solve the problem!
Sponsored

Andrews jl

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU, 15 Willy’s, Tesla x., Tesla 3, BMW x2
Occupation
It’s Miller time!
Sure sounds cool. I'm in New milford. Like exit 165 off parkway
Hey guys…
I’m from northvale too… but I moved down the shore a few years ago..Exit 74..Lots of trails and woods down here fire roads, in the pinelands etc..and you can take your jeep on the beaches too at Island beach state park ..
Definitely worth a drive

Last edited:

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
How about the quick trip to Home Depot.
7D880730-650D-447F-AA25-DE738D016FF9_1_105_c.jpeg

Edit: I'd have put it all the way up on the curb but there was a Ford Escape parked on the other side. :)
You have to assert your dominance!!

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
While I love the JL capabilities off road I have to admit I also quite love driving it on road. Plenty of times I have simply just popped the freedom tops and went to find a nice route and enjoyed the fresh air and the journey on road.

That said I live in New Jersey and I am at least 1-2 hours from anywhere that I could even go offroad. I still want to find some fun trails eventually but really have no desire to smash up my Jeep on rocks. Some light trails/snow/mud/sand I'm down for all that stuff.

I did post in the north New Jersey section hoping I may find some like-minded folks that may enjoy a meet up/ride and find some cool roads but came up empty. So again just curious am I nuts or are there others that also enjoy driving their Jeep on road as well?
I love driving mine anywhere and everywhere and invent reasons and places to drive it-doesn’t matter where or what surface it’s on. I bought my Jeep to (literally) take me anywhere I wanted to go, and it does. Something I don’t hear many talking about is how its capabilities in the snow far exceed a passenger car’s. Here in the mountain states, even if you’re not a hard core trail ratwilling to bash up your ride-having a Jeep in the snow puts you in a much safer vehicle.

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
You are worried you are so fast with a Jeep you'll run over bikes and sports cars? Guessing it's been a long time since you've been. The average speed is pretty decent the last few years.
Oh no, I'm a pretty good driver, but I'm not crazy on the road. For me it's more about traffic coming the other way. I've seen other drivers come across that center line. But, it has been a while since I went there (2016). I was nervous about that in the MR2. Had a couple of close calls the last time I was there with folks coming across that center line.

Sponsored

Kryten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Oh no, I'm a pretty good driver, but I'm not crazy on the road. For me it's more about traffic coming the other way. I've seen other drivers come across that center line. But, it has been a while since I went there (2016). I was nervous about that in the MR2. Had a couple of close calls the last time I was there with folks coming across that center line.
I feel the same about Deals Gap. I've nearly been taken out too many times to count by idiots coming across the line on bikes and in sports cars. When I go to that area these days I prefer to ride some of the other roads like the Cherohala Skyway.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
The Sky One Touch really makes on-road driving a whole lot more pleasant. I didn't realize this so much until I was stuck with a loaner vehicle for a week. How I missed just going out and taking an open-air drive!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I90 sucks. It's not the Jeep's fault, but I understand. I've ridden it from Sturgis to MN...100+ degrees, 50MPH side winds, hung over. Miserable. I have ridden it in normal times, it still sucks.

You are worried you are so fast with a Jeep you'll run over bikes and sports cars? Guessing it's been a long time since you've been. The average speed is pretty decent the last few years.
Thinking maybe he meant he wouldn't be able to stop in time?? JL brakes aren't the best IMO :(

Sponsored

tekdifficult

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xe
I was finally able to solve the steering problem with our 2018 Rubicon. We had the steering box replaced, new alignment, reprogrammed stuff the dealer said had to be done. Steering was still lousy. In order to make it perfect, all we had to do was replace the 2018 with a 2021 4xe. Now it steers great, several road trips already from NJ to VT. I grew up driving a string of CJ-5s, the 2018 steering was worse than theirs, and worse than our ancient CJ-8. There's a definite design flaw there, Jeep seems unwilling to acknowledge.
Glad to read this. I just bought the 2021 4xe Sahara. Some of these posts were making worry I had made a bad decision :D I have been looking for reasons to drive it since I bought it. I came from a 2020 Fusion Titanium AWD and I have no complaints with the way the Jeep drives at all. I had an 2019 Explorer Sport before that. Jeep is much more fun than that too!

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I enjoy my Wrangler no matter where I am driving it. I also enjoy looking at it when it is stopped LOL.

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
No doubt - super fun no matter where you drive; on or off road. But I was happily surprised to find how comfortable it was on road trips and just driving around town. I even prefer it to my previous vehicles for the horrendous commute traffic here in the Bay Area! I have an old, lower back injury that likes to say hello every once in a while and the upright nature of the seats are the perfect support; and it's super comfy on longer trips too. The visibility in commute traffic is fantastic - I can actually SEE what's coming up ahead as opposed to the rear window of the car (or back bumper of the SUV or truck) in front of me. The gas mileage is the worst of any car I've owned but frankly... I just don't care. :)

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
I enjoy my Wrangler no matter where I am driving it. I also enjoy looking at it when it is stopped LOL.
Just washed mine last night - spend a stupid amount of time looking at it in the garage afterwards. LOL.
Sponsored