Sponsored

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

While I love the JL capabilities off road I have to admit I also quite love driving it on road. Plenty of times I have simply just popped the freedom tops and went to find a nice route and enjoyed the fresh air and the journey on road.

That said I live in New Jersey and I am at least 1-2 hours from anywhere that I could even go offroad. I still want to find some fun trails eventually but really have no desire to smash up my Jeep on rocks. Some light trails/snow/mud/sand I'm down for all that stuff.

I did post in the north New Jersey section hoping I may find some like-minded folks that may enjoy a meet up/ride and find some cool roads but came up empty. So again just curious am I nuts or are there others that also enjoy driving their Jeep on road as well?
Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
So again just curious am I nuts or are there others that also enjoy driving their Jeep on road as well?
When it was still functioning reasonably well, I loved taking my LJ on road trips. I've driven it to Florida and the Outer Banks from Indiana; didn't even take my doors or top with me on the latter trip.

I expect my JL to be my road trip vehicle. Should be much more comfortable than the LJ, better gas mileage, more reliable. (Maybe.)

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
We took ours on a 5K+ mile road trip, and enjoyed every minute of the ride. I was quite fun to be able to turn off the highway onto a dirt backroad to nowhere when we wanted.

Jeep Wrangler JL Yea yea off roader BUT who enjoys driving their JL onroad? 100_4925.JPG

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

I do. Driving my JL around town makes me smile. I love convertibles (first car was a '65 MGB—wish I still had it!) and the doors off and top down is the ultimate convertible.

Even makes going to the mall fun :rock:
IMG_3908-X3.jpg
Exactly. I had a Corvette and a GTR and I realized wherever I felt like taking a pleasure cruise many times I'd opt to grab the keys to my wife's 2018 JL and just pop the freedom panels.

Now that I have my XR 392 it really reminds me of a mix of my GTR/VETTE/2012 AEV JK. I love it.

Just wish I had more friends into "car/truck/jeep hobby" that liked meeting up to take a cruise and grab lunch or something. I like the rides by myself but would be nice to share the hobby.

Screenshot_20211122-195649_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. Errands, commutes, whatever...it’s all much better topless and/or doorless. If it’s nice out and I’m not in a hurry, I’ll usually take the longer way just because I like driving the jeep that much.

Sponsored

bmwbutch

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
Have road a motorcycle thru 44 states, Canada and Mexico. All up and down the eastern states in a BMW m-roadster. Because of my knees had to give up both. Now traveling to some of the same places, but going to where I could not or would not take the bikes or car. 40 years of bike rally's have changed to jeep rally's. Funny how many ex-bikers (and still riding) I've met in jeeps. Top back covering miles. Dirt roads, fields and creeks. Good people and good times. That's what I enjoy.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I agree. Errands, commutes, whatever...it’s all much better topless and/or doorless. If it’s nice out and I’m not in a hurry, I’ll usually take the longer way just because I like driving the jeep that much.
đź‘Ť My commute home takes 30 minutes in my Tundra and 45 minutes in my Jeep as I always take the long way home and maybe cut down a dirt road or two.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. I had a Corvette and a GTR and I realized wherever I felt like taking a pleasure cruise many times I'd opt to grab the keys to my wife's 2018 JL and just pop the freedom panels.

Now that I have my XR 392 it really reminds me of a mix of my GTR/VETTE/2012 AEV JK. I love it.

Just wish I had more friends into "car/truck/jeep hobby" that liked meeting up to take a cruise and grab lunch or something. I like the rides by myself but would be nice to share the hobby.

Jeep Wrangler JL Yea yea off roader BUT who enjoys driving their JL onroad? 20211106_174934
I saw your thread in the mid Atlantic section. I'm on the east end of long Island, so I can fully relate to not having the luxury of nearby legal offroading. Nearest options are either a couple hours further upstate or a few hours west to PA.

I fully agree with you about how fun it is to drive the Jeep around. I regularly find myself taking the longer routes when I'm not pressed for time. I also like Saturday night cruises with no real destination in mind. Just bounce around, stopping here or there. Coffee is usually grabbed along the route.

If I was closer, I'd definitely meet up for some company. Not many like minded Jeep people in my neck of the woods. Most of the local groups consist of people that just happen to own one, but can't carry a conversation about them. That's a big part of what keeps me a regular on this forum.

I hear about a bunch of locally known spots around you that are used without any hassle, but nitwits keep mentioning them online and they become regularly patrolled and people are getting tickets and court dates. I know of similar spots by me but, in my opinion, offroading should be relaxing and having to worry about getting caught sorta ruins that.

Gnomad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 392 XR, C7Z Corvette, C5Z Corvette
We have a BMW and Porsche also in the garage. Our JLUR gets more daily miles than both of them…combined. Top off 8 months out of the year and often have doors off or tube doors on. Feels like I’m on vacation while running errands. :)

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I don't yet enjoy driving my JL nearly as much as I enjoyed my previous two JKs. The ride is great, nice and smooth, but the squirrelly, 'vehicle performs as designed' steering guts my sense of enjoyment. I drove each of the previous JKs halfway across the country, and I've actively avoided doing the same because keeping my JLUR between the whites lines on my 27 mile commute gets exhausting.

Still hopeful I can find a solution to that. When that happens, I have no doubt I'll get the Jeep onroad joy back.
Sponsored