Sponsored

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Did you get longer LCAs to get your caster where it should have been from the factory?? We take regular 2k mile road trips in our JL (combined w/ some off-road side trips) and we love it on road too. Our JL can run down the hwy at 75 to 80 w/ just a finger on the wheel (as long as no crosswinds are there, lol) tracks like it's on rails.
See below-

Yes, exactly this! I installed the Mopar LCA’s and my otherwise-stock JLR drives noticeably better. If your JLUR is stock, try this. If it’s on a big lift with 37” tires you’re going to have to look for other solutions.
Yes, I did.

And, no, it didn't address the wandering over 45mph. Small improvement, yes, and this was after taking it in for the newest version of the steering box. Took it in again and was told it was normal--the service manager even told me they never should have done the first warranty replacement since my 2021 technically didn't qualify.

scj64

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Ram 2500, ‘23 R/T, ‘23 20A 392, ‘22 FLHTK
Yes, I did.

And, no, it didn't address the wandering over 45mph. Small improvement, yes, and this was after taking it in for the newest version of the steering box. Took it in again and was told it was normal--the service manager even told me they never should have done the first warranty replacement since my 2021 technically didn't qualify.
Did you physically measure the distance from bolt hole to bolt hole on the control arms? Stock is 24”. I’m not sure what the Mopar arms measure, I always buy adjustable. On lifted Wrangler’s; 2 to 4 inches, I usually set them 24 1/2 “to 24 5/8”. I have the ones on my wife’s Jeep set at 24 1/4”. Doubt I’ll check caster degrees if it works well out on the freeway. I could only maintain 70 mph last night (speed limit) and it was night and day difference.

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I love driving my JLUR on road. A lot of smiles per mile, top down and or doors off is even better. I say this coming out of a lightly modified Audi wagon that was a road scalpel in the corners, but the wrangler is just all around fun. Too much emphasis is put on wheeling these, they are plenty of fun on pavement too, best convertible ever.

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Did you physically measure the distance from bolt hole to bolt hole on the control arms? Stock is 24”. I’m not sure what the Mopar arms measure, I always buy adjustable. On lifted Wrangler’s; 2 to 4 inches, I usually set them 24 1/2 “to 24 5/8”. I have the ones on my wife’s Jeep set at 24 1/4”. Doubt I’ll check caster degrees if it works well out on the freeway. I could only maintain 70 mph last night (speed limit) and it was night and day difference.
I don't want to derail the thread any more than I have. :)

The Mopar LCAs for the lift kit are 24 1/4", FYI.

Sponsored

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I love my Jeep, I love the Jeep experience in general, but I can't possibly enjoy driving it at 70 mph on the local freeways.

Maybe on a straight highway, outside of town... sure, but Orange, L.A., Riverside, San Bernardino counties, not so much, with all the traffic, construction, exits/entries, road cracks. At 70 mph you must be very alert and engaged in a Wrangler, a lot more so than with any car and pickup, unless they are some oldies.

Consequently, my enjoyment of the Jeep is very selective.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

So where in NJ are you ? Maybe we can meet for lunch one day ? I'm in NJ also but like you 1-2 hours from the trails.
Sure sounds cool. I'm in New milford. Like exit 165 off parkway

acenines3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Occupation
Retired
Sure sounds cool. I'm in New milford. Like exit 165 off parkway
I’m in Woodbridge like exit 118 I think but your not to far lol.

Afishinado

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sahara, 17 JKU Big Bear, 97 TJ
My 21 Sahara is a sweet road car. I actually bought it to replace my 3rd Tahoe. Told the salesman, I have two Wranglers now. What I want to do is replace my Tahoe with something that has a smaller foot-print, it spends 99% of its life parked in the garage. BUT, I need to make the 3 day, 2300 mile run FL to SD twice a year... With 3 dogs and my wife... So to test, I need to take it out on the interstate, run it up to 90 and see how it behaves. It did well, bought it. Ended up having to add a hitch mount shelf to fit our stuff... Then the worst thing happened, when we left SD it was blowing 30-40 kts all the way to Oklahoma City. Sorry guys, it's not to be compared to a full size SUV, wind tossed it from lane to lane like a toy.. I have ordered a new Tahoe, and have to figure out how to minimize the hit on the Sahara.. Nice car though, real nice!
Jeep Wrangler JL Yea yea off roader BUT who enjoys driving their JL onroad? 3 Jeeps a.JPG

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Yes, I did.

Darn, I was hoping you still had the stock arms :( Did you do any additional lift from your stock setup? Those Mopar lift LCAs are only good for about 1.5 to 2 degrees caster increase, maybe you're in the range where adjustable LCAs would get you to a happy place, sure worth a shot!

Sponsored

scj64

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Ram 2500, ‘23 R/T, ‘23 20A 392, ‘22 FLHTK
I don't want to derail the thread any more than I have. :)

The Mopar LCAs for the lift kit are 24 1/4", FYI.
I don’t see it as a derailment; on road driving experience is so much better when your Jeep is properly setup.
Some lift kits supply control arms with them but they’re not always longer like they should be. I just replaced a set on a friend’s JLUR. They were beefier than stock and powder coated red but were 24” eye to eye. Driving his lifted Jeep with 37/13.5 tires was a nightmare until I installed adjustable LCA’s and a steering box brace. Had to set the tow as well. It’s a shame what some shops send out the door.

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect
I don't yet enjoy driving my JL nearly as much as I enjoyed my previous two JKs. The ride is great, nice and smooth, but the squirrelly, 'vehicle performs as designed' steering guts my sense of enjoyment. I drove each of the previous JKs halfway across the country, and I've actively avoided doing the same because keeping my JLUR between the whites lines on my 27 mile commute gets exhausting.

Still hopeful I can find a solution to that. When that happens, I have no doubt I'll get the Jeep onroad joy back.
I was finally able to solve the steering problem with our 2018 Rubicon. We had the steering box replaced, new alignment, reprogrammed stuff the dealer said had to be done. Steering was still lousy. In order to make it perfect, all we had to do was replace the 2018 with a 2021 4xe. Now it steers great, several road trips already from NJ to VT. I grew up driving a string of CJ-5s, the 2018 steering was worse than theirs, and worse than our ancient CJ-8. There's a definite design flaw there, Jeep seems unwilling to acknowledge.

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
We enjoy the JLURD both on and off road. Even with the big 37's and lift it's still a nice ride on road both long trips or just driving. Try the tail of the dragon in a jeep!

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Technology & part-time Google mechanic
Clubs

I love driving mine around! I love the 8 speed transmission, I think it rides very smooth, and sometimes look down at cars and think, "I could drive over you if I wanted."

20211118_072313.jpg
Sponsored